Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

RC car pricing in the 1980's

Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 AM
smokydabear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC car pricing in the 1980's

Ive had several RC cars back in the mid 1980's and just wanted to show some costs for these vehicles and the upgrades
Original RC 10 gold pan- bearing kit alone was $90.00, Graphite Chasis was $100
the parts came white and we used to boil clothing die in a pot to die the parts black, remember those days?
Novak electronic speed control was $160.00, futaba micro servos were $50.00 each
At the club I used to race at the Tamiya Superchamp was the car to have, alhough many mods were usually made, soon the RC 10 came out and that was the car that dominated .
Several people had Yokomo 4wd's and they were too good , so the club made them run in a modified class.
When winter came around we would race indoors and change the tires to foam on the RC10-s, someone came along with the idea
to use foam tires from a RC500 and turn them down on a lathe and soon these were the tires everyone ran as the aftermarket street tires
were no good.
Red cell Sanyo batteries $75.00 6 cell !

Today the RC cars are so awesome and I really cant believe how much is factory stock and the upgrades are amazing !
Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: RC car pricing in the 1980's

i remember the 1st rc10 i bought was 185.00 for a bearing kit back in the mid 80's .. yep 75 to 100 for good sanyo sc 1200's not even the scr'S LOL man does this take me back ... my 1st son who is 23 now .... when the wife went into labor i was racing ... never forget, and for some reason hes a R/C addict haha
Old 01-17-2010, 02:23 PM
OvalRacer99

As technology advances, things get cheaper to produce and therefore, sell for less. Remember when a new DVD player was $200? You also have to figure in that a lot of rc stuff is now made overseas, like in China and Japan where labor rates are a lot less than here. Still got agree, things were a lot diffrent back then, maybe a lot easier too.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:45 PM
1320Fastback

I remember when my parents bought a VCR player for $350.00!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 AM
stevenservo

wow thats crazy really good post
Old 01-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Timbulb

The old dye trick is still pretty common, for more colors than just black.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:32 AM
JEC55

I remember my first R/C Car Kit. An associated  road car that had an aluminum plate chassis, solid rear axle, and front suspention with small coil springs. Kinda like a large version of a Bolink Legends kit.  Had to solder the fuel tank together as part of the build. I powered it with a K&B .21 w/ tuned pipe. Ran like Hell, but hard to keep straight. Sold it two months later.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
tom_chang79

You also have to add the fact that since the 80s, many 2nd-world nations have been tamed and civilized to become cheap contract manufacturers for us 1st worlders... Many things in RC are manufactured in China, which drops the prices SIGNIFICANTLY...
Old 01-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Blkft1

I was reading some old RC CarAction mags from the mid 80's thru the 90's,buddy has a few of them.They covered the Whipperwill[sp?] race in Florida,I think Kent Clauson and Cliff Lett participated in that.PizzaHut,Pizza Inn or one of those pizza places that had the "Noid" mascot was a sponsor,anyone remember that goofy annoying character? TowerHobbies still carried the DoubleDare,BigBoss and Monstervette and if you had a Tamiya/MRC Blackfoot hopups [Thorp,CRP or JG Mfg] were quite abundent.The issues we have today are so streamline compared to the older ones,they focused quite abit on the construction of a kit [ex;part A connects to,,,,] rather than just point out any hiccups.And speaking of kits thats what was mostly available back then and most came with plastic bushings [yeck!].The Tamiya/MRC Blackfoot was my first kit,hence my user name then it was a Bruiser[Yow $$$],Traxxas Sledgehammer,ClodBuster and many more now gone.Anyone remember the ad for the Blackfoot when it looked like it was busting thru a wood floor?Or the Traxxas Sledgehammer ad that had the truck sitting on blue and black painted charcoal?