Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

Old 09-15-2012, 09:33 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

Wooooooow.

I think I'll stick to going slow...
Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 PM
rc-kramer

Yes, brushless F1 on hard foams, a cold day and slightly bumpy concrete banking equals an intimate relationship with the outside wall... I need to bust out the trigonometry and work a few calcuations to determine the right speed to take the turns at, and fit appropriate rubber for the conditions ; )
Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 AM
rc-kramer

Ok, so I figured the banking at the velodrome is around 45degrees. The radius is approximately 38m. Using the following formula;

v = sqrt(r.g.tan(degrees)) where g = 9.81m/s^2

the target speed is ~19.5m/s.

With the C-compound foams the rolling circumference is 0.195m (quite a nice number considering my goal)...

So then, 19.5m = 0.195m x 100; this means the wheel is doing 100rev/s @ 19.5m/s, which is 6000rpm.

I'm running a standard 63T spur/17T pinion, which gives a ratio of 3.71:1. 6000rpm x 3.71 = 22,260rpm. This is the motor speed.

Now I just need to set my TX EPA so that the motor runs at this speed at full throttle, so I can do full throttle banked turn runs and (theoretically) stay out of the wall...!!
Old 09-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Vyger

uuuumm...they said there would be no math []
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 PM
rc-kramer

Lol, you started it!! ; )

In fact, it would be nice to know the co-effficient of friction between the tyres and the road surface, as then I'll be able to calculate the velocity range I can negotiate the turn at.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 PM
CipherDec

ORIGINAL: rc-kramer

Hi everyone,

Had a few more deliveries over the last week or so...

I decided to use more or less standard items for the 2nd Lotus I'm building, and only use a small selection of Hop-ups, instead of the complete overhaul I originally planned. I'm building another chassis with a full compliment of carbon bits, as well as some of the more tasty Tamiya/3Racing options. Below is the Ball mount T-bar kit...

Hey Kramer,

Where do you buy your Tamiya parts at? Your local store, or a website? Your Car's look great. btw

Respectfully,
CipherDec

Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 PM
rc-kramer

Thanks Cipher! Always appreciate the comments...

I buy my parts from eBay mainly, my top 3 sellers are;

rc.sausage.dog
captain.hobby
gifteasy2000 - for F1 bodies

I also buy parts from TQ RC Racing, Tower and HobbyKing. All ship internationally and have pretty reasonable prices. If one item is out of stock at one place, another will always undoubtedly have it in...
Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 AM
jonnytitelips

Wow, this thread is making me want to get one.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 AM
fritzzzz

Me too....  The question is - which one???!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:40 AM
rccartips

Hello just sharing, F1 rc cars dyno contest.

[link=http://www.rccartips.com/rc-car-dyno-f1-testing.htm]Photos, video and results here.[/link]

Thanks for looking.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 AM
rc-kramer

Hey all!!

So after my previous high speed excursion into the wall, I got round to rebuilding the 11 car. First the rear wing...

...and the body;

The pair are reunited...

...and as mentioned previously, joined by a very special new addition;

More to come soon!!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:33 PM
conceptmachine

Hi guys, some awesome F1's , very impressive.
I want to jump into these, and do a few,  One for me and each of my sons.  Time is very tough to find for me.  I used to do a lot of hobby stuff, but now I'm limited to just RTR stuff. LOL   Do these run well?  I remember about 24 years ago I bought a F-1 RC car... just a cheap store bought one.  I really liked the  way it looked and ran on the road.  Kinda bounced around a little, but nothing beats the look of these cars.  The original OP, man, thats a stunning collection.  You have a passion for these things, and its great to see.  I collect a lot of different things... in a way, I wish it was one specific thing LOL...  

Gotta find out which one to get.  So far I'm looking at the f104v2 chassis, and a body kit.  Wish they had several body decal kits for these, so I could do all different ones.  

Thanks guys looking great.  Congrats! 
Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 AM
rc-kramer

Hi everyone. First of all, Happy New Year!! Here's hoping 2013 will be a lucky year....

The F104v2 I'm sure is a great chassis kit to start with as it has all the major hop ups included, however I don't have one myself so cannot comment on its performance. I'm sure Vyger has spoken of his build and testing of this chassis, not sure of it was here in this thread or elsewhere though.

One thing I do know is my bodies arrived before Christmas and I had the holidays to get through a few of them!! First up was the McLaren MP4/4 destined for the full carbon F103 chassis I built earlier, to honour the fact that the MP4 series were the first carbon fibre monocoque cars to compete in F1. This is the one Senna won the 1988 Championship in...

The rear wing above was quite easy to make. The one for the later MP4/7 was not!! Certainly the most complex I've made, it was a challenge...

Here it is on the car...

...and here are the pair of MP4's....

Thanks for looking, more to come soon!!

Hey Vyger, if you're still around these threads it would be cool to see any new stuff you're doing : )
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 AM
conceptmachine

Nice looking Formula's Kramer!
I got the first kit put together and running. I was trimming the f103 body and followed the wrong line UUHHHGGG.. Is there anyplace that sells the 103 body like in the camel yellow above? Rips me to shreds.. dumb mistake.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM
rc-kramer

ORIGINAL: conceptmachine

Nice looking Formula's Kramer!
I got the first kit put together and running. I was trimming the f103 body and followed the wrong line UUHHHGGG.. Is there anyplace that sells the 103 body like in the camel yellow above? Rips me to shreds.. dumb mistake.

