Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

The TB-02 or TA-05 = best kit under $150 to go 75+MPH w/ BL & 3s Lipo

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

The TB-02 or TA-05 = best kit under $150 to go 75+MPH w/ BL & 3s Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:25 AM
Vdubber1389

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The TB-02 or TA-05 = best kit under $150 to go 75+MPH w/ BL & 3s Lipo

Full title: Is the TB-02 or TA-05 the best and fastest kit under $150 to go 75+MPH with perhaps a Mamba Max 5700 Brushless system + 11.1v Li-Po battery or is there another kit out there?

Hey guys. I'm new to Brushless Electrics and Lipos and I'm here for serious business. This might be a long read, but it's worth it I guess, I'll bold out parts and stuff so you can glance and see where I'm headed.

Background is big block off-road nitros, but I stopped R/Cing for bashing and now i'm going to be partially in R/Cing except I just want to build this On-Road electric and pretty much end it there, no racing, maybe, but no plans for it. The main use for it is wow factor and cool factor when seen sitting in the engine bay of my car when car shows, club meets and get togethers, just something to play with when things are going slow, or people don't know what to talk about, you'll see pics at the bottom. Moreover, I already did a quite vast amounts of research I guess, but still learning, I just need to know what brands to get.

The goal is that I'm making a mini replica of my car, which is a Volkswagen Corrado. The details are that I need this thing to haul like a bat out of hell on command, but the avg speed for most of it's life will be aimed around a continuous 35-45 maybe 50 MPH but would like to be able to go 75MPH and maybe 80MPH. I would like to hook good in turns, so no real drifting, but would like to have it setup where if I were to throw on drift style wheels, I could. It just needs to be able to hook very good and make a sharp turn if needed. I believe the Futaba 2PL and it's ABS style braking will help improve this.

Budget is floating around $500, but I upped the ante to roughly $600-$650. Again, I probably won't start the actual build up till around March next year as I just got the Corrado and I'm putting money into that, another car, a new PC, and I need to save up to move out by the time I hit 20. Don't let my age fool you, if I want to get something, I will, just like my dream Corrado haha. But yeah... Since I have to buy a lipo charger which is about $150, that boosts the price up there + the Futaba 2PL is about $100, so that's about a potential $250+ that's not even related to the actual R/C car.

Anywho, the current plan was getting but not limited to the Mamba Max 5700 Brushless System w/ ESC and a Hyperion 11.1v 5350mAh Lipo off of Bishop Power Products (BPP), Futaba 2PL 2ch FM TX w/ a Hitec G25MG high speed metal gear servo, amongst a few other small things. I would go bigger, but not sure what bigger is, I was thinking of pushing a 6900kw to it's limit with a 11.1v 5350 mAh but I want to keep it running for more than a week haha.

Now, on topic with this section of the website! I originally was going to get the HPI E10 and people started saying it was crap on other threads. Hey, I liked the $80 kit price haha. So, with that out of the way, I kept seeing the name "TT-01" pop-up, cool... Must be good.. I dunno.. I didn't really like it so than I found the TT-01R, this is more like it. Looks good. But no, I searched google and found a thread on this site and people told him to save up more and get the TB-02. So, guess what. My current aim is the Tamiya TB-02 which it seems I can get for about $120 on eBay.

The question is... Is there a kit out there, other than the TB-02 that I can buy for under $150. Here is a few things I listed in the other forum UltimateRC.com that I wanted to know.

Also... provide the link, it will save both of us time.

Requirements:
» Handle the mamba 5700 BL system or something stronger (Novak XBR Sport/EX? or VXL?)
» Fit a 3s 5350mAh lipo from Hyperion or MaxAmps 3s 5000mAh
» Brand new under $150, eBay is ok as long as it's North American sellers, not china... I don't want to get scammed.
» BL system + Lipos + etc = $650, $700 is pushing it, $500 is awesome.
» Impossible to drift, needs good handling, unless drift wheels are mounted of-course.

Things I would like to know if possible but are irrelevant to this topic:
» Better Brushless system (ESC + Motor) than the 5700 MM system and 5350mAh combo for $290 & free shipping
» Lipo + Charger combo that is the best deal you've ever seen, I'm talking like 5000mAh lipo + AC/DC charger w/ balancer
» A place that sells a wheel similar to this wheel:

What i'm after, click to make bigger:
Old 11-11-2007, 09:48 AM
TIGER76

Default RE: Is the TB-02 = best kit under $150 to go 75+MPH w/ BL & 3s Lipo

be cool to see the tb hit 70+ but its gonna be hard i think,the tt-01 defo wont hit that no matter whats in it the handling will suck so bad over 50mph it will be uncontrollable even with most of the hopups.
the TA series would be the best bet for 70 plus i reckon
make sure u grab a video for us all k
Old 11-11-2007, 10:29 AM
stealth assassin

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

be cool to see the tb hit 70+ but its gonna be hard i think,the tt-01 defo wont hit that no matter whats in it the handling will suck so bad over 50mph it will be uncontrollable even with most of the hopups.
the TA series would be the best bet for 70 plus i reckon
make sure u grab a video for us all k

What Is the TA series?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 AM
TIGER76

team assocaite (spelling lol) TA-05 the newest i think m8 had a great review in RCCA a few issues ago
Old 11-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Vdubber1389

If you mean TC5... I don't feel like making this a $1000 project haha as I could replace the H&R Coilovers on my real car haha.

