Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Vyger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

LMAO.... , same happened to me buddy....I was just glancing thru the threads and found this one.... [:@] I now own 3 of'em in the span of a month........Vyger is the guy to thank.... [:-]
Hey don't blame me! I didn't do anything. LOL

Sorry I've been sort of quite lately, I've been just a little under the weather this week. I do have an update. I'm building a new F103 chassis...why...to mount up the McLaren MP4/7 I've also started. YEAH!!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 PM
lee172

do you ever run them? and whats your typical motor/ESC setup? eg: do you favour a certain setup, or is it whatever combo you have to hand?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:32 PM
houstonrevo

I am trying to get into one as well. I am considering my options:

1) F103 15 Anniv addition
2) MLP Viper F1
3) Corally F1
4) F103RM with TRG upgrade chassis

My objective is to get a killer handling car and be able to fit the TRG M91 (MP4/6) or M92 (MP4/7) body as the same time.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:35 AM
Vyger

Hey Lee, are you talking about my cars? If so, I have run them. I ran F1's for about seven or so years. I even competed in the TCS series with them a few times, never won the trip. [] I use to favor the Novak Cyclone II ESC with the breaks turned way WAY down. The cars are way to loose in the rear and they would want to do 360's if the setting was to high. I use to run with gold springs in the front of the car and I'd use the gold springs on the rear damper as well. When I'd re-build the car I'd use the soft or medium Tamiya damper grease on the front king pins. This would dampen the front end and made it feel way more consistent. The T-plate and rear damper post would be adjusted at the track, depending on traction. I always ran kit rear tires and Tamiya HBR medium fronts. Now at the time I was running they didn't use traction additives for the track or the tires. So, you'd run with the kit chassis and use the long Tamiya FRP upper deck. Sometimes if the track was too loose you could loosen up the two front screws of the upper deck to allow the chassis to flex more for bite, but that was a tuning thing. The car I'm building as a runner now has the carbon chassis and carbon upper deck. I'm thinking it's going to be to stiff but well see. I plan on using an LRP Comp III ESC on the new chassis. I'm also going to order a newer servo, probably a Futaba, micro, high speed/high torque, with ball bearings...something tiny and fast. You don't need allot of torque to turn these light wheels, even under load.

That's sort of the basic set up. If you have any specific questions about set up just shoot me a note.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Vyger

I started working on the new chassis today. I took an older car (a PIAA) and basically stripped it down and added a few hop-ups here and there. This is how the chassis started out.

These are a few of the hop-ups I put on the car. I didn’t use the aluminum wheel hubs or the blue damper post from 3-Racing. I think I’m going to safe those for another build.

I’m using a front wing I bought on E-bay. It originally supported the Tamiya MP4/6. Since I’m working on the MP4/7 I thought it would work well. The MP4/6 is a F102 chassis so the wing required a little modifying to get it work. I mounted it up, marked cut lines, then used flush cuts to trim it down. I also had to drill a hole for the forward A-arm screw.

Then I stripped the entire car down. The only part that wasn’t disassembled was the motor pod. I used a carbon fiber chassis, a carbon fiber F103LM upper deck, a modified TRF F103 shock, aluminum ball ends and titanium socket-head screws. I also replaced the stock damper springs for the gold set (slightly a heavier spring). I ordered a set of 3x35mm titanium screws made by Square, these are also socket head screws and will replace the long steel bulkhead screws supplied in the kit. Because they’re a little longer than the kit screws I used a 2mm spacer to take up the gap. I dropped bearings into the rear and mounted the Tamiya .06 104 spur gear on the 3-Racing carbon fiber rear axel/shaft. Something I didn’t realize is the 3-Racing carbon axel is hollow. They didn’t say that on the their site and I couldn’t tell from the pics. It’s only a problem if you hit something or get hit from the rear. WHOOPS….

I also swapped out some of the kit supplied parts for the TRF F103GT shock kit. I happen to have some polished aluminum caps from an old 414m kit to replace the blue ones. I used the plastic spring retainer instead of the aluminum one, the reason being is the aluminum one is much thicker and ads preload to the shock once it mounted. The plastic part is thinner as you can see from the pic below. I tossed the white spring and went with the older neon red one, which is allot softer. I used 30wt oil with the three hole piston to dampen the small amount of movement at the rear of the car. This should help the rear get a little more traction and allow the center of the chassis to sag down more in the center and help with cornering.

