Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Gluing Graphite Chassis Question

Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 AM
DriftTatanka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gluing Graphite Chassis Question

I have an HPI Sprint 2 and I am about get a Cyclone TC for drifting. I wanted to know why in the instructions it says to glue all the egdes of the all the Graphite parts. I have a full graphite setup on my HPI Sprint 2 and I have had no problems without gluing it.

What's the deal?

If I do have to glue it can I use shoe glue or something easy? CA glue... I'm bound to get it on the chassis. Sanding is not my thing. Is it really necessary?

Is it necessary to glue it all together, my Sprint 2 has been fine without glue. No slivers or chaffing.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 AM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Gluing Graphite Chassis Question

its more of a great tip than a must, it keeps the edges from expanding and flaking but my traxxas fiero is 24 years old and my srt is like 15 and neither of their fiberglass chassis are glued and neither are the g10 shock towers and such and i dont have any problems with that happening
Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM
DriftTatanka

Fiber Glass?

What about the carbon graphite? Or it's the same thing? I am suprised they don't come pre-glued.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 PM
OvalRacer99

The sheets of carbon fiber are manufactured in layers and compressed. The glueing of the edges will help it from coming apart if you hit something. I use thin cA glue with the smallest tip you can get as not to make a mess or get it on the chassis. Not a necessity, but a good idea.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 AM
JEC55

Carbon Fiber will delaminate when it gets wet, so gluing the edges with thin CA seals it...
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM
MonkeyFist

Carbon fiber can also delaminate due to a collision. The edges of CF are the weakest point, kinda like ply wood. I glued mine using a q tip. I put the glue on the q tip and "brushed" it on the edges. The best thing was after about three time of putting the CA on the q tip it hardened up and made it even easier to do. If you get a stray piece of cotton stuck in the CA on your chassis a little sand paper will remove it.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Willystylz

That's a good tip (Q-tip that is) for applying the CA glue to CF