Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

Ok I just never seen one on the Formula 1 thread
Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Vyger

Well the electronics are finally in the car. YEAH!!!! I wish I could take credit for the wiring job but I can’t. My friend did this up for me, and he did an EXCELLENT job with everything. He wired his up the same way, when I saw how he did his my jaw hit the floor. The servo and ESC wires are wrapped with shrink tubing, then shoe-gooed to the chassis. The wiring to the motor is outstanding, no interference what so ever. The pod moves side to side and front to back without any binding. We both agreed that 16awg wire would suffice with the kit or Formula Tuned motor. Did I mention the body drops right on the chassis for a perfect fit. Thanks DJ for all the work, it’s been the highlight of my week.

I’m so stoked about this I just thought I’d share this with everyone

Vyg

Old 07-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Willystylz

Impressive! That looks to be the perfect wiring job for the F104!! That body oughta slide right on for sure! I've got one up on ya though........no power switch for my esc.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: The Collector1

Does anyone have one of these?
Its not mine. Just thought i would post this vid. Funny thing was i just watched it yesterday
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Vo_vY9WRY&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 07-24-2009, 12:00 AM
iexion

ORIGINAL: Vyger

This is my opinion and isn’t worth anything to most people…including family. The only “scale realism the F201 has to offer is the suspension. But when it comes down to functionality it doesn’t perform all that great. It works decent, but there is a lot of slop in the linkage that has to be absorbed before the suspension begins working. I’ve built several and that’s one of my many complaints about that car.

Looking at the front end of the new F104 it gives a better appearance than its predecessor the F103, but maybe not as nice as the F201. That’s a matter of opinion. I think the overall function of the F104 is also better, when built properly. The F201 was always a flexi-flyer with all the plastic bits twisting in the corners. There are, or where, chassis upgrades available as after market parts to make the car more rigid. But the F104 offers a solid platform right out of the box.

If you’re intention is to try and race the car you might want to check with your local track/hobby shop to see if they even offer a class for it. If they lump you in with F103’s and 104’s you might get a little frustrated.

Just as an FYI, Tamiya still sells all the parts for the F201, but not a complete kit. As an option you could still build one from parts.

Not sure if any of this helps, hurts, or even matters but I thought I’d offer it up.
Vyg
Nope I can dig what you throwin down. That would be one of the first things i would notice if/when i find a decent F201 kit. Ive only been into RC for the last 5 years or so but I've never really looked into tamiya's stuff. So now when I see a chassis I want to get if friggin discontinued [:@]
But yea thanks for the Heads up. Im still looking at Hpi's F1 chassis honestly[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 07-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Vyger

Here are the pics with the battery out, showing the ESC wire going across the chassis to the receiver. There is plenty of clearence for the battery and the lipo's I intend to use.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Jpsonoma

Nice pics Vyger, where do you get your aluminum hopups from? I've been looking for that aluminum motor mount, but the only ones I can find all come from hong kong. Do you have a place states side that has them in stock?

Here's a picture of mine that I finally completed. This is my first ever F1 RC car, I had to sit there and study the suspension for a bit just becuase I've never had an RC car like this before, lol. It's very simple, but effective.
Took it out to the tennis courts today, pretty pleased with how it handles, seems to push a lot though. Would be fun to see a bunch of them all racing at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40956.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1242833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67856.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1242834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rh67852.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1242835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms79635.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1242836  
Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Willystylz

Lookin good Jpsonoma![8D] It's a unique colour scheme but I like it. It's great to see another finished F104 on here
Old 07-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Vyger

ORIGINAL: Jpsonoma

Nice pics Vyger, where do you get your aluminum hopups from? I've been looking for that aluminum motor mount, but the only ones I can find all come from hong kong. Do you have a place states side that has them in stock?
Nice looking car man! That should be easy to spot on the track. Mine will be done this weekend. Regarding all the blue bits, TamiyaUSA. I go straight to the sorce, they have parts before the shops and they deliver straight to your door. As a matter of fact I see they have the new B compound tires in stock. Check out their website, the prices are about what you'd pay in a US hobby store.

Good luck!
Vyg
Old 07-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Jpsonoma

Thanks guys, it is a bit bright, but it definately sticks out, lol.

