Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Most important upgrades?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most important upgrades?

Hey guys hows it going? Im going to be ordering the tt01e or an HPIsprint. Are there mods that should be done first and foremost, or is it just a matter of preference? Ive been reading up on as much as i can but nothing seems to be set in stone. For example in a real car most street modders will do an intake, exhaust, header set up first. Also are tower, amain the top choices for ordering online? Any help and info is greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has anything for sale please feel free to contact me.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Most important upgrades?

well if looking for aftermarket parts on the tt01e best place is probably thetoyz.com
Tower probably has the best price on the kit though

As for mandatory upgrades uhhh only thing I can think of is get better shocks as the stock are friction. I use HPI RS4 evo 3 shocks on mine.

After that do what you want as there isn't any mandatory list of upgrades like on other RC's. I'll list what I did and why I did it though.

What I upgraded
Steering setup to aluminum
Knuckles to aluminum, and rear hubs too
That was to remove steering slop

Upgraded the dogbones to steel, with the out drives off the diffs, and the axles.

ESC to brushless 35A 9t Hobbywing. Why cause I had it sitting on my desk, and I dislike the TEU104K ESC

I also modified the location of the front body mounts so I could mount up HPI bodies easier as the tamiya locations were really off for the body I wanted(and would have made it impossible to mount).

BTW outside the shocks,and body mount those upgrades I did were mainly cause I run a 9t brushless motor in mine, and the stock steering parts at high speeds were causing me a little bit of an issue when trying to drive straight at extremely high speeds. Pretty much mine goes probably 2X faster than it was designed for If you want it on stock 27t motor the stock setup would be probably ok.
The stock dogbones, out drives, and axles might work with brushless I just happened to have the parts sitting around from another Tamiya RC so I slapped em in while I was building it.

Also if you are going to keep the ESC that comes in the box buy a $7 UBEC(links at bottom), as the stock esc will damage some newer radios. To connect it plug it into the red/black wire coming out of the ESC, and disconnect the red wire (can pop it out of the harness with a pin and electrical tape it) on the wire that has 3 colors. If you need I can get a pic off my hornet of what it looks like setup as I use the ESC in that.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ub2liin.html one I use
http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-6v-3a-ubec.html looks decent, and is a bit cheaper never used though
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alum. driveshaft and outdrives. I didn't like the plastic driveshaft in the tt-01. with stock electronics I don't think it'd matter... but I went brushless right away. (back to brushed right now, stole the brushless for another truck.) OH also, alot of the tt-01 cars come with bushings instead of bearings. I also went full bearings right away.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: KID_EVIL!

Alum. driveshaft and outdrives. I didn't like the plastic driveshaft in the tt-01. with stock electronics I don't think it'd matter... but I went brushless right away. (back to brushed right now, stole the brushless for another truck.) OH also, alot of the tt-01 cars come with bushings instead of bearings. I also went full bearings right away.
ohh yea forgot about the bushings
yea 100% recommended right away get bearings

as for the alum driveshafts I have 3 tamiyas on brushless with the center shaft still plastic, and its holding up fine. Kinda why I dunno if the dogbones need it(specially for on-road, my one I used the parts off of is an off road RC).
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

outstanding guys, thanks for the info.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to hear on the stock drive shaft syco.. I was worried about it twisting and snaping under power... they seem quite flexable. BTW syco, what are you running in your tt-01 for motor choice? I had a 5700 castle in but took it out for my stampede. Looking to upgrade a little, swapped the 2 systems stamp system (not stock) into the tt-01. Not sure what that motor is really, in the tt-01 but want a 15t or 12t traxxas if it'll fit (length) Just for some parking lot racing.....