Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Vyger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

ORIGINAL: Vyger

From looking at the online manual on Tamiya USA's website it looks like the F104W GP kit uses the standard size F103 bearing, which is the 850 size. That size will not work with F104 wheels, they use a larger outer diameter bearing. With that being said, and looking at the manual illustrations the car would need F103 wheels front and rear. The ones pictured in the manual are compatible with the F103 sponge tires.

Part number Wheels: 51349 or 51348
Sponge Tires Front: 84094
Sponge Tires Rear: 84095
Or pre-assembled wheels and tires: 54135

For rubber tires on the F104W you will need the following from Tamiya:
Front Wheels: 9338096
Rear Wheels: 9338097
Rubber Tires Front & Rear Bag: 9408053

These are listed as a 7 digit part because they're replacement parts and not ''hop-ups''.

Keep in mind the standard F104 wheels are a different size. The are set up to handle the longer kingpin for the newer style a-arms. Your car uses the F103 size kingpin and and a-arms, meaning the standard F104 wheels are to large.

Now, with all that being said the kit tires referenced above aren't that great and will most likely cause you more headaches than actual pleasurable driving. There are options out there for better tires. Pit Shimizu makes tires for the F104W cars and they are WAY better than the kit tires. Click the link below to TQ Racing's website. These guys are reputable, helpful and have a great selection to get you on your way with something that works well.

[link=http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=1987&s_cate_id=&s_maker_id=&s_sort=3&p_keyword=f103&pg_no=2]TQ Racing F104W Tires[/link]

I hope this helps and good luck with it!
@TTerbo See the information and link above for tire options.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 AM
TTerbo

Alright sweet, those those should fit my tamiya frog? i just want to double check.
cheers
Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Vyger

Sorry man, my bad...I thought you were talking about an F104. No those wont fit the Frog.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 PM
rc-kramer

Hey Vyger, thanks!! That means a lot coming from someone with as much attention to detail as myself! Love your man-cave pics, awesome set up. I'm liking the Jordan 191 and Tyrrell Yamaha, and of course the Ferrari collection and all of the Senna cars (of which I'll have about 4 of shortly!!)

I am also looking at an Audi R8R Le Mans on the 'Bay at the moment, I'm guessing yours is the F103LM chassis..? Am in the process of ordering more parts to finish the 2nd chassis, so will post more pics later.

Quick one for you Vyger, have you ever thought about making up a quick reference guide for set up and compatibility, given your vast knowledge and experience of F1's...?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:44 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Is an F103 for a Group C Chassis with 3 bodies a fair trade?I prefer the appearance but could do it to my F103 for about $35..
Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Vyger

@Kramer - Yes that is an F103LM chassis under there. That's one kit that is still an all box stock build. I just haven't had the chance to add any mods to the car yet. Someday I'd love to the TRF LM kit. That was one sweet little chassis.

I've thought about it but it's such a big project to cross reference everything, chassis, parts, hop-ups, bodies, etc, etc. I've been approached by all sorts of people that want to do a book, or a video, or even a nostalgic race like Goodwood or something similar. I've even lent some of them to Tamiya for articles and pictures. The bottom line is, it all boils down to time and I'd rather wrench than write, but maybe someday. If I get around to it I think it would be something easy like an excel sheet type of a deal.

@Narwhal - if you have an F103 why don't you just put the Exotek chassis conversion on it and be done. Unless you want to the Group C/GTP cars. They're nice but they don't really handle as well as you'd think...depending on the surface. Without seeing what's being traded it's sort of difficult to give an opinion.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:56 AM
rc-kramer

1. Foam tyres + artificial grass = no traction + awesome donuts!!

2. Yes, I understand how big a task making up such a document would be, but with the amount of information out there it's easy to get lost!! Mind you, having now had some exposure to these chassis, it's not hard to see the differences and get around them.

3. The local-ish hobby shop actually had the Tamiya spray paint I needed to finish my 99T...

Really quite happy with how it came out, considering it was my first attempt!! One slight problem though was the paint seemed to crawl away from the edge of one of the wing end-plates. Perhaps I'll be extra careful in cleaning and prep with isoprop next time...

