Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

1/8 on-road ?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 AM
xON3MERCx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 on-road ?

Hi, Ihave been looking at building a kit this winter. Really want a on-road car but cant find any 1/8 electrickits out there. Does anyone know of any? Ican find 1/10 electric kits but I like the bigger scale cars. Any help would be great.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 AM
HerrSavage

Default RE: 1/8 on-road ?

Ofna DM-1..
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Foxy

Not exactly a great selection, but here ya go...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...8-On-Road-Kits

There's always the Kyosho Inferno GT2 with an electric conversion kit http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Conversion-Kit
Old 11-10-2011, 06:57 AM
xON3MERCx

I would like to keep it electric.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Foxy

There is an electric DM-One. But any nitro can be converted. My personal choice in this segment would probably be the GTP2e, very cheap, nothing included (so I could put my own electric system) and OFNA stuff is always tough as nails.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 AM
xON3MERCx

Motonica P81RS Electron 1/8 Electric On Road.... Know anything on this one?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Foxy

It's a serious race car, Motonica are a decent brand too. Only foam tires, which will be destroyed on anything other than a track. Also, it's belt drive, so you need to stay away from small stones etc, but this makes it very smooth and able to take any amount of power. Apart from that, with a hot brushless setup it'll be the fastest RC round an asphalt track that there is, as are it's nitro brethren. You ever seen a formula 1/8th go? Nitro or electric, they are a sight to behold, hang on, I'll try to find you a video.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Foxy

Haha, here's a good one, this is an electric as well. Too fast for this guy... [&:]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjCx42OYQw[/youtube]
Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 AM
xON3MERCx

For some reason I cant view the video. Can you give me a link?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:40 AM
HerrSavage

The real 1/8 scale racers are neat and all, but I wouldn't bother.. That stuff, from what I gather, requires serious know-how and wrenching.. And yeah, forget parking lots..

The DM-1 is good quality.. I have two.. The clutch-bell is just stupid, but yeah, with electric it might be different.. And if not, with a well-stocked LHS you might be able to use something else..
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Foxy

Yeh, to be honest, you might wanna think again. 1/8th formula cars are for the most dedicated racers, and are totally single purpose machines, not for parking lots. But a hell of a model to own. Here's a link...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjCx42OYQw
Old 11-10-2011, 03:39 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

I saw one guy almost a year ago asking the same questions. It appears that 1/8th scale on-road is small still b/c they haven't expanded their race class. It seems So loose - 1/8 4WD, then seperated. 1/8 on-road, BITD, only LeMans style 2WD (to match the old skool stuff).

Two, if we're lucky, will show up for 1/8th scale SCtruck racing, zero for 1/8 4WD buggies, and zero on-road 1/8th scale whatsoever.

Good luck though !!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Foxy

Nitro 1/8th on road (using the lola style cars, aka 1/8th formula) is one of the most competitive classes in Greece still. You can find some good driving on youtube by searching for Lamberto Collari (many times world champ in this class). These world class 1/8th formula drivers were absolutely amazing. One of the few classes where the young guys couldn't dominate, because experience pays.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:40 AM
xON3MERCx

Well Foxy that video was really sweet but I dont think there is a track like that around where I live. BUUUTTTTT you did get some wheels turning upstairs!!!! See I really dont know that much about on road cars. I have a couple of buggys that have now been taken over by my son and my wife ( if you can beleave that). So I'm just looking for a new project. I want 1/8 Kit but also have been looking at some 1/10 scale ones as well. Would really like it to be manufactured by a well know good company. My LHS really dosnt have anything that I have been looking for but thats ok they also dont carry any parts for my buggys. So when stuff brakes I buy new or if i cant wait I find something and make it work. I have been reading through the 1/10 RC Formula 1 thread man do some of those guys do great jobs. Are there any 1/8 Formula 1 cars out there or is it just straight 1/10. I really like how those bodys look.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 AM
HerrSavage

Look into the Ofna Dm-1 or GTP, or a Kyosho GT2.. All are based on buggies, and in the DM-1 case anyway, share quite a few parts.. I know Ofna now has a brushless kit for the DM-1.

