Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Lipo Battery Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Car-Tune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Battery Questions....

Yesterday I bought my son(9yrs old) an HPI Sprint 2 Flux with many upgrades and I was wondering about the battery packs for it cus I now have seen many brands and different types.

What is a good Lipo Battery for my HPI Sprint flux?

What is difference from a Lipo and a 6 Cell Battery?

Does Lipo have a longer play time?

Is Lipo better?

which brand do you recomend?

Why do some Lipo batteries dont have the wires?

Can you send me a link from the Tower of a Lipo battery that is already wired to fit my sons car?

Thanks for the help guys!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Car-Tune

Default RE: Lipo Battery Questions....

On a Lipo battery what does the big number mean, for example....7.4V 5200 and 7.4V 2600? is bigger the number the longer play time? cus I know the volt is same wich will put out the same power so my guess is that it will last longer with the larger number?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Druss

I think you need to do a google on lipos, you'll get a lot of information.

The basics are: 7.4v is the voltage. Lipos are based on 3.7v cells so a 7.4v has 2 cells in series. The 5200 is the capacity in mah (milliamp hours), this is how much energy is stored. There is another number called the C rating. The C rating tells you how fast the battery can charge and discharge. In order to find the amps that a battery will discharge just multiply the C rating by the capacity divided by 1000, 20 x 5000 / 1000 = 100amps.

In order to determine which battery you need look at the rating on the motor, then make sure the battery can supply that.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 PM
86waterpumper

Lipos are based on 3.7v cells so a 7.4v has 2 cells in series
you are right they are, but I have always wondered why this is? Since a lipo can obviously be tons of different sizes physically why can't you have one big cell that equals 7.4 or whatever? For that matter, why can't you have others that equal what a 7 or 8 cell pack would be in voltage? I'm sure there is a good explanation for it just haven't heard it yet.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Druss

I don't know. That's like asking why all nimh and nicad cells are 1.2v regardless of size?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 PM
FairTax4me

It has to do with the chemistry, not the size. Lead acid batteries used in real cars and trucks can be huge, and they're only 2v per cell. (6 cells in the battery makes it 12V)

I bet Access could explain it.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Car-Tune

Thank you Guys. Thats good info, hopefuly I get more replys and I will do more research.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Inside each battery is an oxidation-reduction reaction, or "redox." Voltage is used to measure the potential of this occurring reaction. So at a molecular level, the potential of this Lithium redox reaction happening is 3.7 volts nominally. Now depending on the concentration of reactions and products in addition to the temperature, the potential, or voltage, is affected. This is why a freshly charged battery (very low levels of product) has a higher voltage and a drained battery (very low level of reactant) has such low voltage.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 AM
Car-Tune

What batt will you guys recomend for the Sprint Flux?