Tamiya USA, I can't believe I didn't check there! lol, thanks Vyger, I'll have to see what they got for options now.
I'm not really used to tunning these type of cars, but what are some things I can do to reduce under steering?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Vyger

For this car one of the first things we did to reduce that understeer was tighten up the T-plate. It sounds sort of weird but you use the rear of the car to controll the steering at the front. Once you have that at a confortable setting try using some different greases on the damper disks, this will dampen the rear of the car. I also recomend a softer oil in the shock than the kit supplied oil, which is 400wt (equal to 40wt) and a softer spring on the shock. Try messing around with these to see what the car will do. It should help. It did with our car.
Vyg
Old 07-25-2009, 02:19 PM
HeliYogi

Hi Vyger,

Regarding my doubts on building the F104 PRO kit (or maybe just selling it), here are some questions and considerations and please anybody that has some input fell free...

1. The F104 has the folowing challenges (I picked them up on this forum and at the RCTECH)
A) Problems pushing (because of the battery position)
B) Difficult to adjust height of front suspension (specially if you want to lower it)
C) Little space for wiring and electronics.

I will ad:

D) Tree piece body, more likely to fall apart in collisions that the one piece body's for the F103 (even if you are a great driver, somebody like me will crash into you at some time and by, by, sides)
C) After spending an average of $230, still you have basic Ho-ups to buy:

-Tamiya (#54169) F104 Aluminum Pivot Post $14
-Tamiya (#54166) F104 Motor Mount $20
-Tamiya (#54165) F104 Soft T-Bar $10
-Tamiya (#84058) F104 Titanium screw Set $32
-Tamiya (#53149) F-1 Low-Friction Oads $9.00

2. I' am just getting to know my set up and operation on the F103R.
The F104 Pro has "in theory":
- Better front suspension (but does it?)
- More efficient gear and differential parts (have heard no comment so far)
- The looks I question (but it's not important) although, it appears that the "C" body from the F103 has better performance, based on your posted info.

The question is: would it be better (and possible) just to combine the front suspension and gear differential from the F104 (including maybe: front / rear tires and shaft?) to make a Frankenstein F103.5 ?

Wold this solve the push issue?

It would save $$$

Let me know your toughs,
Cheers!

Old 07-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Vyger

Hey Yogi,

I don’t know if I would sell it, unless you are truly not happy with the car. You have to realize that the F103 has had over a decade of development behind it. The F104 has had only a couple of months. That’s a huge difference when it comes to finding a good set by asking questions on the forums.

1a) From my experience almost every car I’ve purchased from Tamiya has a push right out of the box. I think they do on purpose to make it a bit easier to drive. But with tuning the push can be dialed out. I’ve seen this at the track with my own eyes.

1b) I may have missed something but I don’t think the front end is that hard to adjust. You pop off the C-clip, drop the king pin and move the three spacer around to get the ride height your looking for, then reassemble. Mine is sitting with full size tires and it’s slammed to the ground.

1c) The wiring is a challenge, but with limited space because of the battery location and the narrower body the options are truly limited. But it is possible to get a clean wire job. The main thing to watch for is keeping the rear pod free. Don’t let the wires get bound up between the chassis and the body.

1d) Regarding the body, I don’t think its flimsy at all. When the three pieces are assembled correctly, meaning locked into place, and then attached using double sided tape, and finally secured with six screws washers and a nut, it’s very solid. And in my opinion one of the best looking modern bodies offered to date. I think the focus with this issue is not to hit things, or other people. But I understand it’s not avoidable sometimes. Don’t take this the wrong way, but think about it like this; if you improve your driving skills you won’t need an indestructible body.

1e) Not all of the hop-ups are necessary, start small and get the real necessities. I would suggest the motor mount and soft T-plate, then the other stuff. You don’t “need” all of these parts to make the car work. I’ve seen plenty of them getting around the track just fine in stock configuration.

2) If you’re more comfortable with the F103 and don’t want to spend the money then I would suggest sticking to that car. You can always purchase another one down the road after there has been more development. It’s hard for me to say if any of the new bits are “better” or “more efficient”. They are just newer, further enhancements of proven F103 components. Time will tell if the parts and car are truly better.

Yes you could make a hybrid F103.5. I’ve seen pics on the net that some did. Does it work better, don’t know. Was it worth the time and money, don’t know. Basically you’re just making a short chassis F104, so wouldn’t you be starting off with a new car, like the F104.

