Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

New to On Road and looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to On Road and looking for recommendations

Hi all. I've been into RC for many years, but have moved from a country setting, with my own personal off road track, to the city. I have a couple of pan cars, but they're totally uncontrollable unless you're on carpet or a prepped asphalt track. I'm looking for something I can step out the front door with and drive.

Here's what you need to know. I'll be running on Asphalt and Concrete. Most of the time I'll be on smooth asphalt. I plan on running BL and Lipo. From what I've read I think I'm looking for an AWD touring car, but I'm not positive. I just know I DON'T want a pan car. I don't plan on doing any racing with this vehicle; so I'm not looking for the top dollar super high end kits. I also don't want any cheap, beginner, or crappy kits. I would MUCH prefer it come in kit form instead of RTR. Something known for being reliable would be great too. Although, I can't imagine the on road cars need nearly the maintenance and attention as off road so I'm not too worried about it. I'm a BIG AE fan, but I'm open to running Kyosho, Schumacher, etc... as I know they're also good brands. A 1/10 scale model should be a good size for me. I don't have the room some places I'd use it for 1/8th. I think that's all you should need to know to help me out, so, thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Barber420

Default RE: New to On Road and looking for recommendations

So I've been doing a ton of reading and watching videos on YouTube. It's looking to me thus far that a TC5R would fit my needs very well. I've never driven one though, and don't know anyone that has one that I can use for a test drive. Does this sound right to you guys by my previous description of what I'll be doing with it? Like I said, I'd like to get into one of these sooner than later. Someone, with experience, please help me.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Timbulb

Igot my last two AETC3s for $60 and $100, they're sweet. Find something used and take it from there.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Barber420

I've had some bad experiences buying used. I want my RC's to be unbutchered, assebled properly, and in near perfect working order. When I buy used I get the complete opposite of all three of those things everytime. Sometimes I don't mind it, since I like tearing down a basket case and rebuilding/restoring it to like new condition. However, that's not what I'm trying to do this time; especiallys since it will be my first endeavor into touring cars. I would really like to get a brand new kit, in the box, and meticulously assemble it all. I LOVE building new kits!

Right now it looks to me as the AE TC5R kit is my best bet. I know AE very well, always like their stuff(except for 1/18ths), and have faith in the product. Now, if their is a kit of the same quality and performance that is less I would love to hear about it. I'd like to spend closer to $250 on the kit instead of the $350 the TC5 costs. I didn't see anything in kit form I liked at those costs though.