Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

RJ Speed 1/10th dragster needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:47 AM
slingblade racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RJ Speed 1/10th dragster needing advice

I am looking into building a electric dragster with brushless motor need some advice for motor esc combo.

I also looking for advice on batteries.

This will be my first dragster build and my first brushless build.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, are you going to be racing in a class or with an association. If so have a look at the rules for the various classes. Often there will be different chassis classes (dragster, funny car, pro stock, pro mod, etc) and each those different chassis classes can have different classes for different motor and/or battery voltage combinations.

I'd do some searching for another forum or drag racing association pages. RCU doesn't have a very many active drag racing users. Drag racing is a very specialized area of rc, finding what works best on your own could get very expensive, it's best to learn from others. Big Squids forums have a much more active drag racing section with lots more info and listings with more chassis manufacturers.

From what little I've delved into rc drag racing there are a few things that stand out. One is a bigger esc than you'd normally use, preferably with lots of fine tuning adjustments. Think MMpro, RX8 since they have lots of timing adjustments and other tweaks even though you'll likely only be running a -/10 size motor on 2s-3s. Speaking of batteries you want lightweight but high discharge and low voltage drop under load. Some guys run Li-ion instead of lipo for this reason and also because they can take the punishment a bit better.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:31 PM
slingblade racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot