RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/)
-   -   the OFFICIAL R-40 thread ! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/1966778-official-r-40-thread.html)

fastcrash 07-06-2004 08:21 PM

the OFFICIAL R-40 thread !

hey guy's and gals , im Chris and i finaly replaced my old rs2 racer back on april and i love my r40. the biggest hurdle was the cyntax clutch but now that im familiar with it i'll never go back! post your picks, i will as soon as i clean the oil and tire foam from the car. And lets raise some h*ll with the rs4 3 guys and tell them which is hpi's best 1/10 th touring car!

the-one1 07-07-2004 04:19 PM

RE: the OFFICIAL R-40 thread !

I thought HPI's best touring car was the mighty DASH. :)
How is it compared to the rs2?
I'd love to get one but until I wear out my rs4 3 and n 4-tec, gf not letting me get another car :(

fastcrash 07-08-2004 05:00 PM

i am not familiar with the dash, and havent seen any at my lhs, i will take a look on hpi's website and check it out. i should be able to post pics of my r-40 tonight, if i can figure out how to do it. i run my car often and by the seat of my pants, so i wanted to clean it up nice for the pics. we all know how messy nitro oil and foam tires can make your car. btw, how do i add the car info and stuff that apears at the bottom of everyone elses posts? Chris

fastcrash 07-22-2004 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
finally here are the pics

ptarp 07-22-2004 04:19 PM

Looks awesome! My friend just purchased an R40(hasn't even recieved it). What does he need to know about the clutch to save him some trouble???

fastcrash 07-22-2004 04:38 PM

study the directions for the clutch assembly very well. if he starts the engine and it just revs, he must loosen the nut on the tention spring. if he has problems, tell him to start a post i'll be happy to help

ptarp 07-22-2004 05:33 PM

Alright, thanks

zimzalahbim 07-22-2004 06:56 PM

i love my R40 now that the front differential is installed the right way. i didn't know onroad could be so fun. i chewed through a set of tires this week.

fastcrash 07-22-2004 08:57 PM

i love using foam tire , the are outstanding, but they wear out fast. im thinking of trying to dial my car in on proline rubber, them swapping out for foam, maybe get some better tire life that way.

ptarp 07-22-2004 09:09 PM

Could someone elaborate on foams a bit...

1. How much "better" are they than a good set of rubber tires?
2. How much faster do they wear?

fastcrash 07-22-2004 09:28 PM

well, after a day of racing at my local track,(3 ten minute qualifiers, and a 15 minute a main )they are shot. just how much better foams are than rubber tires is a mater of opinion. tires are hands down the biggest factor in cassis setup. my advice,buy a set of foams if your lhs carries 'nitro shoes', buy 45 shore fronts and 40 shore rears. try em out form your own opinion. you may not like foam tires, but i do.

ptarp 07-23-2004 10:17 AM

Well, if they only last for 35minutes of run time, then its a no-brainer for me. I dont' race at official events, so it wouldn't be worth the money for me.

R40Victim 07-23-2004 11:05 PM

Anyone had trouble with the upper rear suspension links collapsing? Mine tend to do so during longer mains, 15 minutes or more. I've replaced the ball tips several times. And it's not always an impact that does it. They just eventually push together, creating a really bad loose condition. I've tried putting a nut on either side, and then they get yanked out the other way. I've contacted HPI, and am waiting for a response. Anyone else have the same issue?

I'm looking into a beefier part to replace the stock turnbuckles. Once I find a viable alternative, I'll post my results.

fastcrash 07-23-2004 11:27 PM

thsts strange, ive taken a couple of nice tumbles, broke only the rear body post holder. hope you get it worked out

zimzalahbim 07-24-2004 10:59 AM

this forum won't die an easy death

R40Victim 07-24-2004 03:52 PM

Well, even though I hate to add weight, I've shimmed it with washers. They fit pretty nicely, and after some testing, it seems to be holding up well.

fastcrash 07-25-2004 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: dirtbug

the reason this post isnt as popular as most is because the car isnt as popular as most. mainly because the car is offered in kit form only, unlike the rs4's and tc3's rtr versions. and for that same reason there arent as many posts because generaly the owners of the r40 are more experienced and knowlegable than the owners of rtr's.

HPIRS4-3SS 07-25-2004 08:31 PM

and because RS4 3's are better!!!!!! :) just playing :)

R40Victim 07-26-2004 10:03 AM

Got it. I used a nut on the regular threaded side, and a spacer on the other. Raced a couple days without it comming apart. I love this thing!

7speed 07-26-2004 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: fastcrash

the reason this post isnt as popular as most is because the car isnt as popular as most. mainly because the car is offered in kit form only, unlike the rs4's and tc3's rtr versions. and for that same reason there arent as many posts because generaly the owners of the r40 are more experienced and knowlegable than the owners of rtr's.

I sold my RTR to get the R40 actually. I thought that I would learn even more than I know already simply by building one. And I have learned a ton.

infernoMP 07-26-2004 02:14 PM

I just received my R40 and it looks sweet just sitting in the box. I will keep you all posted on it and let you know how it works out for a first timer to onroad nitro..