I fitted a couple of small foam pads underneath where the body posts come through to prevent the clips rubbing through the paint...

The most time-intensive part of the job was cutting out and applying the decals, but patience won out in the end...

I'm always careful to cut as close to the edges as possible...

So there we have it, the Lotus Honda 99T, as driven my Satoru Nakajima in the 1987 F1 World Championship...

Still need to do the helmet and attach it to the body. One other point worth noting are that I cut the body to be as close to the chassis as possible...

I just need to finish trimming the body for the sister car, driven by none other than the mighty Ayrton Senna, and attach the decals (proper Camel livery) and the grid pair is complete!!

Few quick questions, I have the TS-26 Pure White spray, is this correct for the McLaren MP4/5/6/7 series (I already have the correct fluorescent red) and the Williams FW16? Also, what is the correct blue for the Williams?

Lastly, I've been able to source pretty much every F103/4 spare part under the sun, apart from the simple steel motor plate that fits to the outside of the gearcase. Any suggestions...?

Thanks all, enjoy the pics!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:48 PM
rc-kramer

Got a little bored waiting on parts so decided to start modeling a 103 in Inventor...

Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Vyger

DAMN!!!! Nice work Kramer. A man after my own heart. You cut those stickers out the way I would do it. A++++ Most people don't go to that length, but it pays off in the end by making the clear portion disappear or at the very least more difficult to see.

Yes that's the correct white. What I've do with the florescent red/pink is lay down about three even coats then back with with bright red then shoot the whole thing white. Test it out on scrap lexan. It tones down the florescent just enough to make look like the real deal, IMO. As for the Williams blue I use Tamiya PS4. I think it works damn near perfect.

Are you talking about this part? Or the original cast aluminum motor motor mount?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:43 PM
rc-kramer

Thanks Vyger!! Truth is, seeing your work has been incredibly influential, to the point of watching a great deal of old F1 races from the 80's and 90's to see these cars in action again... Check out "roundsinthechamber" channel on YouTube for full length videos.

Good advice on the McLaren painting; I have a Tamiya 1/20th MP4/5b and found the fluoro to be quite 'in yer face', so I think I'll certainly try the method you describe.

The motor plate I'm after is not the actual mount as you show, but the smaller, trapezoidal(?) shaped plate with the one large hole in the middle for the pinion shaft and the 2 smaller screw holes at each end. I found one seller on the 'Bay but was sold out, other than that no luck. I'm not sure what other kits it was a part of...
Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Vyger

HHHMMMMMM....I'm not getting the visual on the part your talking about...do you have an item number or a pic. I'm only asking so I can point you in the right direction. I know a couple of good sources but don't want to send you digging if I know they don't have it.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM
rc-kramer

Managed to find this pic, sorry it's not the best quality...

Found it for sale from a couple of UK stockists, but it's rather expensive compared to other places I've shopped at!!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Vyger

REALLY...that's the part you're searching for? That's funny...I can't tell you how many of those of chucked in my day. LOL I can take a look in my parts bin and see if I have one...where the hell is New Zealand?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:20 PM
rc-kramer

Lol, absolutely!! I figured they would be such a common part that most people who've done RC for a while must have buckets of them... if you manage to find a few you can throw my way I'll be happy to shout the postage.

And yeah, where the hell is New Zealand?? I've been here for 8 years now (UK originally) and still wonder at how far away from everything the place really is!!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 AM
rc-kramer

Hi everyone,

Had a few more deliveries over the last week or so...

I decided to use more or less standard items for the 2nd Lotus I'm building, and only use a small selection of Hop-ups, instead of the complete overhaul I originally planned. I'm building another chassis with a full compliment of carbon bits, as well as some of the more tasty Tamiya/3Racing options. Below is the Ball mount T-bar kit...

In addition to the alloy motor mount, I have built the rear axle using a 104 carbon shaft, the alloy diff. housing kit with .04 spur gear and a clamp-type wheel stopper...

I also added the carbon reinforced F103 front arms, the reinforced knuckles and a pair of 45mm turnbuckles...

