Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Reedy Sonic 17.5 with a Tekin ESC

Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reedy Sonic 17.5 with a Tekin ESC

Hi guys,

I was running a Fantom 17.5 T Brushless motor with a Tekin RS ESC and keeping up with the other Stock cars. Th shaft broke in the motor, so I bought a Reedy Sonic 17.5 T Brushless to replace it. The new motor is running with the same gearing (6:1 FDR) and the same Tekin ESC and settings. But the car is dead slow. My speedo used to show 68 km/hr down the straight before, not even with 45 deg motor timing, the best I get is 50 kms/hr.

Can anyone gve me any ideas why the motor/ESC are running so slow.

PS This is in a Serpent S411 with a Reedy 5000 mAHr 60 C battery.

Sam
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Default RE: Reedy Sonic 17.5 with a Tekin ESC

Not all motors are created equal. You will get some that will run better than others and also, some motors like diffrent gearing.
Iwould recamend double checking all conections, make sure your esc setings are good and if that doesn't help, try diffrent gearing.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the entire drivetrain is smooth and nothing is bent. When the rotor shaft failed, it may have caused some damage.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:41 PM

I am almost positive that there is a problem with the motor. It is acting like the stator is assembled incorrectly or something similar. I set up the ESC to have zero boost and have forward and reverse.

When I run the car forward it has half the speed that it has in reverse. I have to move the timing to 45 deg for forward and reverse to have equal speed.

When I set the ESC to have boost, in the air with zero motor timing, the car shows 30 kms/hr forward and 140 kms/hr in reverse.