Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Brushless system for TL01

Old 10-05-2007, 03:56 AM
iron_dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless system for TL01

Hello guys,
I'm an happy owner of a TL01 chassis with ESC and a Team Onion Drift Machine 18T motor and 4200mah battery.
I would like to upgrade to a brushless system, any suggestions?
Which is the fastest brushless system I can install?

thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 04:11 AM
Phelansa

Default RE: Brushless system for TL01

The TL01 is going to struggle with BL power. You are also going to be severely limmited in your gearing options. I would not suggest you look at high KV rated motors. Rather consider something like the Traxxas VXL or Mamba Max 4600. If you do get an MM4600 you can always go to 3S LiPo if you really want to break the car. Keep in mind as your KV rating goes up, so your Kt (Torque per amp) comes down. KV goes up, runtimes come down. KV goes up heat goes up...... etc etc

Something like the Novak XBR/EX system would also work really well. The sensored design makes it a lot smoother, also its lower specific power output will not overpower the TL01 chassis as easily.

Added to that, the more powerfull the BL system, the more you will have to spend on batteries.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 AM
iron_dog

Thanks for your advises!
I'm looking for these two items:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=9944

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=24291

what do you think? Will the TL01 handle it?
For the gearing, I know I will be limited... maybe I will be able to put the hi-spedd gearing... maybe!
I think I've already the right battery pack, which is this one:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=16675

thank you
Old 10-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Phelansa

The XBR/EX is a nice system like I said. And it will do well with the NiMh battery pack.

The thing is that with BL you want to lower your gearing. The Speed Gearset from Tamiya raises your gearing. That is exactly the opposite of what you need. Ideally you want a final drive ratio of something around 10,5 to 11:1. That is a pretty rough rule of thumb i know, but it works.

I know there is a company that makes an ajustable motor mount for the TL01 that will alllow you to fit a smaller pinion. I have seen it posted on this forum so you can find it with a search. The TL01 chassis only has provision for 3 pinion sizes as standard, 19T, 21T and 23T. That will be your biggest hurdle.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 AM
iron_dog

thank you!
One last question, as I've installed right now a 18T modified motor and I'm able to use it with a 23T pinion, is it right that, as the brushless 8.5 is the same as a 17T brushed, I can easily replace the brushed with the brushless system?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Phelansa

You will find that even an "entry level" Bl system like the XBR/EX will kick the pants off your 18T brushed motor. You cannot compare the two. The T ratings that Novak use for the motors are VERY conservative.

You can try with the standard gearing, But I really do reccomend that you lower the final drive ratio. You will see what I mean once you have the Novak installed.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:29 AM
iron_dog

ORIGINAL: Phelansa
I know there is a company that makes an ajustable motor mount for the TL01 that will alllow you to fit a smaller pinion. I have seen it posted on this forum so you can find it with a search. The TL01 chassis only has provision for 3 pinion sizes as standard, 19T, 21T and 23T. That will be your biggest hurdle.
I can't find this post! Could you help me?

thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Phelansa

It was in the "HBX, who else owns one" thread. About two months ago I think.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...48/key_/tm.htm