Back to the Lotus, I opted for a standard lower and upper deck, with the rest of the chassis pretty much as the kit...

I did fit a lightweight alloy rear diff. joint to the standard steel axle, and have a the matching stopper on the opposite end, however used a standard plastic gear case & diff. housing...

I purchased the gold mesh wheel set and fitted the C -compound foam tyres...

Should make a nice pair when they are done...

I finished up the rear wing, leaving the inside of the end plates black for that T-car look...

I also fitted the carbon friction plate and low friction pads, as well at the same 3Racing alloy post on the #11 car...

Almost done! Just need a few bearings for the rear axle and to sticker the body...

More pics to follow. Thanks for looking!!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:05 AM
rc-kramer

So I've actually got a few chassis on the go at the moment, the 2 F103's...

...and my first F104...

This is a full carbon chassis, upper and lower, and it's stiff as f*ck!! I'm using a carbon reinforced gearcase with the diffuser, the high traction T-bar, alloy pivot post (which is a bit of a misnomer as there is really no movement in the rear at all...) and standard 104 front arms with carbon swivels. I'll be fitting a carbon rear axle and alloy diff, and have a real nice set of wheels for this one too! I want to try and keep it as black as possible, so perhaps this will make a good Lotus E21 candidate...

Building these cars is a real learning curve, and I would actually recommend buying a kit first as opposed to a bunch of parts and making them fit. But I like to challenge myself, and the 104 is certainly a bit different!! You're unable to use the RD kingpin kit, as although the lower front arms are fixed, the uppers are on ball joints so require the use of either the standard kingpins with underslung spring, or you can use the RD swivel kit (with the grub screws).
Old 09-07-2012, 04:25 AM
rc-kramer

Ok, last post from me for now! I started work on the McLaren MP4/7 body I have; it's an aftermarket moulding, not the best quality but has enough detail. Trimmed it to fit the carbon 103 chassis above, and the front wing is close enough to use...

I masked off the windshield as this will remain clear lexan, and masked and shot the fluorescent before backing with TS-8 Italian Red (a little clue to my next build ; )...) as per Vyger's clear instructions...

BEWARE!! Much more paint comes out of these little cans than you actually realise, resulting in a fair bit of seepage under my masking that required careful removal along the detail line. Things got much worse when I shot the white. I thought all was going well until a little later...

Not looking too bad, not great, but acceptable, until...

OH NO!! The white must have attacked the red underneath, causing it to run and mix!! How am I to salvage this?? The rear end wasn't too bad at all luckily, and started to look better once I added the black detailing around the floor area...

A lesson in painting certainly... Vyger, I could sure use some more of your tips!!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Vyger

Hey Kramer. Sorry I've been away for a while...life, it gets busy. OH NOOOO!!!! WOW, I have to say I've never seen that before. Was the paint totally dried in between cotes. You still might be able to salvage it, if you want to put the time into the process. There's a thinner you can use on lexan that wont harm it. Most thinners will fog the lexan and cause it to become brittle. The Testors 1148 thinner is in my bag of tricks to fix problems.

You would need to strip that entire section basically the nose and start over. Make sure you wash it well with soap and water. Before you start painting it again place the body over a while sheet of paper (or anything bright white) to make sure all the color has been removed. Keep doing this until you have a clean section ready to repeat the painting process. Or...start over with another body...those are the only two options that I can think of.

Below is a link to the UF1 Houston website. This is a really cool place to hang out and all the guys are super cool. There's a thread they started on there with some of the stuff I've done in the past. I've added pics of the McLaren build that I did way back in 2008. The link below is a direct link.

http://www.uf1houston.com/index.php?...54-vyger-work/
Old 09-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Vyger

Hey Kramer I just realized after revisiting your post and carefully looking at the pics...that's the wrong paint! You need the PS (polycarbonate spray) not the TS (Tamiya Spray) which is an acrylic lacquer...for plastic models. That's probably why the paint didn't mix well together...the second color re-cut the first color and you got bleeds. Unfortunately, the first time you run that car and hit something your paint is going to crack like an egg shell. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 PM
rc-kramer

