Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Is RealFlight 6.0 worth the upgrade purchase?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
39.53%
no
18.60%
undecided
41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Is RealFlight 6.0 worth the upgrade purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:43 PM
t34pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is RealFlight 6.0 worth the upgrade purchase?

If you've owned RealFlight 5.5 and upgraded to 6.0, did you feel there were enough good features to make it worth the upgrade price?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Is RealFlight 6.0 worth the upgrade purchase?

Upgraded myself and the price was right to be honest but I still voted 'no'.

$50 upgrade is easy to justify but I am unimpressed. It's the same old same old.

I've had real flight since about version 3 I think. It is an okay simulator but I have never actually been 'impressed' by it. I'm not saying any other sim is better though because RF is the only one I have.

Things that irritate me:

The upgrade isn't an upgrade - it just installs a new version into another folder and then you have to go through reinstalling all your old flight packs.

It doesn't include that many new or interesting planes. The SBach is cool, there are a few more cool planes.

It does look better, the graphics are better the performance is better but the product isn't. $50 upgrade - sure I'll do that. New for whatever they are selling it for? No thanks.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Oberst
Banned

For me no. I'm tired of them continuing to upgrade. I bought my G4 brand new and bought all the addon packs and upgraded to G4.5. About a month later they came out with the G5. I did not call them for the free upgrade, I don't fly my rc planes in the cockpit.

I wanted a RC flight simulator- not a combat flight sim! I already fly "Rise of Flight" and "FSX" for a simulated flight, I don't care to be in the cockpit of RC aircraft. Looks like Realflight is trying to market more to the young crowd more so than make a more accurate flight sim.

Besides, I like the new Aerofly 5 better. To me also the Hanger 9 FS1 was a flop. IMHO

Pete
Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
shford
My Feedback: (27)

I have had every version of Realflight from the beginning. Looking at what is offered in version 6; it seems mostly changes for helicopters. I have most of the scenery and planes that they are including with the sim and the mega packs. Even as Submikester stated, it is only a $50 upgrade, it just isn't "different" enough to want to make the change. I'll stick with 5.5
Old 12-10-2011, 01:16 AM
brentg269
My Feedback: (2)

The cost of the RF 5 upgrade was $99.00, So the 6 seems to be a fair price if you think the new features are worth it.
I have had Rf since 3.5 and bought full to 4.5 and then upgrade disk to 5..Lot of money for a sim. It seems like every time
I upgrade, The sim's frame rate slows down even more, I am all set on this upgrade. I have been active in the RF community for
a long time and it seems a lot of people are hung up on how the planes look on the ground and close up and RF listens by adding
all the eye candy it can. A sim is a tool to hone skills,or use when weather is not good, and learn the do's and dont's of RC flying
not to see how wonderful the plane looks on the ground. I dont get caught up in this stuff, most of the time when i fly my real
world planes they are 100 to 200 yrds away and even the crappy looking planes i have look good. I just bought Phoenix and I like
the looks and feel of the sim, The physics/editing are not up to the same as RF but I really like the pilots perspective in the photofield
better in Phoenix hope they keep improving their product and open up their sim to user content as well. Realflight is still at the top
of the heap as far as sims go, but I am sitting on a swaying fence with all the new releases like Phoenix and Aerofly.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:32 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question for the RealFlight community:
I've found the stock spec 3D examples in the current RealFlights are not very close to reality. Are there custom "inputs" as provided by the "community" at the central website that more closely mirror reality? On my old version 2 a spec set of inputs really made one of the 3D models perform. I haven't upgraded mainly because my computers can't handle the graphics of RF3,4,5,6, etc. I might buy better next time..... Thankx
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 AM
davidbegg

<xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view><w:zoom></w:zoom><wunctuationkerning></wunctuationkerning><w:validateagainstschemas></w:validateagainstschemas><w:saveifxmlinvalid></w:saveifxmlinvalid><w:ignoremixedcontent></w:ignoremixedcontent><w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext></w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext><w:compatibility><w:breakwrappedtables></w:breakwrappedtables><w:snaptogridincell></w:snaptogridincell><w:wraptextwithpunct></w:wraptextwithpunct><w:useasianbreakrules></w:useasianbreakrules><w:dontgrowautofit></w:dontgrowautofit></w:compatibility><w:browserlevel></w:browserlevel></w:worddocument></xml><xml><w:latentstyles latentstylecount="156" deflockedstate="false"></w:latentstyles></xml><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0cm;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

