Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Electric motor help

Old 12-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Rigrishracer22B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric motor help

I race pan car in the 17.5 brushless class but i dnt have the money to buy a brushless setup therefor i have to run a stock 27 turn wich dosent even compare to a brushless motor from what i have seen.Is there anything that i can do legally to my 27 turn motor to make it more competitave,I do have a comm lathe with a diomand tip bit..Any good feedback is appreciated,Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 06:08 PM
lee172

Default RE: Electric motor help

how come you run in the same class as a brushless? thats not fair surely?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Rigrishracer22B

all of there classes run brushless even there minis and lipo...i wish they would go to a motor handout class but this track is in parkersburg WV and i live in portsmouth OH almost 2 hours away my local track shutdown
Old 12-28-2009, 06:36 AM
woodys3b
My Feedback: (13)

I'm fairly new to all this but I have read alot it. The 17.5 BL motors are approved by ROAR to run in the stock 27t brushed class so they must be pretty close. When you look at what's available in a good 27t brushed motor, it's very obvious that they are a dying breed. Maybe ROAR is pushing us into the 21st century, like it or not. The only brushed motor that can hang with the 17.5 is the Trinity CO27. Not sure what the difference is but from what I have read, this is a great motor. However, it will kill a battery pack quickly. They say it is designed to take advantage of the new high ma batteries that are now available. I think getting through a 6 min heat race with a 3000ma pack is kind of iffy. So, you can spend the money on the CO27 and some good batteries or step into the future and go brushless. In the long run, I think you would be better off going brushless. You can get by with the lower ma batteries and they require no maintenance which means they should last longer.

That said, you can still have fun and be competitive in the class with your old brushed motor. When I watch the races at my local track, it is very obvious that the fastest car doesn't always win. You may pick up a second a lap with a BL motor, but if you are waiting for the marshal for 6 seconds after you smack the wall, your advantage is gone. Driving skills are what wins races, not motors.

I'm waiting for Tower to deliver a new TA05 to me so I can race in the same class you are racing in. I plan to run the motor that comes with the car till my skill level gets to the point that I need more. If that comes before I can spend the money on a BL system, I'll buy a used brushed motor from the shop at the track for about $5, They have a box of them) freshen it up a bit and continue racing. But in the long run, I think a BL system is in both of our futures. They just keep getting cheaper and cheaper. You can get a Novak system for $150 now.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 AM
Rigrishracer22B

yes i think brushless is in my future too i have no problem going to brushless lol the only thing is i have alot of time and money invested in brushed motors and i kinda enjoy rebuilding them...and i have 4 pan cars that i own but i let my buddies and my brother run them i guess u can say i have a small race team lol.but 1 thing i dnt think i can do is go lipo i have seen alot of those batteries blow up and im kinda scared of them
Old 12-29-2009, 02:31 AM
OvalRacer99

A lot will depend on what you're running for batteries, as in 4 cell nimh, 6 cell nimh or lipo. They have been running 4 cell in pan cars for about 15 years now and are slowly making the move to single cell lipo. If you are using 4 cell with a brushed motor, it's all about finding the right gearing, and getting the most out of the motor. The thing to do is play with gearing and hope you have some good battery packs.

Also, with all the new high tech ESC's coming on the market, you should be able to find some decent used brushless stuff for sale on the message boards or even EBay.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Carnut1420

sorry can't help u. contact with dupontregistry