Hey Vyger, thanks for the heads up! Hmm, so this is a learning curve lol... I've done plenty of real car touch ups and paint repairs, but very little model spraying. Long gone are my days of Humbrol enamels... I'd wondered about the differences between the Tamiya paints, now I know; so is the TS acrylic and the PS enamel...?? I'm guessing the TS paints are used for ABS bodies that come with other RC's and which the 1/20th scale static kits are made from...? I used the TS Camel Yellow for the Lotus I did earlier, seemed to work really well and give good coverage, but then I clipped a kerb with the nose; paint cracked just as you mention but I was able to rub it back with a small piece of wire wool and touch it up, you can't notice it.

I've been using the acrylic XF-1 paint for the flat black detailing; it requires a few coats but seems to work ok, it can get thick in some areas so perhaps requires thinning...? Or would you recommend using the enamels for the clear lexan bodies? I tried looking around on the 'net for some info, but most people were just saying it's down to personal preference, and not differentiating between using certain paints for certain applications...

As for salvaging the MP4/7, I'm using a sharp razor blade to remove as much of the affected area without damaging the lexan too much, and I'll finish it off with some 400-grit wet paper, hopefully that should clean it up well enough. I'll just use the paints I have for now, and make extra sure each coat is dry; that probably was a factor in the mixing earlier... Great pics of your McLaren, that is certainly the standard I hope to attain in time. Hopefully my next few projects will turn out better. I'm sure this MP4 will be ok once the decals go on, and I don't think I'll run it too much; it will probably go in Senna collection unless I decide to get another body and do a better job once my skills are developed.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll be sure to post my progress!!
Old 09-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Vyger

Hey Kramer, sorry about the bad news man. I think weve all made a few mistakes in the past. Yes the TS Sprays are for the hard, or ABS, style plastic...like models. The PS spray is for polycarb bodies and is flexable to handle lexan.

The flat acrylics are fine for detailing, thats what i use all the time to detail the drivers.

Good luck with everything, i hope it turns out well. Post up those pics. :-)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:28 AM
rc-kramer

Of course, mistakes are all part of the process!! Well, moving on, I did some detailing on the MP4/7 front wing. I used white sticker sheet to cover the transverse airfoils and endplates, and covered the leading edges with clear sticker sheet before affixing the Good Year logos...

I finished up the stickering on the other Lotus 99T, including the tyres...

They make a nice pair!! I also have something else in line too, you will have to wait and see... Also stickered up a set of medium Tamiya tyres on 104 mesh wheels...

...and fitted them to the carbon F103/104 Hybrid...

Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Vyger

Nice job as usual man. Great work with that front wing. Very clean. And the Lotus is looking marvelous! How goes the McLaren body...any luck with it?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 PM
rc-kramer

Thanks Vyger, really appreciate the comments!! The McLaren is finished now, I used a sharp razor and some wire wool to remove the affected area...

I used the paint I already had, like I said I won't be running this one, especially after the painful birth!! The result is much better having taken care between coats...

Once I started detailing the cockpit the flaws in the finish elsewhere seemed to become less obvious...

...and as the stickers were applied it began to look good, having a 'just raced' feel about it...

I'll need to build up a F104w chassis for this one, keeping in mind the MP4/5 and 6 both use this later base. I'm thinking of doing a MP4/4 on a 103 chassis though. I'm short on funds at the moment so am just trying to get through the small jobs I need to complete with what I have...
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 PM
rc-kramer

Talking of small jobs to complete, having crashed the Lotus at my local velodrome during a high speed banked turn, I was able to salvage the broken T-bar...

...and turn it into a friction plate for the other 103...

This then became the roll damper, as using the ball mount kit with an aftermarket shock gives no roll control without one. The problem was how to build and mount one...? I had considered the TRG setup but $$$ and limited space, so after a while staring at and thinking about it, came up with this; first fitted a longer screw to the forward T-bar mount...

...then fitted the friction plate across the chassis top plate with the pole on the screw...

Looks great and should work a treat! I may need to add some more springs or use a stiffer set, but it seems to be good. Now I just need the rain to stop so I can run it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.