Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

TC4 accessories ?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 PM
BillinIndiana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC4 accessories ?

I'm new and thinking of getting a TC4 frame to build an electric racer.. What should I get to go with it? I want to stay reasonable on my parts, so please no $300 motors..Haha. I just want to be able to halfway compete in an amateur race. I'm thinking I would like to go brushless.

Any recommendations for a nice starter setup with the above mentioned frame? Thanks
Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 AM
OvalRacer99

Default RE: TC4 accessories ?

A little more info would be helpful. When you say "frame" are meaning a roller minus electronics or just the chassis and you are in need of suspension, running gear and electronics?

If all you need is electronics, you can find decent transmiter, reciever, servo set ups at almost any hobby shop. As far as esc and motor, you can go low end chineese stuff found on EBay or higher end from companies like Novak, Tekin or Castle Creations (Mamba). I use a Turnagy Trackstar esc with a Novak Velosity 25.5 in my TC4 to race Vintage Trans Am. My radio gear is Airtronics M11 2.4ghz transmiter and reciever.

Hit the web and do a bit of research, all the info you need is out there if you take the time to look!!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: OvalRacer99

A little more info would be helpful. When you say "frame" are meaning a roller minus electronics or just the chassis and you are in need of suspension, running gear and electronics?

Here's what I had in mind
www.google.com/shopping/product/3523718227958466927

Hit the web and do a bit of research, all the info you need is out there if you take the time to look!!
That's why I came here, who better to ask than the people that have used the parts?

EDIT: also I was thinking of taking advantage of the 10% Memorial Day Sale at A Main Hobbies, so I was trying to get as much of the parts needed in one order.. Thanks again!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:05 AM
ozzy9039
My Feedback: (6)

If you are planning on racing; You will need to know what classification you want to race in & they will have a motor limit/range. Then that will help you narrow it down at least to what range of motor speed you are looking at. If you are just looking to do some track running then its up to you. Remember, on a track "top speed" is not all what is important.
Some possible good motor recommendations below:

Few motors in some different price ranges for you to take a look at:
Good bang for your buck

Reedy 3300kv
Traxxas Velineon
Duratrax Onyx
Dynamite Fuze

(Can look at thier ESC's for a set as well or mix & match so to speak with other ESC's you may like)

Recommended Tires (if allowable in your class)

I highly recommend having the 31mm tires in the rear if allowable in your class. I like having a little more meat in the rear... I am considering going 31mm for front as well (using standard 26mm for front right now)

RX/TX:

A good all around 2.4ghz RX/TX combo could be the Spektrum DX3c and SR rx's another good bang for your buck.

You can look at some of the stuff from Turnigy etc.... heard good things & it will save you $, but I do not have any personal experience with there motor/esc's. Hope this helps some. Just some recommendations.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 AM
BillinIndiana

Thanks Oz, yes I believe the race track I'm looking into has a beginner class that is "race what you brought" . So I guess it can be anything. I'll have to look into to see if there are any other classes, but for now I'm definitely a Beginner
Old 05-25-2013, 11:22 AM
BillinIndiana

After thinking about it I guess I could change the Rx in the T-Maxx if I had to.. Huh?

ORIGINAL: ozzy9039

RX/TX:

A good all around 2.4ghz RX/TX combo could be the Spektrum DX3c and SR rx's another good bang for your buck.

I have an old T-Maxx.. the one that came with the .15 pro in it.. Do you know if I'll be able to Bind it to this Tx ?
Old 05-25-2013, 07:44 PM
ozzy9039

Well, welcome to racing my friend!... To me, on-road is about the track... even if you are making your own in a parking lot. I would recommend a brushless setup for sure, but just remember throttle control. I am currently running a 3300kv & I never get more than 1/2 throttle on my straight away. Plenty of speed.

Most importantly, Enjoy it ... let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Have fun & welcome.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:47 PM
ozzy9039

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

After thinking about it I guess I could change the Rx in the T-Maxx if I had to.. Huh?

RX/TX:

I have an old T-Maxx.. the one that came with the .15 pro in it.. Do you know if I'll be able to Bind it to this Tx ?

The TX's/RX's are individually specific. So for example, you would need a Spektrum rx & tx .... or a Traxxas rx & tx etc. Unfortunately, there is no cross binding that I know of.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 PM
BillinIndiana

The TX's/RX's are individually specific. So for example, you would need a Spektrum rx & tx .... or a Traxxas rx & tx etc. Unfortunately, there is no cross binding that I know of.
Oh.. I thought I could put a Spektrum Rx in the T-maxx, but I see what you're saying about the brands needing to match.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 AM
ozzy9039

Just to clarify: You can put the Spektrum rx in the Traxxas, but you will need a Spektrum tx. The tx & rx have to match (the vehicle doesn't matter).

Or you can just get another Traxxas rx & put in your car & then use the Traxxas tx for both if you like. I'm not sure which traxxas tx you have, but as long as you can link it you should be fine.

One recommendation for track running in regards to the tx: Look for something with exponent. This allows you to adjust the sensitivity around 0. Meaning, when you get on your straight away, a hair of turn on the wheel doesn't slam you into a wall, but the farther you turn your wheel the more it gives you & it does not limit your steering. Some like straight linear control, but a lot of people use exponent tuning (I do as well). Just something to think about when thinking about which transmitter you want to use.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 PM
BillinIndiana

I was looking at the specs for the TC4 chassis and it says it has a Internal Gear Ratio: 2.5:1
Does this effect what motor I put in it?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:10 PM
ozzy9039

Not really.

Your main thing to think about is what pinion gear you want to run on the motor. Now, that is a bit of a loaded response. It depends on what motor & what you are looking for. For example, Low end speed (quick acceleration), High top end, or in between. It also effects run times as well. Be careful as you can over/under gear. To high a gearing and you can overheat.... to low a gearing & you rob yourself some speed.

First pick your motor, then the pinion gear is a small (cheap) end to the means. You can play around with this as well as long as you keep a general safe range.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 PM
BillinIndiana

That raises another questionI have. What is too much motor for the TC4? I'm not real positive on how the electric motors are rated, is it rpm's?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM
ozzy9039

Sent you a long ranted email with some info