RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/)
-   -   1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/7946915-1-10-rc-formula-1-cars-lets-seeem.html)

traxxaspede 09-21-2008 12:07 PM

RE: 1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

thanks i was just there yesterday, but will be there next saturday also. any idea how much they are there?

mxrich 09-21-2008 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: MLP F1

Sure SOLO www.mlpmotorsports.net

Well They ran the builders cup today down in the deep south and all I can tell you is They now know we didn't come to play! and they know we were there!
Hey gang! That is my MLP car in the pics with the banner. First, That is the V103. If you want the best this is it. That car was the fastest thing at the F1 cup race. It took the top spot in the heats and was pulling away every lap. It is the more budget priced car and I love it! One hundred percent traction everywhere on the track. I think it could out turn a slot car.

Now, before you ask no we did not win. It is a team race and as I entered the track for the main for some strange reason my radio would not turn on at all so there went the team points and any chance of victory. We found out later it had blown an internal fuse. The other driver though took off like a land missle and had just taken the lead to prove the cars worth. One lap later he was swiped by one of the Cross cars (not intentional) and put into the wall. After digging him out he took off again and drove like he was possesed. Until a Tamiya T-boned him in a tight turn. Even with handling problems he still threw down some fast laps to the end. A very good showing for a new car. Check it out... the heck with that, buy one!

The results

1st Team Alpha

2nd Team Cross

3rd Team Tamiya

4th Team MLP

5th 6th and 7th was kind of strange. The hyperdrive team ( defending champions) could not attend since the team Captain has been undergoing treatment for a back injury.

Team CRC was headed for the track when they had a breakdown and had to be towed back home. These guys were very serious about racing for the cup.

Team Associated had to bow out because one of the drivers, a good friend of ours. Had surgery on his wrist and had not healed enough to even hold his radio yet. All of them called to apoligize for missing the race but we understand . I have no doubt they will be at the 2009 event. These guys are F1 fans all the way.

Congradulations to Team Alpha! They drove a very smooth and calculated race and it paid off for them as the 2008 F1 Builders Cup Champions with Andy Wallace- team Captain, Skip Starkey-driver, Serdar Atymiz- driver. Good job

solo13 09-21-2008 09:29 PM

Nice[8D],glad to see a affordable car make a good showing. working on getting one in my fleet

MLP F1 09-21-2008 10:21 PM

Yes Congradulations to Team Alpha, But Next Year I Will Be There! And we will be taking that Builders Cup Trophy home with us!

http://home.comcast.net/~martylee38/i/PIC_0035.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/mlpmotorsports/...0/V103logo.jpg

Ttam Says Blarg 09-22-2008 01:23 AM

Wow sweet cars! This probably will be my first on road car if I ever get one.

Vyger 09-22-2008 11:17 AM

Damn! That sounds like it was a good race. Does anyone have any pics of the event?

mxrich 09-22-2008 12:14 PM

Now, before you ask no we did not win. (MLP) It is a team race and as I entered the track for the main for some strange reason my radio would not turn on at all so there went the team points and any chance of victory. We found out later it had blown an internal fuse. The other driver though took off like a land missle and had just taken the lead to prove the cars worth. One lap later he was swiped by one of the Cross cars (not intentional) and put into the wall. After digging him out he took off again and drove like he was possesed. Until a Tamiya T-boned him in a tight turn. Even with handling problems after he was hit he still threw down some fast laps to the end. A very good showing for a new car. Check it out... the heck with that, buy one! The new V103 is a racing car and then some. I really think it would turn inside a slotcar

The results

1st Team Alpha

2nd Team Cross

3rd Team Tamiya

4th Team MLP

5th 6th and 7th was kind of strange. The hyperdrive team ( defending champions) could not attend since the team Captain has been undergoing treatment for a back injury.

Team CRC was headed for the track when they had a breakdown and had to be towed back home. These guys were very serious about racing for the cup.

Team Associated had to bow out because one of the drivers, a good friend of ours. Had surgery on his wrist and had not healed enough to even hold his radio yet. All of them called to apoligize for missing the race but we understand . I have no doubt they will be at the 2009 event. These guys are F1 fans all the way.

Congradulations to Team Alpha! They drove a very smooth and calculated race and it paid off for them as the 2008 F1 Builders Cup Champions with Andy Wallace- team Captain, Skip Starkey-driver, Serdar Atymiz- driver. Good job

Marty! If the Viper and the Venom are truly better than the V103 then think of what doc said..."when you set them on the track there will probably be a bunch of piddle spots on the drivers stand when they see it".

