Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Signal Problems

Old 08-07-2016, 06:53 AM
Justin the Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signal Problems

Hello everyone, I have a question. I am having quite bad signal between my controller and my highly-upgraded 1/10 RedCat Racing Lightning EPX. Basically, I can't go over a yard or so away from my car without it not doing my commands. I replaced all the batteries in the controller, so that's not it... I checked the antenna from the receiver, that should be fine... so I'm pretty sure that the reciever needs replacing. After all, it is the stock receiver, and it's the only major part that I haven't replaced, and I've had this car for about a year. But, just to be sure: Do you all think I'm correct that the receiver should be replaced? I posted this here in the on-road section because I put on-road tires on my car, even though it used to be a drift car. Thanks for any and all help in advance
Old 08-08-2016, 05:25 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like you're right on that.

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...lysky-gt2.html
Old 08-09-2016, 01:27 PM
The Saylors

Some of those stock receivers are total doo doo, Red cat seems to be notorious on this.. Either way you will be happy when you upgrade it.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Justin the Epic

Ok, but are you all sure that FlySky is actually an upgrade? The controller looks identical except for the color...
Old 08-09-2016, 02:03 PM
The Saylors

I wouldn't get the cheapest thing you can find or else you will just have the same issue a little ways down the road. I ended up just getting a very nice one and switched all of my rc's over to one controller. Fly sky has some $40-$60 options that i would be willing to consider in the lower end while futaba and spektrum are at the higher end at $200-$400. The top of the line ones are for people like me with way too many models were as the cheaper ones are met for people that only have one or two and aren't trying to race competitively. Both will drive pretty close to the same for novice drivers, seasoned hands will likely be the only ones that can feel a huge difference in terms of performance. Comfort is one of the things that really set them apart as well as a butt load of tuning features. Some guys go with the "buy cheap, buy often" train of thought were as i do the "pay now, not later" mode of thinking. I know i haven't really made things easier but all of these things need to be thought out before you make the commitment. Welcome to the forum by the way!
Old 08-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Justin the Epic

You have helped, thank you for the information. And thanks, I am glad to be here!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:07 AM
Justin the Epic

Wait, I have a follow-up question! Ok so currently, among all my upgrades to my R/C car, I have a brushless motor, a brushless esc, and a metal gear servo. Will the fact that the motor and ESC are both brushless, as well as the servo being better than stock, effect which new controller/receiver I decide to buy? I'm just trying to stay safe about this stuff, because I do NOT want anything bad like a fire or an explosion to happen with my car.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 AM
The Saylors

All of today's standard receivers will work with that set up. just be ready to fiddle with it a little since the plug positions may be opposite or backwards or both. When ever i have put in a receiver there is always 10-15min of switching plugs around, programming, ect to get things to do what you tell them. Fire is pretty much a non issue with that part since little to no energy moves through it, it just sends minor signals to the ESC, then the ESC carries them out. If you are really that worried just keep an eye on the car for the first 10 min after the install. if you hear any noises or see any smoke wisps then rip out your battery, put it in the yard for a couple hours and you will be safe(the odds of this happening are pretty much non-existent, i have seen cars burn and it always happens at the speed controller or battery, never the receiver). The only receivers that could have a problem are the 2 in 1 sets were the receiver is built into the esc (terrible design by the way) which are rarely used, if ever, these days. As long as its a two channel or more than it will do what you want. Hope this helps!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Justin the Epic

It did help, thank you again. I'm thinking of getting this one, what are your thoughts on it? https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-3PRKA-...5%3A2470955011

I wish it could be like $50 instead of $71.32, but I guess if it's going to last longer than my stock receiver, then I could permit the price.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 AM
The Saylors

Looks like its a older futaba which is a good choice. For $70 it will make you happy. Pretty much everything that futaba and spektrum make are gunna be good choices. Before you buy see if you can find it on ebay, you can usually get the same you get from amazon plus a case or extra receiver for the same price. Happy driving! if you have any more questions let us know and we will help you figure it out.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:17 AM
Justin the Epic

Ok, will do, and thanks! This is a very helpful forum!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:32 AM
The Saylors

Your Welcome! Everyone here loves the hobby and there are almost no rude people like a lot of the forums. I was part of the traxxas forum for a couple months and ended up yelling at a moderator because they were flaming/shaming new members so i got banned lol but luckily there are no gate keepers like that here. When i got here everyone was so nice that i just couldn't help but wanna stay. Not a ton of people but the ones that are here are of pretty high quality! (character wise)