Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

andyjk, man u have a good eye for painting shells
and what pinion do you use for 3s use. the av are just crap
Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Andyjk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mate! Umm the pinion is at 21T I think. I don't think it's any special brand. I haven't pulled it apart in ages so I can't really remember. I did buy some Titanium pinions once...it might have one of those in there. Sorry I couldn't be any more help lol!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Haddi Taha

The AV pinions just suck they wear out the spur to quickly because bits of metal come off the gear and chew the spur slowly. I want to try the Kawada pinions soon they are aluminium but twice the price so idk.
I have to get the 19t pinion off my burnt Reedy Flash Modified Motor so i can put it on my tt01, the grub screw is stripped but the gear is in great condition sinceits made of steel. Any ideas how i can do this?
Thanks

Old 04-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Andyjk

If the grub screw is cactus, I'd say there's no way of getting it off the motor without destroying the pinion. It happened to me once. The motor was fine but the pinion was stripped so I just drilled out the grub.

I was just trying to find the brand of the pinion I have and I think it may be Robinson Racing. I'm not 100% though. It cost around $15. Pricey! I've be fairly lucky with my pinions/spurs so far. I think I've only been through 1 spur and that's it.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Haddi Taha

Gone through 11 spurs, 9 of them were 3 racing, dont ever get them, save yourself a headache, other 2 tamiya ones weared out after 2-3 months, pretty reasonable.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 AM
MD6

I think HPI makes the correct kind of pinions.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

Gone through 11 spurs, 9 of them were 3 racing, dont ever get them, save yourself a headache, other 2 tamiya ones weared out after 2-3 months, pretty reasonable.
That seems like a lot more than usual. I've had my TT-01 for about 3 years and have only worn out 1 spur (and I only use the stock spurs).
Old 04-03-2011, 04:47 PM
electricrc68
Banned

hey would this be a good kit for a person who wants to build a kit for their very first time?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 PM
beast_C_A_T

find a TORX bit (the six point star shaped ones) that's just a little bigger then the hex and pound it in with a hammer. This is easiest if you put the gear (not the motor) in a vise first. If that doesn't work then use a drill that's small enough to fit the screw hole and drill the set screw out.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

hey would this be a good kit for a person who wants to build a kit for their very first time?
Most Tamiya kits are super easy to build. The instructions are always easy to follow. The TT-01 is probably the most common, so if you run into and trouble, you'll have more people that will be able to help. There are also and endless amount of upgrades if you should choose to do so.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks. whats the difference between the tt-01E and tt-01D?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:54 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ohhh i get it okay thanks!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Andyjk

The "D" stands for drift. Fairly self explanitary. The "E" stands for Enhanced- upgraded with polycarbonate suspension uprights and fibreglass-reinforced nylon upper deck/chassis bracing and motor mount.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 PM
cydog510

ORIGINAL: Andyjk

If the grub screw is cactus, I'd say there's no way of getting it off the motor without destroying the pinion. It happened to me once. The motor was fine but the pinion was stripped so I just drilled out the grub.

I was just trying to find the brand of the pinion I have and I think it may be Robinson Racing. I'm not 100% though. It cost around $15. Pricey! I've be fairly lucky with my pinions/spurs so far. I think I've only been through 1 spur and that's it.
robinson racing make 48p metric steel pinions (fit TT-01), they are much better than the aluminum butter metal tamiya ones.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...VSEARCH=METRIC
Old 04-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Haddi Taha

cydog, the tt01 doesn't use 48p pinions, it uses 0.6 metric pinions. Try using a 48p and you will strip the spur and pinion easily.

andyjk, i wore through spurs because A i accidently bought 9 3 racing ones which a CRAP with anything more than a silvercan ( i was using 9t ezrun at the time) and B I was usinga spool which like doubles the stress on the gears due to it non-forgiving affect.I don't expect to be wearing gears like that anymore as i am going to only buy tamiya spurs and hardened metric 0.6 pinions.

Are Novak pinions good?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM
cydog510

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

cydog, the tt01 doesn't use 48p pinions, it uses 0.6 metric pinions. Try using a 48p and you will strip the spur and pinion easily.

andyjk, i wore through spurs because A i accidently bought 9 3 racing ones which a CRAP with anything more than a silvercan ( i was using 9t ezrun at the time) and B I was using a spool which like doubles the stress on the gears due to it non-forgiving affect. I don't expect to be wearing gears like that anymore as i am going to only buy tamiya spurs and hardened metric 0.6 pinions.