HannSumm 09-23-2008 07:22 AM

HI I'm looking to maybe buy a F103 chassis second hand (F1 type) and want to convert it so i can run Le Mans type Gt bodies like the Advan Courage and old Porsche GT1. Is it simple to take the formula 1 car (F103) and convert it to run the le mans body instead of the formula body and can anyone let me know the parts I'd need to buy to convert and if the parts are readily available..

Thanks!

HannSumm 09-23-2008 07:24 AM

I also see the the front suspension arms are different between the F103 F1 style car and the F103 GT type car will this cause any problems and is there a benefit to either system over the other?

MLP F1 09-23-2008 09:47 AM

I think all you need is the F103GT Front bumper and foam.

The F103GT is for touring cars and touring car type bodies.

it can be made to fit with a little custom work I think.

I would stay with the F103 sec, hand or a New F103RM.

And the F103GT was for the Advan Courage body and rubber or foan touring car wheels and tires.

And the F103 Porsche GT 1 was for the F103 with F1 Rubber or Foam tires.

HannSumm 09-23-2008 12:39 PM

Okay thanks a lot i understand about the tires now... I assume the F103GT type tires may be easier to buy since it takes normal touring car tires and would be faster in straight line than the wider foams (since it's slimmer).

- For general flat road running high top end running (I want to drop BL motor in and just keep for open area high speed driving) is foam or rubber tires better? Can a F103GT also run the wide style foam tires and do i only need to buy the extra rims and tires (is there anything else I'd need)?

TQ

solo13 09-23-2008 10:37 PM

Hello MLP, there will be a f-1 class at trackside. coming in mid Oct, on saturdays:D:D:D

MeanMustang 09-24-2008 03:19 AM

ORIGINAL: HannSumm

HI I'm looking to maybe buy a F103 chassis second hand (F1 type) and want to convert it so i can run Le Mans type Gt bodies like the Advan Courage and old Porsche GT1. Is it simple to take the formula 1 car (F103) and convert it to run the le mans body instead of the formula body and can anyone let me know the parts I'd need to buy to convert and if the parts are readily available..
Tamiya makes the F103GT with a Finished Advan Courage LC70 body. It could end up costing you more to buy a brand new LC70 (finished) body, a second hand F103 F1 chassis and parts to convert it unless you already have the body. See link. [link]http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58376advan_lc70/index.htm[/link]

HannSumm 09-25-2008 02:58 AM

ORIGINAL: MeanMustang

Tamiya makes the F103GT with a Finished Advan Courage LC70 body. It could end up costing you more to buy a brand new LC70 (finished) body, a second hand F103 F1 chassis and parts to convert it unless you already have the body. See link. [link]http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58376advan_lc70/index.htm[/link]

Hi Thanks for the input i was thinking that also.... I really like this 1/10 200mm pan car body by proline as seen at-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140269331814

- Do you know if that body (200mm pan car) would fit the F103 or would it be too wide to even consider?

- Are the smaller rubber tires on the F103GT easy to convert to the wider foams like on a F103RM and what is needed to convert from touring car rubber to wider foams? is the overall width of the car with the foams and rubbers the same (i.e the rubbers just sit further out on the axle)???

- Would this chassis be good for superspeed runs in a wide open flat area's (I've seen some TC4's doing 100+MPH) so i wanted to do a sort of speed project with 3.5T brushless in an F103? your thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

MLP F1 09-25-2008 04:07 AM

Ok The F103GT is a 190mm wide platform set on touring car wheels and tires.

The F103RM or F103 is a 200mm Wide Platform set on foam F103 tires and Rubber F103 slick.

So you keep going after the speed run of it all. so if you are going to run in a straight line or oval ?

There are way to many things to take into account for a speed run.

I will answer your questions the best I can but everyone will have input and I dought any will match others kinda like the nose on your face everyone has one but there not the same.

That body for the most part will fit but it is a road race body designed to help a car get around a track with downforce injust the right places.

So it is hard to know what it would do at speeds over 100 mph or even 60mp.
now for a speed run you only have so much room for gearing for a speed run one would want to get as close as they could to a 1 to 1 ratio and with a tamiya F103 or GT there is not that much room for gear or if there is even gears made for the tamiya to do this but I am not sure we run F1 cars and pan cars for road racing.

Touring car tire vs F103 tires - Well there are plus and minus to both and you could always run Nitro foams on the F103GT.

we could go into the tires and spend a lot of time on it so a narrow heavy tire like a touring car rubber slick should give you speed and help keep the car on the road. But the foam tire should spin faster less weight.

