Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

New beginnings

Old 05-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Lucianpoppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New beginnings

Hail from the wonderful city of NYC. Got a quick start in the hobby at 18 when I was just doing everything on impulse and didn't follow thru. Skip 12 years later and now I'm back with a fresh new outlook on the hobby and hope it can be something I can do with my kids eventually ( don't have any at current moment) and possibly their kids.
A little about my preferences and what I want to get out of the hobby.
1) I am an electric guy
2) looking to own some 1\10th on road touring cars ( kits or rtrs), some off road truggies as well as rock crawlers ( when the misses and i go hiking) and maybe a few micro/ mini's
3) want to learn about the hobby in depth , so any useful guides , tutorials , links would be greatly appreciated
4) suggestions on tools , drills, soldering equipment etc
Currently purchased a 3 racing XI sport from overseas. Its a kit so I'm going to spend sometime putting together. It came with a few pieces included but I don't know how they fair in this post brushless modern world. I'll post a pic of it if possible.
Look forward to being active within this rc forum community for many years to come.

Last edited by Lucianpoppy; 05-13-2015 at 02:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-13-2015, 07:28 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome. I think the best guide is the forum itself. Have a question, quick search as its probably been asked. Cant find an answer or the one you found doesnt fit, ask away. We all love to help and we are full of opinions on the latest gear.

As for the XI Sport post lots of pics. I have one in the box that I havent got to yet so I am anxious to see what you think. Did you order a motor and esc? Servo or radio set?
Old 05-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Lucianpoppy

Well im glad you actually own one too because i was beginning to get worried that i didn't make a right choice. Long story short , i was recommended thru another forum to get the sport XI kit. I went to my local hobby shop in the city to ask questions about it, they seem to carry mostly losi products ( maybe a little bias was involved), and they were like oh no don't buy that , those companies make rip off parts and go belly up within a few years. But i feel like 3 Racing company isnt as he is described , so hence my relief when you said you have one as well.
In regards to the needed add ons, there was an option to get a kit which had a ESC, brushed motor ( which im learning is dated now ), servo, and a remote control that says it was made for boats. I know nothing yet of upgradeable parts but with the help of the forums i am sure i will make some smart choices. I don't think i will stay with the parts they gave me but still debating. How long have you been in the hobby and what does your fleet look like.

Last edited by Lucianpoppy; 05-13-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:26 PM
kistner

Dont worry its not really boat or car its 'surface'. Anything usable on a boat is usable on a car. Usually the ones for planes are not compatible with the surface sets. Although my kid uses a plane tx for his car, he prefers the sticks to the pistol.

Not sure how biased they could be, Losi doesnt even make a tc right now. Unless they were trying to sell you a Vaterra.

Did you get a body for it?

Last edited by kistner; 05-13-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:51 PM
Lucianpoppy

No i didnt actually , which one are you thinking of getting?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:47 PM
kistner

I have a few here already, my favorites are the 60-70's muscle cars, Mustang, Camaro, etc. Maybe I should get the Challenger body. I also have a couple of those sporty types the drifters use that came with some used rc I bought.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:44 PM
Lucianpoppy

Ill try this again
" Build to race ,dont race to build"
Just got my Team Xray T4 '15 from my local hobby shop. I am buying everything in the manual that they recommended. Digital scales, digital calipers etc. I hope this isnt a rookie mistake. Going to take my time with the build and make sure everything is done right, which is slightly frustrating because i keep ordering things to build it that i dont have which is leading to restlessness but i need to practice patience. Ill post pics of the build as i move along and any pointers you guys may have are more than welcomed.