Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Car ID help

Old 11-01-2014, 11:45 AM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car ID help

Afternoon all,

And a windy day it is around here at least. So I stayed inside and got out a sealed box of R/C cars that my Dad put up a few years ago. It's kind of like Christmas, no idea what is in the box but I'm pretty sure it will be cool. Here's the first car that came out. A Porsche body but I have no idea who made it or where to find parts and so on. It's an AM radio and has a nicad battery pack that may or may not be good. I have several otheres that still work if this one doesn't. I recall this car being pretty quick for an electric in it's day. 4WD, brakes, not a bad little package. I think it can be run as is, it has a Saturn motor in it. I may consider upgrading to brushless if this one is not a brushless motor, maybe a new ESC if I upgrade to Lipo batteries. Come to think of it I don't know what kind of batteries electric cars are using now. Does anyone know what this car is? Are they still being made in a newer version, parts and wheels available? I plan to spend some time this week getting it cleaned up and back to running condition. Maybe terrorize some of the neighborhood squirrels that like to play in the street. Thanks for any insights on this vehicle.

Rick H.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	2043968   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	2043969   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	2043970  
Old 11-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a HPI RS4
Old 11-01-2014, 03:24 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

HPI RS4 or RS4 2. maybe a sprint, idk much about the sprint. i know it's similar to the RS4.
the RS4's were decent back in the day. throw a few hop ups on them and they made an ok (and VERY popular) club/parking lot racer.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:02 PM
308jockey

The radio, or at least the Tx, was dead so I put a Spektrum Rx in it and tried charging the battery. About 30 minutes had it on the street but the battery is shot. Will replace tonight and see what happens. Are parts available for this car, or at least tires?

Rick H.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:33 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

pretty much all 1/10 scale touring car rims and tires are interchangeable.

parts availability im not sure... idk if some stuff is interchangeable with the sprint or not. but do to the popularity of the RS4 parts can be found on ebay fairly easily if need be.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:58 PM
westoakmech

That is a brushed motor for sure. To go brushless, would require, motor and esc. Nicad batteries, those were the days. Had to run them completely dead, or they would gain a memory, and be no good within about 20 charge cycles. Used to charge them in the freezer, to try and get a little more out of them. Stored them in the freezer also.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:50 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like an HPI sprint to me.