The body? don't cut out the front or rear wheel cutouts so wind can pass by it but you will not have much steering.

Why would you want to do a speed run with a F103?

Last you might want to post a new thread like Help with a F103 or F103GT Speed run.

I would think the Oval guy's would be the best to ask. or here http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ps-tricks.html

Also most speed runs are done with caped tires and the F103 or GT can not run these but the guy's running oval in Japan (d-Drive series) have caped tires for this.

Also the parts needed to go from F103 to F103gt = Front suspension complete rear axle form one to the other. so if you have a F103 then you need to get the F103gt parts and the same if you have a F103gt then you need parts for a F103gt.

Not sure if this helps or not so lets see what else comes up here over this.

Vyger 09-25-2008 05:50 PM

OK, this is the best I can do to answer the question of “what do I need to make my F103 an F103GT?”

You will need the following:
1. 51242 - B Parts Bumper & Body posts
2. 51244 - F Parts Link Type Front A-arms
3. 51229 – T Parts (x2) Body Posts, Frt Axel Carriers, Wheel Hex’s etc
4. 51227 – R Parts Servo Mount, Plastic Diff Joint
5. Metal Parts Bag (contains: 51232 Rear Wheel Mount L, 51231 Rear Wheel Mount R, 51233 Diff joint, 4305371 Damper Mount, 3485036 Rear Shaft)
6. 4005112 – Chassis
7. 9400389 - Shaft Bag (contains: 50594 axel shafts x2, 980852 stainless shafts x2, 9808053 stainless shafts x2, 9808825 friction damper post, 9805502 F wheel axel x2, 9805525 friction damper pole)
8. 9400393 – Ball Connector Bag (this has the balls for the link type suspension and rear axel spacer)
9. 51088 – Urethane Bumper
10. Gear Bag – Contains: Diff Housing B, Diff Housing A, 70T Spur Gear and plastic bushing not used in the kit

I think this covers the basics that you’d need to work a conversion. Of course you’ll also need tires, wheels and a body.

Hope this helps.

HannSumm 09-27-2008 04:18 AM

Hi thanks for all the info,, it seems like a lot of parts to switch a F103GT to make it 200mm F103 and vise versa... with regards to my speed run it's nothing too serious so prob not worth it's own thread as it's just a very amatuer project to make a nice fast car on the cheap with what i have hence why i thought a pan car would be best (due to weight and efficiency). I'll maybe also keep an eye out for cheap deals on other brand pan cars,,, thanks again and I'll keep u up to date...

With a BL 3.5T in a F103 verses the same BL 3.5T in my TA05ifs does anyone know the speed difference I could expect? What top speed do u think is possible with out going too over the top as I'm not looking to break any records just have some fun and show my mates?

Thanks

carmadmatt 09-27-2008 06:36 AM

With a BL 3.5T in a F103 verses the same BL 3.5T in my TA05ifs does anyone know the speed difference I could expect?
I'd guess there would be a bit of difference, there is quite a difference between my F103 and my TT-01 running the same sport-tuned motor. I'd say speed wise the TT-01 could just about keep up when I'm running 8-cells in it!!

Matt

mxrich 09-27-2008 11:30 AM

OK, all you F1 guys. The 2009 Builders cup will be in early 2009 say around the end of Spring. Here are the classes for the masses that anyone can enter.

F1 6-cell/ LiPo. F1 AllStar rules apply.

F1 4-cell/ no Li-Po at this time. AllStar rules apply.

Touring stock. 17.5 6-cell or Li-Po.

VTA is being considered.

F1 Builders Cup...invitation drivers only.

More to follow for info and sponsors.

Start testing!

alphacat1 09-27-2008 02:57 PM

All right George! When do we start? AW

For_The_Win 09-28-2008 09:58 AM

Hey.. Ummm... Is this simular to the f-1 car's http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNUD7&P=0 Because im thinking about getting this if there are parts still avalible.

mxrich 09-28-2008 06:40 PM

Yes it can be turned back into a racecar. All the parts are available. Just use the ones from the new F103RM or, any of the older F103 stuff will fit it. Check the info here from mlp F1.

mxrich 09-28-2008 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: alphacat1

All right George! When do we start? AW
I'm working on it! I want the perfect location with the perfect track, the perfect food court, and perfect hotties for umbrella girls...even if it's indoors. :D

For_The_Win 09-28-2008 06:44 PM

Also why dose it need two servo's?

mxrich 10-02-2008 07:53 PM

TWO servos??? Actually Tamiya still does the dark ages thing explaining electronics. They still think everyone uses wiper arm speed controls. Just get 1 servo and esc and have at it!