RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/)
-   -   Why Is There kV ratings and T ratings for BL Motors? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/9418704-why-there-kv-ratings-t-ratings-bl-motors.html)

alexchen86 01-15-2010 03:48 PM

Why Is There kV ratings and T ratings for BL Motors?

I am sort of confused and a total noob to the BLworld.

Basics of brushed motors of course are more turns = less top end but more torque essential for rock crawling.

BLmotors have kV ratings and some have T ratings (I assume short for turns).

When a BL motor is says 5600kV as in my Sprint 2 Flux how many turns is that?

Also does the less T in a BL motor also equate the same way with brushed motors?

i.e. less T = more top end and less torque? And more T = more torque and less top end?

Thank You!!

pythonfan 01-15-2010 05:43 PM

RE: Why Is There kV ratings and T ratings for BL Motors?

I'm not so sure on T, but the lower kv in bl means more torque. higher kv more rpm and top end.

A good example would be, 1/8th mt or truggy/buggie would be a 2200kv motor or around there, a 1/10th st truck buggy would be around 4600-5700 and higher, and for 1/12th or mini's 10,000 kv.

I'm sure someone else will chime in for more info, tho from my basic bl knowledge i think i hit that pretty close to the head.

Willystylz 01-15-2010 10:23 PM

plus another thing is that a lower kv motor can generally handle more voltage. If you have a 5700k or higher motor, usually running a 3S lipo or higher is too much for it.

Most companies list the kv ratings of their brushless motors, and some list the # of turns as well. Essentially the # to look at when comparing motors is the kv rating.

Brushless motors generally as a rule have less turns than a comparable brushed motor. But the principle stays the same, lower turns = higher rpm on both.

Hope this helps!:D

alexchen86 01-16-2010 09:07 AM

WillyStylz my man here to save the day...haven't heard from ya in a while bud. Thanks!

Willystylz 01-16-2010 10:45 AM

No prob! Been on a vacation from RCU the last few months:)

Hyper7driver 03-05-2010 10:54 PM

KV rating is describing how many RPM's the motor is going to try and turn per volt at free load. T is the amount of windings the motor has just like the old brushed motors. KV and turns will vary between motor types, manufactures, etc. due to different designs. So a 3300 KV motor will not always be a 17.5 turn or whatever.

OvalRacer99 03-06-2010 12:10 PM

An observationI have made, and I could be wrong, seems to me that most if not all sensored motors are rated by turns and unsensored motors are KV rated.

MonkeyFist 03-06-2010 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: OvalRacer99

An observationI have made, and I could be wrong, seems to me that most if not all sensored motors are rated by turns and unsensored motors are KV rated.

That is usually the case. I have noticed that as well.