Search.. OK, here ya go:

http://www.nitrohouse.com/p24575/OFN...d2fd322013da23

www.amainhobbies.com and www.towerhobbies.com and www.stormerhobbies.com or www.absolutehobbyz.com might have it too - all good shops to order from...
Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Foxy

If you want a high quality 1/10th on road for a reasonable price, this is really hard to beat...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ic-Touring-Car

It's based on Xray's flagship 1/10th car, but made with fibreboard instead of carbon fibre, reducing the price significantly, but offering no disadvatanges in terms of weight or strength. One mildly annoying thing though is that it doesn't come with swaybars, but they aren't expensive to buy separately. If you've never owned or built an Xray car, you're in for a treat, their parts quality, fit and finish and instruction manuals are second to none in the hobby. I used to race a nitro Xray NT1, still one of my favorite cars ever. The owner of Xray, Juraj Hudy was a world famous 1/8th formula racer too, so he knows his stuff, especially about on road.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:26 AM
HerrSavage

But then again, as you go down in scale, you run into the same problems as with the Formula 1/8 - no good unless on perfectly smooth and groomed purpose-built tracks..

For the street, or parking lots, or in my case a local track which still gets stones and junk on it, 1/8 GT - i.e. Ofna DM-1 and Kyosho GT2 et al is really the only way to go for onroad.. If anything, something bigger, like a 1/5 gasser... I had a 1/10 Kyosho 1/10 FW-05T, and honestly it was one of the best quality, most durable and reliable, best value-for-money RC's I've had, but it's small size just made it very limited in terms of where I can run it..

Here's a short clip of me goofing off with my 1/7 DM-1 at the local park/open track..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_K6zjx6iGY

ps BTW, X-ray is working on a 1/8 GT car, coming out sometime soon hopefully.. Should be top-of-the-world quality-wise in 1/8 GT...
Old 11-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Foxy

Nah, I disagree, 1/10th race cars are much more forgiving than 1/8th formula lola cars. The ride heights are the same, only one can use rubber tires and be raised higher. A 1/10th (even a belter like the Xray) will do fine in parking lots, as long as there aren't too many small stones to get in the belts.

I agree that the DM-one is the ultimate parking lot on road, but it doesn't give the precision feel that a 'real' on road car gives. I guess we should ask Merc what he's looking for from his on road car. If he doesn't mind drifty rally like handling, sure, one of the OFNAs or the GT2 with conversion (all of swhich I linked in my first post in the thread by the way ), but if he wants that knife edge handling that you can only get from an on road race car, the 1/8th bashers aren't gonna give him that.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:31 AM
HerrSavage

Well that knife-edge handling is really only relevant on a track... If you're not running on a track, then what you want is durability and something that doesn't limit you too much in terms of where you can run it - IMO..

For that reason I wouldn't get anything with belts..
Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Foxy

Belts are far superior to shaft, with only one disadvantage, the small stones thing...but still, a shaft dfriven 1/10th would give that sharp handling feel, but not 'as' sharp as the Xray (who don't offer a shaft driven car, being as they only make cars for racing, not bashing).

I agree with you for the most part, in that I really do think the right car to choose is the DM-one, but hey, I'm making sure he considers all the options. Everyone should own an Xray car in their hobby careers, it's an experience in and of itself just building them. Really beautiful cars and engineering.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Foxy

Oh, and as for the Xray GT car, I'm sure it will be amazing, but if it comes out before the electric truggy which I've now been waiting for for nearly two years, I'm gonna be PISSED.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 AM
HerrSavage

I'm convinced about X-ray quality.. Would love to have one.. (though I'm a tightwad, so stick with Associated and Losi because of part availability and prices.. Maybe a buggy or truggy - if they update the latter - some day.. Already drowning in Asso and Losi parts though...)

There's been a lot going on and a lot of development in 1/8 GT btw - in some places they have pretty big races.. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMoef...layer_embedded

Most are 1/8 GT cars.. - and a couple of 1/10..

How freaking awesome is that track?... [X(]
Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 AM
HerrSavage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ZJ6KWGL1I
Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 AM
xON3MERCx

It would be nice to have a car with great handling. I have been looking at the XRAY but like you said Foxy I have just been considering my opions. The parking lot that I will be going to is really nice about the size of walmarts but maintained buy a church so it is nice and clean so rocks dont really matter at this point. The reason I have been looking at onroad is because i have taken the buggys to this lot but its only fun for a little bit. They have the power but no traction what so ever. So i just thought why not build a kick ass onroad car to rip it up come spring.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 AM
HerrSavage

Rocks and pebbles are relative. You don't notice them of course with a buggy. The lot might look VERY smooth with a buggy.. But if you look REALLY closely, it can be hard to find a truly pebble-free parking lot.. And with a belt-driven car, you have to be extra sure about this..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.