I am not all that interested in gimmicky features of Real Flight, the reason I updated to version 6 was to get improved flying physics. I believe version 6 is a noticeably improved over version 5.5 in this regard, with the planes acting more like the real thing in flight. I was particularly impressed with the improvements simulating the affect of wind turbulence on the plane. Also in a difficult to describe way, the simulated plane in flight feels more like a real R/C plane. (Possibly the improved flying physics showing up?)

I normally run Real Flight on the computer in my studio, but I recently reloaded version 3.5 onto my now rather elderly laptop to take along to a class of 9 to 11 year olds I was relief teaching for few days, that were studying ‘Flight’. (my elderly laptop will only run Real Flight version 3.5, not enough of anything in it to operate later versions ) The flight characteristics (flying physics) of version 3.5 were very rudimentary compared to the version 5.5, which was the latest version of real Flight I had at the time.

The simulation of model plane flight has improved immensely with the release of each of the new versions, and in my opinion this is reason enough in itself to keep upgrading to the latest version.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i had RF2 a few years ago and then sold it after about 6 months. im thinking about getting RF 6. will i notice a big difference from RF 2 ?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 AM
davidbegg

Comparing Realflight version G2 to Realflight version 6 would be like comapring a Model T to a Mustang.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

wow. that much huh ? a box under the tree looks like it could be the right size. but i just never know about Mrs Clause.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM
davidbegg

<xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0cm;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

Yes I think things have just steadily progressed in the R/C simulator world. Where there may be only seemingly minor advances version to version, if you go back a few versions as I did with some kids at school recently, it really is quite a shock at the advances made and what we accept as the normal now. ( I am talking flight physics here not all the fancy stuff they put into the programs)

Cheers

David

‘I normally run Real Flight on the computer in my studio, but I recently reloaded version 3.5 onto my now rather elderly laptop to take along to a class of 9 to 11 year olds I was relief teaching for few days, that were studying ‘Flight’. (my elderly laptop will only run Real Flight version 3.5, not enough of anything in it to operate later versions ) The flight characteristics (flying physics) of version 3.5 were very rudimentary compared to the version 5.5, which was the latest version of real Flight I had at the time. ‘
[/i]
[/i]
[/i]

Old 12-22-2011, 01:54 AM
brentg269

ORIGINAL: davidbegg

<xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view><w:zoom></w:zoom><wunctuationkerning></wunctuationkerning><w:validateagainstschemas></w:validateagainstschemas><w:saveifxmlinvalid></w:saveifxmlinvalid><w:ignoremixedcontent></w:ignoremixedcontent><w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext></w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext><w:compatibility><w:breakwrappedtables></w:breakwrappedtables><w:snaptogridincell></w:snaptogridincell><w:wraptextwithpunct></w:wraptextwithpunct><w:useasianbreakrules></w:useasianbreakrules><w:dontgrowautofit></w:dontgrowautofit></w:compatibility><w:browserlevel></w:browserlevel></w:worddocument></xml><xml><w:latentstyles deflockedstate="false" latentstylecount="156"></w:latentstyles></xml><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0cm;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

I am not all that interested in gimmicky features of Real Flight, the reason I updated to version 6 was to get improved flying physics. I believe version 6 is a noticeably improved over version 5.5 in this regard, with the planes acting more like the real thing in flight. I was particularly impressed with the improvements simulating the affect of wind turbulence on the plane. Also in a difficult to describe way, the simulated plane in flight feels more like a real R/C plane. (Possibly the improved flying physics showing up?)

I normally run Real Flight on the computer in my studio, but I recently reloaded version 3.5 onto my now rather elderly laptop to take along to a class of 9 to 11 year olds I was relief teaching for few days, that were studying ‘Flight’. (my elderly laptop will only run Real Flight version 3.5, not enough of anything in it to operate later versions ) The flight characteristics (flying physics) of version 3.5 were very rudimentary compared to the version 5.5, which was the latest version of real Flight I had at the time.