Are Novak pinions good?
you are correct. my apologies i was thinking of a different chassis. tt-01' stock gearing requires .6 metric pinions. thank you for correcting me.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: beast_C_A_T

find a TORX bit (the six point star shaped ones) that's just a little bigger then the hex and pound it in with a hammer. This is easiest if you put the gear (not the motor) in a vise first. If that doesn't work then use a drill that's small enough to fit the screw hole and drill the set screw out.
would this wreck the TORX bit?

Its good this happened to a burnt out motor which i don't want i only want the pinion.

thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Andyjk

I'd say just buy a new pinion. Not worth the trouble!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 PM
[email protected]

I want to make my tt01 lighter so that it is much faster in accelerating and top end. Are the Titanium screws, alloy battery posts and carbon alloydriveschaftworth buying?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I want to make my tt01 lighter so that it is much faster in accelerating and top end. Are the Titanium screws, alloy battery posts and carbon alloy driveschaft worth buying?
Not really worth it. When you think about, those parts barely weigh anything anyway, so the gains wont be noticable. If you want major gains in speed and acceleration, a brushless set up with a LiPo battery is the way to go. And an aerodynamic body.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 AM
[email protected]

Yeah. Well i have a carson 12t bl but to me my 9t brushed motor is much faster. I barely run my brushless at all. lol it has been driven only 4 times and that was it. I was not a happy camper. More like disappointed. I am looking to up grade my batteries to lipo any way, but here in german they are like over priced once you convert the cost to Dollars. Well thanks for the info. I will leave it along and look in to about getting some lipo for my brushless 12t carson dragster.  Thanks alot.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:47 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah. Well i have a carson 12t bl but to me my 9t brushed motor is much faster. I barely run my brushless at all. lol it has been driven only 4 times and that was it. I was not a happy camper. More like disappointed. I am looking to up grade my batteries to lipo any way, but here in german they are like over priced once you convert the cost to Dollars. Well thanks for the info. I will leave it along and look in to about getting some lipo for my brushless 12t carson dragster. Thanks alot.
hobbyking.com
turnigy 5000mah 2S lipo hardcase lipos will fit if you loosen the screw on the battery hold down, and cut the battery bar a tiny bit.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14320 (from the DE warehouse)

You will not be disappointed anymore in the BL setup if you get those.
I ran my 1st BL setup on a 5000mah nimh, and was underwhelmed with it (my lipos were on order back then) put a lipo in it sucker flew.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
SerpentCT4S
My Feedback: (1)

I just finished building my TT01 E.

I went to setup the ESC and radio today and there seems to be a problem. The ESC I am using is a Tamiya TEU-101BK.

After I set it up, it would work for a few seconds, then the motor would start beeping and the ESC would flash red. I would be able to control it for a few seconds, then it would not work again and beep. At one point, it just beeped and I had no control of it.

Did I do something wrong or is there a problem with the ESC?

Any help?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Andyjk

Yeah. Well i have a carson 12t bl but to me my 9t brushed motor is much faster. I barely run my brushless at all. lol it has been driven only 4 times and that was it. I was not a happy camper. More like disappointed. I am looking to up grade my batteries to lipo any way, but here in german they are like over priced once you convert the cost to Dollars. Well thanks for the info. I will leave it along and look in to about getting some lipo for my brushless 12t carson dragster. Thanks alot.
Yeah the zippy flightmax batteries from hobbyking are what I use. They are awesome
e. The 9t would have a higher rpm than the 12t so it would be faster. You will see a massive difference in running a lipo over a nimh that u will never use nimh again.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: SerpentCT4S

I just finished building my TT01 E.

I went to setup the ESC and radio today and there seems to be a problem. The ESC I am using is a Tamiya TEU-101BK.

After I set it up, it would work for a few seconds, then the motor would start beeping and the ESC would flash red. I would be able to control it for a few seconds, then it would not work again and beep. At one point, it just beeped and I had no control of it.

Did I do something wrong or is there a problem with the ESC?

Any help?
Sounds to me that you have it set up incorrectly. Make sure all the plugs from the esc and servo are in the correct place. And that you're transmitter is set up right. Sometimes ou may have to reverse the throttle. Follow the instructions included with the esc carefully and you should be ok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.