Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

[]TEX[] & Lunchboxer's Spec Race Build Diary-Suzuki Swift M03

Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

[]TEX[] & Lunchboxer's Spec Race Build Diary-Suzuki Swift M03

Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Bok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: []TEX[] & Lunchboxer's Spec Race Build Diary-Suzuki Swift M03

I was racing in the Mini class- 2WD only, either FWD or RWD, Sport Tuned or 13.5 BL with non-turbo boost ESC, 60D max tire diameter. Everybody was running M05s, two were running 13.5 BL and the rest of us were using Sport Tuneds
Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the 13.5T BL is a lot faster than a Sport Tune... so I think you did really well! Nice!!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:37 AM
Casper06

Seriously that doesn't seem fitting for a 13.5 to compete against a sports tuned. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 03-03-2010, 06:15 AM
Bok

Yes the guys running 13.5 were a lot faster on the straight The reason why they revised the rules to allow 13.5 is because right now there are only three classes in the club scene, silvercan touring, 13.5/23T touring and Mini. Most of the 13.5 touring guys also run in the Mini class, and most of them have switched to Tekin ESCs, so instead of selling their previous BL ESC, why not use them in the mini
Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Bok

Went to the LHS today and picked up a set of A-parts. I only have one stick pack size lipo, so I figured, instead of buying another why not get a spare chassis and hack it up so I can use my existing lipos

View of the hacked battery slot. you can see the ESC mounted on the L wheelbase extension

Ran into a problem with one of the motor screws. It wouldn't go all the way in. This is the first time I encountered something like this in a Tamiya

Had to enlarge the hole for the screw to go all the way in

Also had to switch back to the stock battery holder on one side to make room for the wires

View of the underside

Also cleaned up the body. Ready for another day at the track
Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Lunchboxer

The screw on the motor.. that's weird.. never seen that before.. I did not have problem like that when I was building my M-03!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Bok

Yeah I didn't have a problem with it too when I built it with the black chassis that came with the kit. Not sure if all the grey A parts are like this, or if I just got a bad batch
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM
lee172

FYI there are some beefed up dog bones out there, but CVD's would be better i think.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Bok

Couple of updates over the weekend.. Took the manta ray diff from my TA02 and rebuilt it with new balls and plates. Used AW grease and screwed it on tight. Installed it in the M03 and off to the track I went. Wow! Car drives so much better with the ball diff. Steering felt better, and the mini exited the turns quicker [8D]

Was still struggling with traction roll though, so today I went to a couple of hobby shops to do some shopping Picked up a set of 3Racing shocks. Would've wanted the TRF ones, but the LHS wants $65 for it. For a mere $21 for the 3Racing, I had to try it Also picked up a 3Racing High Torque servo saver and TL01 Stainless Steel Suspension shafts. The shafts won't make the car go any faster or handle better, but it was cheap so I thought why not?

Disassembled the shock, and slipped on 5mm of rubber tubing to reduce the shock length

View of the inside

and the bottom

Filled with some silicone oil

Comparison between CVA Mini II shocks, TRF 42102 and TA03 Super Low Friction. The 3Racing ones are actually pretty good. Build quality is not on par with TRF, but the damping action was just as smooth.

Finally installed. Next up would be to get a set of tuned short springs, M03 aluminum servo horn, and finally the universals. These are still out of stock at the LHS, might have to order online. Then I think that's it!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Lunchboxer

Interesting that you find the ball diff to be better.. it would make sense but I have read people who prefer the gear diff.. I guess it depends on the person, eh?!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Casper06

I thought ball diffs were better for racing?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Lunchboxer

I just read that some racers actually prefer the gear diff, that's all.. I have not tried the ball diff myself, so I can't comment.. but just saying that it seems to be like a personal preference thing...
Old 03-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Bok

A couple of new goodies Project M03 is almost complete..