Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

applying traction compound to foams

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:59 PM
gbasile77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default applying traction compound to foams

Hi,

What is the best way to apply traction compound to foam tyres?

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM
WalkerBoh
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: applying traction compound to foams

Use the applicator that comes with the compound. For new tires, let it soak for a bit (20min or more), then re-apply and let sit for 5 minutes. Wipe excess off with a rag and go racing. If racing on carpet, I prefer to hold the car stationary and run the motor to heat up the tires. YMMV

-Aaron
Old 12-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

I was told by a veteran racer to use 30spf sun block on foam tires and to simply rub it on with your hands and let it dry. Take that for what it is worth, because I've not tried it yet.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 AM
rcluke

it depends on what container it comes in.

i have used,

LRP blue factor traction additive - it comes in a tube with a foam applicator on the end - with this you would just squeeze some additve out and rub it round the tyre with the foam

Corally - Jack the gripper - this comes in a tin pot - i brush this on with the built in brush that comes attatched to the inside of the lid.

I race on carpet indoor tracks, and with both of these i apply them as long before the next race as possibe - or when i remember

then as i get the the track, i rub the car on the carpet - so it scrubs the excess off the foam tyres - i then do a lap or 2 to warm the tyres up a bit

i assume that doing the same on tarmac tracks will be the correct thing to do (please correct me if i'm wrong)
Old 12-14-2008, 09:39 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Alpha Male

I was told by a veteran racer to use 30spf sun block on foam tires and to simply rub it on with your hands and let it dry. Take that for what it is worth, because I've not tried it yet.
You're correct. There are two options. Some use the sun block to keep the traction compound from drying before the race. For example the racer will apply traction compound, let it sit for a period of time and then apply a thin coat of sun block over the tire to keep it from drying. On the other hand I have personally tried using just sun block on foam tires and can tell you that it definitely does soften the foam all by itself. You just have to rub it in until you can't see it anymore and then wipe off the tires to get the initial grease off.

If using traction compound by itself just apply it, let it sit for a while (how long is a personal preference) and then wipe the rest off. If you fail to wipe the excess compound off the car will feel really slippery in the first few laps.