R40Victim 07-26-2004 03:49 PM

Just in case you guys are interested. Visit HPI.com, and look up the R40. There's a set-up sheet that show's what Atsushi Hara used to win... Though it doesn't work quite as well at my track, it did help me learn about the suspension settings on the car. Also, the XXX losi tuning guide is a great reference point, filled with useful info.

fastcrash 07-26-2004 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: infernoMP

I just received my R40 and it looks sweet just sitting in the box. I will keep you all posted on it and let you know how it works out for a first timer to onroad nitro..
good luck with your build. it should go easy till you get to the clutch, take your time there. even if you assemble it perfectly,you will still need to adjust the "grab point". when you read this post, let us know what gear you got for the car(radio,engine,pipe,etc..)if you have any questions during the build,just send a pm i usualy hop online every night, r40victom also seems 2 know his $h!t.

zimzalahbim 07-27-2004 06:42 AM

what weight shock oil are you guys using? i think my R40 came with 70 weight. i put 35 on the front, and 40 in the back, with kyosho soft springs in the front, medium in the rear. i know this probably goes against the grain of traditional stiff suspension for road cars, but the original suspension didn't work very well.

7speed 07-27-2004 11:04 AM

My build went pretty simple. I'm waiting on the motor to come in to finish the car. Everything is done except for that. I did have a bit of trouble mounting the servo for the steering though. I bought a smaller, metal geared, higher torque one, and its harder to get to fit. Anyway, if anyone is in the build process right now. I want to say this......Get a good controller set up. My buddy has the 40, and has a ****ty 2FM Futaba controller with a standard reciever(had to cut the get it to fit). I went with the 3CM....that thing is awsome.

fastcrash 07-27-2004 06:46 PM

what weight shock oil are you guys using? i think my R40 came with 70 weight. i put 35 on the front, and 40 in the back, with kyosho soft springs in the front, medium in the rear. i know this probably goes against the grain of traditional stiff suspension for road cars, but the original suspension didn't work very well.
my first bit of advice is , since you purchased one of the most tunable rc touring cars made, learn how to tune it with the"xxx main cassis setup guide". the book preaches 'weight transfer'. the gist of it is, the softer the spring the more wieght the car can transfer. vice versa, the stiffer the spring,the less weight the car can transfer.so if you chose to use soft springs the more the car will tilt rearward during acceleration, front under braking, and side to side while cornering.
shock oil selection has less of an effect on the handling than tires and springs, which in my mind are tied for #1.that said, the purpose for shock oil is to combat the springs tendancy to bounce. your oil selection should tend to mirror the spring selection. a soft spring has less energy to be acted upon by the oil,therefore a lighter oil is best. a stiffer spring displaces more force and so a thicker oil is needed to confront the bounce tendancies.
lastly,keep in mind the thicker the oil, the longer it takes for the car to transfer weight, which means the car will take longer to turn, so you can go to far with it.
so now you can see that for us to tell you what oil we run would do you absolutely no good. you must tune and find what works for you , and for where you drive your car.
with all that said, i using stock front springs, hpi pink soft springs in the rear, 45 and 30 weight oil respectively. -chris

infernoMP 07-27-2004 09:16 PM

Well I'm almost to the point to install the engine....which I'm waiting on. It will be here thursday. It's a Fantom FR12 engine and I"m going to run the dynamite rear exhaust header and pipe. It looked about as good as all the others and had a good price on it so that's what I got. As far as gearing goes I've got the stock gears on there. I think one's like a 48 and one's a 43....correct me if I'm wrong. When you say you'll have to adjust the "grab" what do you mean. The RPM's at which the clutch engages fully and minimally or what? I'm really not looking forward to the clutch from all I'm hearing about it. It sounds like it could be a major headache:S

infernoMP 07-27-2004 09:28 PM

48/16 and 45/19 are the gears currently on my car.....which is stock. Is that a good all around starting point or does that give more accel or top speed?

zimzalahbim 07-28-2004 07:10 AM

yeah, thanks for the info. i am pretty familiar with the different characteristics of suspension setups, i was mainly wondering what you guys were using. i noticed you and i are using pretty much the same set up

SqueedilySpooch 07-28-2004 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i just completed my R40 and going to test it next week when the rain dies down. its awsome jus looking at it right now. hope it is worth racing against these guys at the track with mugens and every expensive thing u can have for ur r/c.... well i got a few pics right here

frozen 07-28-2004 01:50 PM

I like the orange :) gl racing

SqueedilySpooch 07-28-2004 01:55 PM

thanks
lol dosen't match the purp and black but i like it that way

infernoMP 07-28-2004 04:33 PM

You must've gotten your R-40 about the same time as I got mine. I just got done assembling mine today. Although I'm still waiting on my engine which is scheduled to be here for tomorrow. Have you ran it at all since getting assembly complete? I've heard the clutch is a major headache (or atleast it can be)....I was also wondering if you have a long black strap that came with your car....it's some kind of strap looking thing....about 3/4 in wide and 6 inches long....it comes in the same bag as the decals and the clutch bell gears. Keep in touch and if you figure something out with yours tell me and I'll do the same as well.

fastcrash 07-28-2004 06:06 PM

that motor looks sick! im sure that car will rip! : )

SqueedilySpooch 07-28-2004 06:30 PM

well i not really sure about any strap do u have a digital camera u can use to upload any pics of it??

and i have not yet been able to run beacause the HUGE amounts of rain we are getting plus i am stilll waiting on a reciever battery charger

SqueedilySpooch 07-28-2004 06:36 PM

also if any of u guys have r-40's show some pics i'd like to see them and i am sure other people would to

fastcrash 07-28-2004 07:23 PM

btw, do not buy the proline nissan 350z body, its too narrow around the pipe, and the wheelbase is to short also : (

SqueedilySpooch 07-28-2004 08:16 PM

i'm guessing that u bought one huh i still need a body but can't decide i don't really like the stratus and similar ones to it so any one have suggestions for one

fastcrash 07-28-2004 09:00 PM

nissan skylines are sweet

infernoMP 07-28-2004 09:46 PM

I got the trans am body coming:) .....Did yours not have a black plastic looking thing that came in the same bag as the clutch bell gears and decals?