These are just my thoughts on your questions. Don’t get discouraged about any of it. Remember, it’s supposed to be a hobby. We’re all grown men playing with toy cars on a toy race car track. It’s supposed to be FUN.

Vyg
Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 PM
skottoman

Just a note on the F201, as I have tons of em.... In stock form, the are plastic, flexy, and not that precise in performance.

Add a carbon chassis, FPM alloy A-arms, and put o-rings on all the ball joints and they are VERY precise... You just have to spend $500 to get there...

I may try an F104 myself just for comparison. Look to be nice cars...

Cheers,
Skottoman
Old 07-27-2009, 02:19 AM
HeliYogi

These are just my thoughts on your questions. Don’t get discouraged about any of it. Remember, it’s supposed to be a hobby. We’re all grown men playing with toy cars on a toy race car track. It’s supposed to be FUN.

Vyg
[/quote]

Hey Vyger!

For those of us who like and practice Yoga, there is the "Guru" wich is the Sanskrit word for teacher or guide.

So thanks to our F1-Guru

(I'm keeping it. Ordering the motor and soft plate hop-ups today.)
Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Vyger

For those of us who like and practice Yoga, there is the ''Guru'' wich is the Sanskrit word for teacher or guide.

So thanks to our F1-Guru
Thanks, but guru...I don't know about that. I just really enjoy these cars and hope that anyone else buying/running one enjoys it as much as I do. I'm very happy to hear you're going to keep your car. I think you made the right choice. You can always look at it this way; if you're going to a track to race you have a primary chassis and a secondary chassis. Each offers its own characteristics that might be suitable for that track.

Vyg
Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

Well, I spent alot last nite reading this thread! Very cool that people still care about the F1 chassis. The new HPI car got me looking, then i saw the corally from an ad in Rc car action at the store, then i find this thread here.

I always wanted to race F1 in the early 90s, but all i ever saw was coverage of stuff in England. It apparantly was all the rage there. I bought several magazines when i was there. But in states, in my area at the time, all we had was off road and oval.

Since Im in the Seattle area now, it would be nice if there was a following at the on road tracks.

What classes are run for these? Ive seen mention the Tamiya rules and then just pan car style? what fits and what doesnt? I would rather get brushless setup, but if the rage is going to be Tamiya spec, then i could deal with it...
Old 07-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Raguvian

Seeing all these F1's makes me want to get one, but I have no place to run something like that. The street where I live has tiny bumps in it that would definitely scrape up the bottom of the car, and I've flipped my TT-01 on those bumps, plus the parking lot at my high school is always rocky and under construction.

They look really fun to drive though!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 AM
HeliYogi

For all F1 pilots in southern CA (Los Angeles specially). this track is awesome. I Was there two weeks ago on a Sunday.

$10 for practice, nice friendly staff. Perfect for F1. Fast long strait... check it out.
360 view: http://www.westcoastrcraceway.com/360_Onroad.aspx
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19410.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1246932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46047.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1246933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20452.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1246934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69086.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1246935  
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Willystylz

I so wish I had a track like that near me[&o]
Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
HG1980
Banned

nice......
Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

Well,
I just won a 15th anniversary F103R... It should be at home next week. Im in Burbank, CA until 13th. Any hobby shops have parts here near burbank? Also, for those in the Seattle area, where can i get parts in stock and racing? Im from the Seattle area.

Ron
Old 08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
2carteam

You might want to try speedtechrc.com their located in san gabriel, Ca Thats about 30-35 minutes from burbank. Also in lake forest ,ca Gyros hobbies. I'm not sure if Ultimate hobbies in orange,ca might carry any 103 parts. Both Gyros and ultimate are in orange county and that would entail well over an hour drive. Not sure what your looking for but i 15th ann car shoul;d have just about everything you would want.... Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Vyger

OK Willy, I'm about 90% done. I still have to paint the cockpit and helmet but I had to post up some pics. My interpretation of a modern Jordan. I think I’ll change a couple of things on the next one, but this one is a runner.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Willystylz

Ok Vyger you've outdone us all!! That is hands-down the nicest F104 i've seen yet! I've been trolling on the other big forum and nothing over there even touches yours. It looks like it must've been fun trying to get some of your decals trimmed properly........especially the B&H sidepods. Just curious, where do you get your decals from? I've seen that d-drivesports carries a variety of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.