But yeah, I'm sure that will go that fast. However, with limited funds, I think I'ma currently go TB-2 as I was told of a great deal for that kit at $111 new w/o shipping.

EDIT: Just found a Tamiya TA-05 for around $125... I wonder if it's worth the hassle to go belt driven...
Old 11-11-2007, 05:19 PM
ferrarimk13

Default RE: The TB-02 or TA-05 = best kit under $150 to go 75+MPH w/ BL & 3s Lipo

belt driven cars handle modified motors a lot better than shaft, but its not that durable, so idk.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Vdubber1389

Default RE: The TB-02 or TA-05 = best kit under $150 to go 75+MPH w/ BL & 3s Lipo

Well, if belt is the only thing that can possible snap from excessive speeding, than I'll buy like 4 Tamiya Aramid Belts, 2 for use and 2 extra for backup. They aren't very expesnive the belts, so if that's all that will break in comparison to a shaft driven TB-02 than it's no problem. The only thing that is the deciding factor for me is whether the which of the two are the fastest and by how much?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:30 PM
ferrarimk13

i think the belt would be faster, and good upgrades are available for it.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Vdubber1389

Hmm ok thanks. Any reasoning behind it?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:06 AM
C.A.R.

Go belt.

There is far less (next to none) friction in a belt driven setup, there is less of a drivetrain to move etc, and no-matter what shaft driven car you get, they are never going to have the lightweight abilities a belt driven car has. Also, with a kit like the TA05, all forward force from the belts is thrown toward the front of the car, there is no torque being thrown sideways by a rotating shaft.

With that in mind, I'd have to suggest the TA05. A basic kit is pretty darn quick, and the adjustability is all there. If something breaks persistantly (it probably won't) there is a lot of aftermarket support for this car, so aluminium or carbon fibre parts can be grabbed at bargain prices. It is fast already, and will take nicely to a BL setup, as most will tell you, without any mods. What you said about the belts is perfectly reasonable, you may like to bring some spares, though I've never had any issues with the aramid ones - I think they're indestructable! If you take spares then belt replacement is fast and easy, and problem-free. You also have the advantage that the belts are of equal length, so there's no issue of getting confused at any point.

I know the initial buying cost may be higher, but it will be well worth it, and as I say, a standard chassis is quite adequate.

Chris.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Vdubber1389

ORIGINAL: C.A.R.

Go belt.

There is far less (next to none) friction in a belt driven setup, there is less of a drivetrain to move etc, and no-matter what shaft driven car you get, they are never going to have the lightweight abilities a belt driven car has. Also, with a kit like the TA05, all forward force from the belts is thrown toward the front of the car, there is no torque being thrown sideways by a rotating shaft.

With that in mind, I'd have to suggest the TA05. A basic kit is pretty darn quick, and the adjustability is all there. If something breaks persistantly (it probably won't) there is a lot of aftermarket support for this car, so aluminium or carbon fibre parts can be grabbed at bargain prices. It is fast already, and will take nicely to a BL setup, as most will tell you, without any mods. What you said about the belts is perfectly reasonable, you may like to bring some spares, though I've never had any issues with the aramid ones - I think they're indestructable! If you take spares then belt replacement is fast and easy, and problem-free. You also have the advantage that the belts are of equal length, so there's no issue of getting confused at any point.

I know the initial buying cost may be higher, but it will be well worth it, and as I say, a standard chassis is quite adequate.

Chris.

That is the EXACT response I was hoping for. Looks like I'm going with the TA-05 w/ MM 5700 paried w/ a Hyperion 11.1v 5350mAh LiPo. This should be fun. Only question is, will that LiPo fit in chassis? If not, I'll just drop the MM-5700 w/ the LiPo package and buy the VXL LiPo kit off MaxAmps w/ the Hyperion charger and buy a BL system like a Novak.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 PM
ae3

the ta05 will handle alot better under that speed
Old 12-14-2007, 01:41 PM
mjderstine

hey this sounds like an interesting project. I have a ta05 now with a pretty good amount of upgrades.

i will come back later and post some pics of mine.

i was interested to know what body you were gonna to go 75+.....

something pretty aerodynamic i hope with a good amount of down force.

here a quick pic of mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21153.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	825508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71015.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	825509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57214.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	825510  
Old 12-16-2007, 03:12 AM
gabbonator

i reckon i could get a tt-01 over 70. im thinking of taking the rear gearbox and motor mount then boltin them onto a homemade drag chassis. im running a 12 or 13 turn motor at the mo. i think with a cheap 6 turn and the right gearing i could pull it off.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:02 AM
cheech4

good luck, get us a vid if you manage to reach the speeds.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:16 AM
mjderstine

ORIGINAL: gabbonator

i reckon i could get a tt-01 over 70. im thinking of taking the rear gearbox and motor mount then boltin them onto a homemade drag chassis. im running a 12 or 13 turn motor at the mo. i think with a cheap 6 turn and the right gearing i could pull it off.

i figure if you are gonna do something like that, it wouldnt even be a kit anymore and you are just making a custom car with tt01 parts.

you should post some pics so we can see what you come up with.