Thanks! Yeah, have a look on eBay, there are plenty of genuine Tamiya and aftermarket F1 bodies available on there...

Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
conceptmachine

Thanks Kramer!

Finished today though. It looks great... I didn't think it would turn out, but it did okay.
I'll snap a picture or two and get it out.

THanks again.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Vyger

What up Kramer! Happy New Year bud!

I'm always around the forums...lurking....checking things out. LOL I am in the midst of jumping back onto a project I started just before Thanksgiving...back in November. The holidays took all my free time away. It's all painted just waiting for me to apply the stickers. I'll start it up again and post up some pics.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM
conceptmachine

This was a fun build, though time consuming. I took time off work just to get i done. I'm my own boss, so I'll let today slide.. LOL. Man, I'd need another 3 days to finish 2 more LOL.

The onego-cartisdoor prize at the 1980 indy 500. Got it from the guy who claims he won it there. Never ran, never gas in it.
I really like the indy cars. I tried this one out in the house with a 3cell 2100MAH bat, and it flies... too fast... so need to find a 2 cell. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 2 cell lipo pack that fits well? Also, where does a person get those awesome good year tire stickers... my kit never came with any

Thanks for the look!

Jimmy

Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM
rc-kramer

Hey Jimmy, nice Lotus!! Double check your sticker sheet for the Good Year decals, they're white to are sometimes hard to see against the backing paper...

I think I'll end up buying another of these kits, just for the front wing; the second car I built I cut the body the same shape as the original kit, but the aftermarket front wings I bought have a different profile! Its ok though, I'll paint the 3rd body black and make it into Ayrton Senna's 1985 Lotus 97T, the car he won his first GP in. I'll be sure to cut the body the right shape this time...

Thats a cool looking little go-cart. You should really get some gas in it and take it for a spin! What motor does it run?

Happy New Year Vyger, good to see you still lurking lol. Can't wait to see your latest project even if its half as good as your previous work (and I'm sure it will be better!!)

I put together a 2012 Lotus E20 body over the break; trimmed and fitted sidepods, built fr & rr wings, painted body and fitted to my F104 chassis, but the sticker set that came with it is pretty crap. I'll have to get the ones I've seen on TQRC. Will post some pics once I finish it, but probably won't be for a while; I'm building a chassis dyno at the moment so I can try out this software from RCCarTips : )
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM
conceptmachine

Kramer, will recheck sticker sheet...would love to have those on there and spinnin'

EDIT: Nope, no sticker sheet with tire stickers. The main sticker sheet has a bluish tinted background, so can't mistake anything being on it.

That stinks about the body and front wing. Its expensive when a mistake is made on these bodies, since you can't buy some of them without getting the whole kit uughhgg. Good luck with it next time.

The go-cart has a briggs and stratton engine... I think its a 5 HP, or a 3.5.. I don't even really know for sure the HP LOL
Yeah, I was thinking about running it, but I need to pull the body off of it in order for my legs to reach the pedals. My knees cannot bend to get underneath the dash.

TC

Jimmy
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 PM
stevo_aus

Check out this teaser video for RC F1 in Australia for the 2013 season from a site dedicated to promoting RC F1: www.rcformula1.com

Edit: hmmm, couldn't embed the video. Check it out on their YouTube channel, it's the first video on the page: www.youtube.com/rcformula1
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM
stevo_aus

ORIGINAL: conceptmachine

Gotta find out which one to get. So far I'm looking at the f104v2 chassis, and a body kit. Wish they had several body decal kits for these, so I could do all different ones.
The F104 v2 is a really good car. Performs well and lots of alloy bling and carbon fibre. Here's a summary page with lots of v2 setup information, reviews, setup sheets, video links, etc
http://www.rcformula1.com.au/index.p...resource-index

F1 Paintlabs have a range of different decal sheets:
http://f1paintlab.mybigcommerce.com/decals/
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 AM
stevo_aus

Our comprehensive Buyers Guide to F1 RC cars with details of all major F1 chassis including recommendations. Links to: reviews, building guides, setup information and more.

If you are just starting out then this article can provide a great guide to choosing your first F1 car. If you are an old hand then you should still find it interesting.

http://www.rcformula1.com.au/index.p...1-buyers-guide
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM
jleblanc
My Feedback: (17)

Wow, these things are pretty darn amazing! seems to me these are the kind that are more fun working on and building then actual running them. Atleast in my eyes they would be, I love to tinker.... Good stuff people! lol...spent the last 4hrs looking at all 30 something pages..
Old 02-09-2013, 04:12 PM
KimBye

Hi I`m new to Rc cars or rather i have not played with these things since i was about 15, i`m 37 next month...
The F1 cars seems really cool and i think i would like to have a go at this, but i feel there is a ton of info to be digested before i can purchase a car myself.
I have read the getting started and F1 buyers guide on Rcformula1.com, but would like som input as to what i should buy. It does not have to be the cheapest option, but then again it does not need to be the most expensive.. Hell I`ll even consider buying a used setup, so if anyone have some to sell please PM me
Reading the buyers guide the serpent F110 looked sweet and simple, but i could not find any stores selling that car, it might be totally new or maybe discontinued?
The Kyosho plazma seemed cool too, and it`s Kyosho, so i know it`s easy to get support and spare parts, but i guess that`s why the price is so high..
Anyways keep the info and links comming.

Thanks in advance

Kim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.