Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Another What to Buy Question?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another What to Buy Question?

If YOU were going to start racing on a local level what would you start out with? Would you build or go RTR out of box.. I guess there is a local club that has monthly races.. I know I should go and see what everyone else is running, but so far have only talked to a member through Facebook.. He said that this when asked what they are running... "<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; background-color: rgb(237, 239, 244);">1/10 Touring, 1/10 pan car, SC Trucks, Mini Coopers (and one Volkswagon). Beginner class is "run what you brought"</span>
So with that what would should I look into? Not wanting to spend $Thousands$... Just wanna have a little fun
<br type="_moz" />
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Another What to Buy Question?

would have to know the rules the go by 1st
some RC's in the sedan area I've seen look great but only if they have BL setups at certain KV, where some races rules limit to say brushed or a particular turn of BL motor.

Personally if it was me I'd go have a look which looks more fun, and has the most competitin as remember you would be buying it to run with them primarily.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 AM

I think for a beginner I can race anything... What are some of the most common rules ?
I take it as BL is Brushless.. What's KV ?
<br type="_moz" />
Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 AM

For me personaly, I like pan cars. Irun 10th scale WGT and 12th scale on road and also 10th and 12th scale oval.
In my opinion, touring cars are a bit to complicated for a new racer, but pan cars aren't that much easier, so it depends what is
being run and what kind of support you have. With whatever you decide to run start slow, learn to drive and te cars set up.
Most importantly, have fun. RC racing can be a boat load of fun or it can drive you crazy, the choice in yours!

P.S. KVis the rating on brushless motors. The higher the KV rating, the faster the motor. (I could be wrong, if so someone please correct me)
All I run is sensored motors and they are rated by turns. The most popular in our club is a 17.5 stock, but there are a bunch of others available.
Hit up web pages for companies like Novak, Tekin, Castle Creations and any other motor manufacturers and they can answer your questions.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: OvalRacer99

For me personaly, I like pan cars. I run 10th scale WGT and 12th scale on road and also 10th and 12th scale oval.
In my opinion, touring cars are a bit to complicated for a new racer, but pan cars aren't that much easier, so it depends what is
being run and what kind of support you have. With whatever you decide to run start slow, learn to drive and te cars set up.
Most importantly, have fun. RC racing can be a boat load of fun or it can drive you crazy, the choice in yours!

P.S. KV is the rating on brushless motors. The higher the KV rating, the faster the motor. (I could be wrong, if so someone please correct me)

All I run is sensored motors and they are rated by turns. The most popular in our club is a 17.5 stock, but there are a bunch of others available.
Hit up web pages for companies like Novak, Tekin, Castle Creations and any other motor manufacturers and they can answer your questions.

yes, and no you are correct the higher the KV the fater the motor, but no cause that's not all it is
Its actually the RPM per volt of the motor so you can figure out the approximate revolutions. For example a 4000kv motor on 2S spins about as much as a 2600kv motor on 3S. Technically the 3S in the example should generate less heat as its pulling less current through the ESC to do the same work due to the higher voltage.
BUT in on-road that really don't matter that much as most onroads are light as hell anyways
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

for an on road this would not matter as syco said.... But isn't it true that a higher kv means less torque?? eg: a 3800 compared to a 5700 in a SCT.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 AM

There are too many variables to say that with certainty. For example, it would be wrong to say that all 2000kv motors make more torque than all 2650kv motors. It may be the case more often than not, but if a motor is built for torque, it will have longer internals.

One example is the Tekin range of buggy/truggy motors. The buggy motors are shorter use less amps to startup due to the reduced weight of the stator. The truggy motors are longer and use more current to start up, delivering more overall torque in order to power the larger wheels and higher weight of a truggy. Of course the trade off is power consumption.

I would expect the truggy 2200kv to be both faster and torquier than the buggy 2000kv when used in the same application.

Basically, yeh, its technically correct, all things being equal. In reality though, all things are rarely equal.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a novice, I would recommend the mini class (tamiya M-chassis being the minis and one Volkswagen). It tends to be a "fun" class versus a serious racer class. Costs are well in control as you have to run the same inexpensive car, tamiya can motor it came with, and a very limited number of tire choices.

If you decide to try the mini class, the RTR will be as competitive as a stock kit.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Foxy

There are too many variables to say that with certainty. For example, it would be wrong to say that all 2000kv motors make more torque than all 2650kv motors. It may be the case more often than not, but if a motor is built for torque, it will have longer internals.

One example is the Tekin range of buggy/truggy motors. The buggy motors are shorter use less amps to startup due to the reduced weight of the stator. The truggy motors are longer and use more current to start up, delivering more overall torque in order to power the larger wheels and higher weight of a truggy. Of course the trade off is power consumption.

I would expect the truggy 2200kv to be both faster and torquier than the buggy 2000kv when used in the same application.

Basically, yeh, its technically correct, all things being equal. In reality though, all things are rarely equal.
So can I put a 1/8 truggy motor in my rc8.2e I am saving up for and gear it up a bit more and still have it run cool at the expense of weight and power consumption?
<br type="_moz" />
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 AM

Yes. I am currently on the lookout for a cheap Castle 1717 (MASSIVE motor) for my truggy. I will gear it to the moon and need to inform air traffic control whenever I run it.