Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

1/8 on-road ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 on-road ?

ORIGINAL: xON3MERCx

It would be nice to have a car with great handling. I have been looking at the XRAY but like you said Foxy I have just been considering my opions. The parking lot that I will be going to is really nice about the size of walmarts but maintained buy a church so it is nice and clean so rocks dont really matter at this point. The reason I have been looking at onroad is because i have taken the buggys to this lot but its only fun for a little bit. They have the power but no traction what so ever. So i just thought why not build a kick ass onroad car to rip it up come spring.

Do it then, get the Xray, not only is there nothing better for the price, you'd have to double the price to get something better.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Foxy

However, if your parking lot is that killer, go the whole hog and get the Motonica. You will not BELIEVE the performance.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 AM
xON3MERCx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the Motonica is really killer just the body style does not do it for me. Are there any others out there that would fit it.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Foxy

The body is as much a part of the performance of the car as the suspension or the tires. You would kill the dynamics of it if you changed it, it wouldn't be the same car. That's how serious these particular cars are. In any case, it doesn't look as bad as you think, and most of what we call '1/8th lola' bodies will fit, so if you find a lola body you like better, you could 'probably' fit it with little difficulty. Those big side fins and high rear spoiler are absolutely essential, don't even think about getting rid of them. You probably heard that a real formula 1 car could almost drive upside down at full speed because of the downforce. The Motonica is the same, its unbelievable cornering at speed is due to the body.

This is what makes part of the skill of racing them. If you go into a corner too slowly you lose downforce and come off the track, you have to be really brave and have faith in the car, just like the formula 1 drivers.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 AM
xON3MERCx

Ok so I have been looking at the Motonica kit but who sells them the only one i can find is on amain. Is there a kit out there that comes with a body or do i need to get it from somewhere else? If so where? Just trying to price out the whole kit electronics, body, tires and anything else i might need. But i am not just sold on the Motonica the XRAY is still in my mind. Man this is hard to choose.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Foxy

If it was between the 2, I'd say Xray hands down. Only because I have personal experience of their quality, more than 6 of their cars have passed through my hands, and every one has been a rock solid race winner and durable to boot. My NT1 once had a BAAAAD crash at 55mph at the end of the straight, bounced over the track fence and down a rocky hillside. Damage? A big chunk out of one of the foam tires. [&:]

Similarly, my XB8 (buggy) crashed full tilt into a car tire at about 50 mph. One front upper arm broken, that was it. With quality of parts and the way they fit together, strength and precision is inherent. I can't recommend them highly enough.

The only thing that would lean me toward the Motonica is the nutty performance, the turn off is that Motonica, while a good brand, are not well supported. You could always try to find the Serpent in the video, 966e. It will be more expensive, but I'll wager it's better and will come with a body. Also easier to find parts, although I doubt you will ever break anything.

It is a difficult choice, but I'd say get the Xray and if you feel like going to something madder, consider a 1/8th down the line, especially if you get bitten by a track.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Foxy

Having said all that...I don't currently own any on road cars (apart from one cheap electric for in the house), and if I was to buy one, I would go straight for the DM-one or the other cheaper GTP2e. Why? Because they take the mad 1/8th scale electronics that I like. These 1/8th rally cars are absolutely MAD on 6S, the problem is the rate at which you will go through tires. The fact that the bodies aren't to scale kills me though, they look like cartoons, wide and short because of the buggy chassis.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 AM
xON3MERCx

Well thanks for the help. Now i just have to choose. Alot harder that it sounds. Will post back when I have maid up my mine. OH one more thing I have tried to search for some builds on these cars but cant find anything on this form. It could just be me but if you know of one were I can learn some more let me know.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:44 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Kyosho GT2 bodies look much more scale. The GT1 looked like cartoons, but the GT2 Corvette for ex. looks great IMO.. The new Alpha bodies for the GT class are awesome too..

There is an Italian company that makes some very nice scale looking bodies - just expensive to import.. I think you can find them - and lots of other GT stuff - at a web-store called igthobbies or something like that...
Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Foxy

You won't need any pre-assistance, just have some good tools and you'll be all set, whichever you choose. Any questions at all about anything during the build, take a pic of the part, the relevant part of the manual, and post away.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

There is an electric DM-One. But any nitro can be converted. My personal choice in this segment would probably be the GTP2e, very cheap, nothing included (so I could put my own electric system) and OFNA stuff is always tough as nails.
Hey Foxy, could you post a link to the GTPe?
I have a CC1512 2650kv motor lying around, that might work well on 4s in this..
Thanks
Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM
xON3MERCx

ORIGINAL: srt10

ORIGINAL: Foxy

There is an electric DM-One. But any nitro can be converted. My personal choice in this segment would probably be the GTP2e, very cheap, nothing included (so I could put my own electric system) and OFNA stuff is always tough as nails.
Hey Foxy, could you post a link to the GTPe?
I have a CC1512 2650kv motor lying around, that might work well on 4s in this..
Thanks

You can find it on www.amainhobbies.com
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Foxy

So what did you end up deciding Merc?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 AM
xON3MERCx

Well the XRAYT3won my heart!!!! Going with the 2012. Should be here sometime next week cant wait. I know its not 1/8 scale but should still be a nice car to own.I'm going to take my time to build it and then start on the hunt for some electrionces. There is really no hurry now that it is starting to snow here but come spring WATCH OUT!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:25 PM
FoamyVictim

You should be very pleased. Xray is second to none in quality. I have a couple of their cars. Great quality, excellent handling, just all around fantastic kits... enjoy.

Here's a vid of some racing in a parking lot. Mine's the red car that stays in camera. Its a T2R Pro. I'm using a "Hat Cam", its mounted to my hat and looks where I do. Though I get shoved across the start line prematurely(they BOTH jumped the start because the computer counted down, in stead of waiting for the horn to blow... ) I still managed to win. [8D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nt2LlyACg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nt2LlyACg[/youtube]
Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM
xON3MERCx

Nice thanks for the video. I think it will be a nice car for me. I would have really liked to get an 1/8 scale but finally decided to give the XRAY a try.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 AM
FoamyVictim

You know, if 8th scale were bigger in and around the states, I'd be happy to invest in a nice one. Sadly, I'd have to drive 8+ hours just to be near a track that "might" have enough to make a club race. Otherwise, I'd need to go to premiere events like the Snowbirds, etc... I generally don't go to bigger events, because people drive like their lives are on the line. I much prefer the casual nature of club level racing. We do have a new on road track planned that's a mere 1.5 hour's drive away. I'm hoping it comes together soon, and who knows... maybe 8th scale on road will take a foothold. The things are AMAZING to drive. [8D]

Have fun with it man, should be a great car.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
srt10

I'm not sure of any 8th scale tracks in my neck of the woods??
Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 AM
xON3MERCx

Same here. There is no on-road tracks that i know of in Montana. Just wanting a nice on-road rc. You know dad has to have his "CAR". But the parking lot thats just down my house is really big and well keeped by the church that owns it. Should be fun can't wait!!!!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:26 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: xON3MERCx

Same here. There is no on-road tracks that i know of in Montana. Just wanting a nice on-road rc. You know dad has to have his ''CAR''. But the parking lot thats just down my house is really big and well keeped by the church that owns it. Should be fun can't wait!!!!

oh, church parking lots are awesome fun!