Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

need some advice...

Old 06-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice...

Lately ive been wanting to build a high speed car that can drift too. Ideally I want to run 75+ mph and then just switch gearing, tires, and batt when I wanna drift. I know nothing about on road cars. I have a pending sale on a vintage stadium truck right now that'll give me $100 to get started. So far I have 2 options for a car. 1 guy selling a tc4 roller with a servo and some other parts for 100, or another guy wanting to trade an hpi e10 roller missing front dogbones and drive cups for a losi xxx-t matt francis that ive got. The losi has an lrp sphere esc and a reedy neo one motor on it. So if I buy the tc4 and keep the losi then ive got an esc and motor to put in it already or if I trade the losi for the e10 then ive got 100 to put toward a motor and esc. Which way should I go?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:43 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I'd go with the E10 trade. You can get a 3.5 motor off Hobbyking for 30 dollars, and a 120 amp ESC for 40, which leaves you room for those parts you need to get.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by collector1231
I'd go with the E10 trade. You can get a 3.5 motor off Hobbyking for 30 dollars, and a 120 amp ESC for 40, which leaves you room for those parts you need to get.
Hi, the HPI E10 is a ready made car with no adjustments on the suspension at all. The TC4 is a much better car for what he wants.
Regards
Norman2
Old 06-16-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Norman2
Hi, the HPI E10 is a ready made car with no adjustments on the suspension at all. The TC4 is a much better car for what he wants.
Regards
Norman2
After doin some research last night, this is what im thinkin too. From what ive read, the e10s diff gears wont handle crazy amounts of power...
Old 06-17-2014, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twineuros
After doin some research last night, this is what im thinkin too. From what ive read, the e10s diff gears wont handle crazy amounts of power...
Hi twin euros, The Sakura Sport from TQ racing is another choice for you, It is about 129.00 and if you are looking for speed it is
belt driven vs. shaft driven TC-4. Ir also has all the adjustability and strong enough for any brushless application. I will post a photo of it in a little while. Go to TQ Racing site and you will
find it under Kits and you can take a look at the specs. Remember a belt driven car is much
faster in top speed because of less resistance in the drive train. Again good luck.
Norman
PS Attached photo and it is only 119.00 with free shipping from California.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sakura Sport X1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2006020  

Last edited by Norman2; 06-17-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Norman2
Hi twin euros, The Sakura Sport from TQ racing is another choice for you, It is about 129.00 and if you are looking for speed it is
belt driven vs. shaft driven TC-4. Ir also has all the adjustability and strong enough for any brushless application. I will post a photo of it in a little while. Go to TQ Racing site and you will
find it under Kits and you can take a look at the specs. Remember a belt driven car is much
faster in top speed because of less resistance in the drive train. Again good luck.

Norman
PS Attached photo and it is only 119.00 with free shipping from California.
Thanks for the help but im trying to stay with shaft driven because ill be driving the car mostly in my old beat up driveway with a lot of loose rocks and pebbles, the street in front of my house, and the parking lot at work. I dont wanna sweep any of those so I would be tearing up belts all the time...
Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great point about shaft vs belt and durability...but the e10 is not a very good chassis to start with. I've had one with no kidding (search RCUniverse for the HPI e10 thread) I've had nearly every possible upgrade and mod done to mine... Yeah sure it drifted ok-ish it was never anything great. And as a Touring car with rubber tyres it sucked. That's when u start seeing its massive design issues.

Mind u, u can upgrade the car to fix 99% of the E10's problems but it will end up costing way more than the car is worth.

we all know about the advantages of belt driven cars and front mount motors for drifting and rallying...

my suggestion would be to save up $200 and get a Tamiya XV01... They do need electronics but they are so cheap on ebay.... Some things are crazy cheap.
The XV01 is a front mounted belt driven chassis with fully inclosed belts for offroad use. So it's like the best of both worlds.
keep in mind aswell its a standard touring car size so any awesome 1/10 bodies and wheels u see online would be a direct fit.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:34 PM

What about a losi xxxs? Got a guy tryna sell me a all graphote roller with some extra wheels and stuff for 90 but I know its gettin hard to find parts for them...
Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 PM

Yep.
Near impossible to find belts, which is curious, since you stated you want to stick to shafties.

My suggestion? Ofna JL10e GT. It's a shaftie, and parts are still available, and in addition, ABC Hobby has some drivetrain parts for their Genetic, that are straight drop-in items (diffs, diff cases, motor mounts, front knuckles, shocks...). I had one. Set-up correctly, it's a rocket! Jeffrey Lin, Ofna's premiere driver at the time, won some championships with that chassis, bone-stock!
It also goes for near the same price as the Sakura.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:27 PM

Ended up buyin the xxxs and got burned on a speed controller in the process. The next day I came a cross another car and went to look at it. Turned out to be a really nice tc3 and I managed to pick it up for 75 with no radio which I was gonna buy new anyway. Threw my reedy neo one in it, bought a new radio, new body mounts, a balance plug for a lipo that I got with the xxxs and a mamba max pro. Waitin on the esc to get here and im gonna take the tc3 for a spin. Got a friend wantin the xxxs as soon as he scrapes up the cash and that money is gonna go towards some aluminum upgrades for the tc3 :-)
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM

Finally got my tc3 all put together and did a couple shakedown runs. Found out all the bolt holes in my rear diff case are stripped. Since I cant find a new diff case for it, whats the best way to fix the old 1?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming the case is plastic you put super glue in the hole, and put the screw in. Once the super glue hardens you will be able to unscrew it like normal(might be a bit hard though the 1st time kinda like when blue thread locker is used on metal).
Used this technique on multiple vehicles (including a savage), and its worked every time.