Upfront I mounted up a Futaba S9602 servo. This servo provides 30oz. of torque at .11 sec for speed. This should be more than adequate for this car. I opted out of using the Tamiya servo mounts. Instead, I used some trusty old Shoe-Goo to mount the servo. To do this I measured the servo and marked the centerline with a Sharpe on the bottom side. Then I measured the width of the chassis to find the centerline. I made two marks to line up the front and rear of the servo. This helps ensure you’re keeping it straight. I also made a line to mark how far forward I needed to have it. I put a small piece of double-sided tape (the same type used to mount the foam tires) on the bottom of the servo, pealed and stuck. Once in position I used a liberal amount of shoe-goo on each side. You can rub this down into the corner edge of the servo and the chassis by wetting the tip of your finger. As long as your finger is wet the goo wont stick to you. I let this sit over night to harden and dry. I’m really pleased with how this came out and can’t wait to give it a try. If you look at the pics below the standard servo looks almost quarter scale in comparison. The servo has the Tamiya heavy-duty servo saver mounted to it with adjustable turnbuckles reaching out to each axel and wheel. On each end of the turnbuckle I used the Molly Ball ends from Tamiya. These are a little harder than the stock plastic ones, so they shouldn't stretch and ad slop over time.

I'm pretty happy with how the chassis has turned out so far.

Next stop, the body…

Old 11-10-2008, 12:31 AM
HeliYogi

Vger you are the GURU of 1/10 F1 bulding... [8D]
Zen has a close enough copy of the Benetton/BMW 186 that won the 1986 Mexico City GP (the one I wrote to you about), here is a photo. Maybe an interesting project?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47299.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1069246  
Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Vyger

ORIGINAL: HeliYogi

Vger you are the GURU of 1/10 F1 bulding... [8D]
Zen has a close enough copy of the Benetton/BMW 186 that won the 1986 Mexico City GP (the one I wrote to you about), here is a photo. Maybe an interesting project?
Thanks man I like the paint job. I looked up that car online when I got your PM. Id like to do it if I could piece together the decals. Right now I've got a total of four cars that I'm working on, I need to finish these up before I take on another project. LOL
Old 11-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Vyger

I took these pics earlier tonight and just thought I'd share

The Williams Collection

The Ferrari's

The McLaren's

The Lotus collection

My Indy cars. The Kmart car I got used. The one of the next body's that I have to do. I did the Motorola car.

That's been done half ass. LOL I did this so all of the old school hop-ups could be seen while the body is still on. I'm thinking of doing this with the new F103R car when it comes out. I just don't know what body set to use yet.

My F103GT

The old F201

And projects...

And the cars on display in my work room.

And that's all for now....
Old 11-12-2008, 12:53 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Vyger: The Ferraris, are those all Tamiya bodies? I didn't know Tamiya made that many different Ferrari bodies.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Vyger

ORIGINAL: drevil

Vyger: The Ferraris, are those all Tamiya bodies? I didn't know Tamiya made that many different Ferrari bodies.
Ya, those are all Tamiya. From left to right 412T1, F310, and the F310B. They also made the F-Type (I think it was the 98/99 or maybe 2000 year car), the 643, and the F189. They may have made some others, but I'm not sure.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 AM
lee172

well that answers my Ferrari question, although ive never heard of the F310 by Tamiya... ive got the F310B though, are you sure you dont have the F189 in the Ferrari group shot?

also i take it that middle Lotus is a non Tamiya item??
Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Vyger

Actually the F310 was produced as a body kit, like the Benetton 195 and the Ligier. I wish I had the F189, but I don't. I'm missing the F189 and the F-Type from the collection. Tamiya has done allot of work with Ferrari over the years with plastic models and RC.

