Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

sprint 2 sport

Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Winslow253

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sprint 2 sport

my sprint to sport keeps killing motors, its been blowning motors every week of racing for the a couple of months, this is really making me mad cause i havent been able to finish a main, last week it even had one catch fire, why is it doing this, its a couple hpi 15turn, 2 venom 15turn, and atleast 5 orion 15turn, when i open them up its usually just the cores that are all burnt up, it also has a big shake when it hooks up around some corners
Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: sprint 2 sport

It would help if we knew what type of ESC and batteries you are using.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Winslow253

A traxxas xl5 and venom 2s 20c lipo
Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 PM
t9dragon

That could be your issue right there.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Winslow253

What could?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 AM
marcuskeeler

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

What kind of stuff you smoking? You see that's the problem with a lot of users like t9dragon. They just post useless drivvel to get their post count up and in the meantime the forum gets choked up with useless posts. No wonder this forum gets slower and slower...
Old 01-29-2012, 05:32 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

What kind of stuff you smoking? You see that's the problem with a lot of users like t9dragon. They just post useless drivvel to get their post count up and in the meantime the forum gets choked up with useless posts. No wonder this forum gets slower and slower...
What is your problem? I don't see you posting anything to help.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 AM
FoamyVictim

You might be over, or under geared. Smoking the comm like that often means there is something else wrong. When there is NO MOTOR in the car, is there a ton of drag when you try to roll the car? You might have some binding.

By now, with all the money you spent on cheap brushed motors(which often don't live very long anyway) you could've bought one decent brushless system and be done with it.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM
marcuskeeler

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

You might be over, or under geared. Smoking the comm like that often means there is something else wrong. When there is NO MOTOR in the car, is there a ton of drag when you try to roll the car? You might have some binding.

By now, with all the money you spent on cheap brushed motors(which often don't live very long anyway) you could've bought one decent brushless system and be done with it.
The OP is running in a brushed class so the brushless option remains irrelevant. I agree totally with the drag test though, that's the most probable cause (and something fitting a brushless system won't fix).

I know the track that Winslow runs on. The Fireball motors are good for Two evenings of competitive racing only [with the correct gearing]. Any useage outside that (bashing at home on the street etc) will reduce the life of course. I know that sucks but it's a matter of fact. Some of the guys have tried the Orion 15d motors and they last about the same time which sucks even more because they cost more money. The main difference I see with the HPI motors is that they generally give fair notice that they are on the way out, the performance drops away, wheras the Orions simply grenade.

A reasonable gearing on that track with the fireball is about a 23-24 pinion with stock spur.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Winslow253

Their doesn't seem to be any binding, I've tried stock gearing 23 pinion with a 90 spur, ive gone lower in gearing and I've gone higher but nothing helped, is it possible my esc could be bad and putting to many amps to the motors ?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:15 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

Calm down buddy, that's out of line. t9 is one of the most helpful members we have. If you respond like that to every one liner you disagree with, your stay here will be a short one.

Please, try to always be respectful, even when you think others are being disrespectful and especially when disagreeing with someone. Also, the PM system is for communicating between members, not initiating personal attacks.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Winslow253

Their doesn't seem to be any binding, I've tried stock gearing 23 pinion with a 90 spur, ive gone lower in gearing and I've gone higher but nothing helped, is it possible my esc could be bad and putting to many amps to the motors ?
It could be an ESC problem, but no, it's not possible for an ESC to 'send' more amps than a motor can use. It works the other way around, the motor pulls as many amps from the ESC as it wants to. Your problem has to be a drivetrain issue or an ESC issue, even if you can't feel the binding, I strongly suspect that's what it is. Maybe two gears aren't meshing properly? It's hard to say. I'd recommend a full stripdown and rebuild to see if you can find something.