Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

Electric car stutter/jitters. Bad Motor, ESC, or Radio?

Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Electric car stutter/jitters. Bad Motor, ESC, or Radio?

Old 05-28-2017, 05:52 PM
CLY28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric car stutter/jitters. Bad Motor, ESC, or Radio?

I busted out my 20 year old RC10DS and RC10T2. I bought a LIPO battery to see if both cars still run. I am sharing the Motor, ESC, and Radio between both vehicles. I am amazed how fast both still are but the problem is that the motor will sort of stutter sometimes (not always) and the steering will randomly turn/jitter. Do you think these issues are related to the motor, ESC, or Radio? It is a brushed motor and ESC (obviously being 20 years old) and an FM radio. I am looking for responses other than "Dude, buy a digital radio and a brushless motor/esc". I more or less want to get these cars working with as much of the old stuff as possible and buy new electronics when I get a new car or truck. While I can live with the random motor stuttering the steering is a real problem as I do not want to steering directly into a pole at 40mph. Thanks for the replies.

Cly
Old 05-28-2017, 07:14 PM
RustyUs

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Fresh batteries for the transmitter?
What charger are you using to charge your LiPo?
Do you have extra set of crystals?

Remove, check, and clean the motor's brushes. While you are at it, capacitors are being used on the motor? Maybe they were only use for radios in the 27mhz range. I don't remember.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:37 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by CLY28
... I am looking for responses other than "Dude, buy a digital radio and a brushless motor/esc"....
I wasn't thinking that at all. I can live with brushed motors, NiMh, and brushed ESCs. But for $27 ~ $38, there are many good/great low budget 2.4ghz radios to be had. And some of them have 10 model memory with extra receivers @ $14 or less

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-28-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:42 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the transmitter batteries. Make sure the crystals are secure and the pins and socket are clean.
Check the antenna on the receiver and make sure it is not cut or damaged.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:16 AM
CLY28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought the Team OLrion Touch V2. The guy at the hobby shop said it was a good charger. The batteries in the transmitter are brand new. I do not have any extra crystals. So both of you seem to think it is related to the Radio. Maybe that will be the first thins I replace. I think there was some nostalgia about using the items I have lugged around all these years. Also, the fact they were top of the line 20 years ago. The hobby shop guy made it sound like I need to spend at least $100-150 to get a decent radio. Is that the case or only if I want bells and whistles? I have always used Futaba gear. I also like ordering from Tower Hobbies because I live in Illinois and it gets hear in a day or two. Any suggestions? Appreciate the input.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:39 AM
RustyUs

I used to recommend FlySky GT-2 for super low end budget, but the prices have gone up a tad bit. Also to note one my three mid- low budgeted FlySky FS-GT3C radios is now showing questionable quality issues after being only used for a short period of time. I stopped buying FlySky receivers and now I am switching over to a Radiolink RC3S system to control my RCs. That's my plug for a sub $40 2.4G 4CH Transmitter/Receiver with a lot of features.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-29-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added link