No, actually that Lotus was only released as a body set and never as a kit. I still have one new in the box I think? Those cars are (left to right) the Lotus 107B, 107, and 102B
Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 AM
lee172

does this type of Ferrari interest you? it comes with a lexan and plastic body! based on F103 chassis.

its frustrating about them nice bodies only coming as aftermarket bodysets,,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59479.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1070628  
Old 11-12-2008, 02:43 AM
Dan H

Awesome F1 collection!! I'm jealous
Old 11-12-2008, 03:00 AM
MLP F1

OMG I got to go over to your house man! now that brings back the good old TCS days!!
what a collection.
Great Stuff Great Job!!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Vyger

HA! LOL Thanks Marty. I think I'd have to keep an eye on you if stopped by for a visit. Something tells me I'd have some empty spots on the wall after your visit. LOL

Thank you everyone for the kind words. It make me happy to see there are others out there with the same appreciation for these cars.

Hey Lee, thanks for pointing out that I need to find "another" car. I'm not so sure my wife will understand. LOL For some reason I always forget about that car, maybe because it's a re-release on an F103...not sure. So now I've got get the T-Type, F189, and the 312T3. DOH!!!!

Thank you again everyone for the kind words. I'll put up more pics of the MP4/7 as I make progress.

Lates!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:20 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would've replied earlier but i had to blow-dry the drool off the keyboard...... ,the only thing missing off that wall is the checkered flag...lol.... but now it does explain it all ....it's not a hobby......it's a MADNESS.....
Old 11-12-2008, 07:48 PM
MLP F1

Now I know you don't have this one LOL

Because it is a Williams FW11 body turned into a 187/88c LOL
Old 11-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Vyger

That is FRICKIN COOOOOOLLL!!!!!

I want one now. Do I have an FW11???
Old 11-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Vyger

Hey Marty, I just checked out your new place. Very cool. I really like what you've got going there. Do you mind if I post a link on here. I really think allot guys will dig it. The forums sort of feel like the old Formula RC, please don't take that the wrong way. It's ment as a 100% compliment. I'm just saying it's all FORMULA 1, and that's cool. [8D]
Old 11-13-2008, 01:18 AM
MLP F1

Well I have a set of the decals to make this car I am sending them to my decal guy to have more made, if you want I could send you a set when the come back from him.

I am working on a mold and this is how it will look when I am done.
I started with the Tamiya FW 11B I think you have it in your photos up there Vyger.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 AM
MLP F1

I would be more than happy to have you do that go for it and it was not taken the wrong way at all, our new place and our website is for us the F1 crowed!
that is why I did it! Because I love F1 racing cars and R/C!

Plus we will carry all the F1 Products we can plus our own stuff in time ok. ya know!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 AM
MLP F1

There was a person here looking for some decals to finish his Jag and well they got lost in the move along with his addy, if you come on here I have more if you give me your addy again. ok
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Vyger

Ummmm....ummmmm Does “HECK YES!” mean anything to you? I'd love a set of those decals. I even have a set of gold wheels just sitting around looking to be a part of something special. Please mark me down for a set of those stickers.

On another note, for those of you that have been living under a rock and haven't seen what MLP is all about, I strongly suggest you check out their new website. I did last night and I was thoroughly impressed. From my point of view this looks like a first rate operation. Their website offers data feedback on their testing, lists events, car set ups, products, image gallery (there's already some very nice lookin rides on there), shopping and a forum dedicated to all that is Formula 1. VERY COOL! I put a link below for everyone. So check it out!

Here’s the link.
[link=http://www.mlpmotorsports.net]MLP Motorsports[/link]
Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM
HeliYogi

ORIGINAL: Vyger

Ummmm....ummmmm Does “HECK YES!” mean anything to you? I'd love a set of those decals. I even have a set of gold wheels just sitting around looking to be a part of something special. Please mark me down for a set of those stickers.

On another note, for those of you that have been living under a rock and haven't seen what MLP is all about, I strongly suggest you check out their new website. I did last night and I was thoroughly impressed. From my point of view this looks like a first rate operation. Their website offers data feedback on their testing, lists events, car set ups, products, image gallery (there's already some very nice lookin rides on there), shopping and a forum dedicated to all that is Formula 1. VERY COOL! I put a link below for everyone. So check it out!

Here’s the link.
[link=http://www.mlpmotorsports.net]MLP Motorsports[/link]
I look at this but they don't have any price on thier stuff.

Thanks Vger!
Can you (or anybody) point out wich is the 'L" body and which is the "T" included with Tamitya's new F103RM kits. I order the 84032 and will like to know what options I got for paint/decals. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.