The simulation of model plane flight has improved immensely with the release of each of the new versions, and in my opinion this is reason enough in itself to keep upgrading to the latest version.

I have read quite a few reviews since my last post of people that have upgraded to 6 and I agree that is seems that RF has stepped it up on the physics with how the planes react with the new air dynamics and prop wash effects they have revamped. So much so that much of the user content from the previous versions have to be re-trimmed with moving the Cog and possible airfoil changes on wing and tail feathers. I just kinda got let down with the arcade path it was taking with pilot cameras, bombs, missles combat, etc. Ther are War combat sims that I think would fill that void, but companies go with what the people want. So it seems it has something for everybody, Arcade action of CFS and good old RC plane simulation that looks like its going in a positive direction.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:13 AM
brentg269

ORIGINAL: SigMan

i had RF2 a few years ago and then sold it after about 6 months. im thinking about getting RF 6. will i notice a big difference from RF 2 ?

wow. that much huh ? a box under the tree looks like it could be the right size. but i just never know about Mrs Clause.
If your computer is only a few years old and has a decent cpu ,video, mem. setup you should be ok with RF6, check the requirements for min and max settings, and like the other poster said vast inprovements have been made in all areas since RF2. Gotta love those Mrs Clauses mine got me Aerofly 5.7, I just bumped up my video card and memory today in preparation, I know that sim needs a powerhouse system to run even average.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 AM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a comment and a question regarding the RF6 upgrade.

First the comment; I didn't have to go through the gyrations that I read about in previous posts to install my Expansion Packs (I have all of them). They all auto-started and a pop-up window asked me if I wanted to install them onto RF5 or RF6 (because I already have RF5.5 installed on my machine). I never had to pop the original RF6 disk back into the machine, so I presume they fixed that little annoyance.

For the question; they apparently have included the Add-On disks with the install. That's nice, because I really enjoyed flying the PT-19 from Add-on Disk #2. Unfortunately, I could not turn the smoke off from any switches on the tx. I think there was a keyboard combination that would do that, but I can't recall that. Can anyone help with that? I just prefer not to fly with smoke.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I've got a comment and a question regarding the RF6 upgrade.

First the comment; I didn't have to go through the gyrations that I read about in previous posts to install my Expansion Packs (I have all of them). They all auto-started and a pop-up window asked me if I wanted to install them onto RF5 or RF6 (because I already have RF5.5 installed on my machine). I never had to pop the original RF6 disk back into the machine, so I presume they fixed that little annoyance.
Installing them was the same for me, no problems at all. Same deal, insert disc, check which RF5 or RF6, and done. Nothing else.

For the question; they apparently have included the Add-On disks with the install. That's nice, because I really enjoyed flying the PT-19 from Add-on Disk #2. Unfortunately, I could not turn the smoke off from any switches on the tx. I think there was a keyboard combination that would do that, but I can't recall that. Can anyone help with that? I just prefer not to fly with smoke.

Thanks,

Bob

lol................

Same deal for me. Some of the older planes smoked like they were on fire. Guess they'd been converted to electric and the LiPos were popping. JK

Anyway....... I went into the edit for each plane I've encountered and lowered a couple of the smoke parameters to almost nothing. You'd think they would have noticed that. Of course, it's human nature not to test everything. BTW, I think it's simulating the exhaust and that's why the smoke on/off key has no effect.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:17 PM
N1EDM

I suppose that could be, about the smoke that is. Still, it's odd. I hadn't thought about turning down the smoke. I'll check about editing that out. I still seem to remember some kind of key combo, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the idea.

Bob
Old 12-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Luis law breaker

i just pick up rf6 and the sales person said i could run it on my mac but doesn't do anything can anyone help thanks luis
Old 01-21-2012, 04:30 PM
N1EDM

Hey da Rock,

Where did you find the Smoke on the Edit menu, to turn it off? I am looking in Edit Aircraft and can't find any reference to it. Do you recall where you found how to turn the exhaust smoke down? Thanks. That smoke is really getting to be annoying.

Bob