Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Is Real Flight 6.5 a good option to train to fly a 2 meter glider?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Is Real Flight 6.5 a good option to train to fly a 2 meter glider?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
srinm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Real Flight 6.5 a good option to train to fly a 2 meter glider?

Before buying Real Flight 6.5, I would really appreciate some comments about it's suitablility to use to train to fly a simple 2 meter polyhedral glider, non-powered, for quick start and hi start launch.

I see from the Tower web site that the Greast Planes Fling 2 meter plane is part of the basic Real Flight purchase, so I assume that would be a good choice to train on, giving experience that could be useful for flying the Sophisticated Lady, Gentle Lady, etc.

Also, I have been told that Real Flight does have a hi-start and winch launch function.

Any advice as to whether this would be a good way to practice before trying to fly? How close to actual experience woud this simulator be?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:46 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is Real Flight 6.5 a good option to train to fly a 2 meter glider?

Edited out all the erroneous stuff..........

Look down at post #7

Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 AM
srinm

Thanks da Rock, thats really helpful. Someone had told me that there is h-start and winch launch in Real Flight...

Are you sure there's neither, or are you just saying they are not realistic enough to be of real benefit?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 PM
srinm

I saw some videos of histart launch of a glicer on real flight 6;5....would that have been a third party add-on?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: srinm

Thanks da Rock, thats really helpful. Someone had told me that there is h-start and winch launch in Real Flight...

Are you sure there's neither, or are you just saying they are not realistic enough to be of real benefit?

edited out the erroneous stuff............

I was wrong. Look at post #7
Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 AM
da Rock

I saw some videos of histart launch of a glicer on real flight 6;5....would that have been a third party add-on?
Where did you see them? Got any idea how to find them on the internet?
Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 PM
SpeedsterDEN

In the G5,5 there is highstart.
Just pick the mistral glider and fly the termal park.

Also think that there is in the 6,5

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1hLhaenG_E[/youtube]

Cheers
S
Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: SpeedsterDEN

In the G5,5 there is highstart.
Just pick the mistral glider and fly the termal park.

Also think that there is in the 6,5

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1hLhaenG_E[/youtube]

Cheers
S

HOLY MACKEREL, THERE IS A HIGHSTART.

Sorry, but I missed all the advertising about it. (It was advertised, right?)

I've just spent about an hour at Thermal Park flying all the gliders. Thermal Park is definitely in 6.5 complete with a bunch of floating arrows in one section of the sky.

I must admit that not only have I missed noticing the park, but I also miss the value of what is there. Also, if I were to rate the realism of the highstart and it's value for learning to use one in the real world, I would have to give that stuff a failing grade. It is fairly easy to get an almost vertical launch with a winch and hightstart in the real world. And fairly easy to learn what trim is needed for each of your own models to give max launch height. But hey, I'm the guy who didn't even know it was there. I need to mess around in there awhile. I could be missing something more.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
SpeedsterDEN

More advance glider training in the realflight

DS

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3h-tOec_7U[/youtube]

Sloping

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JScjrWllI0s[/youtube]

Good luck
S
Old 03-09-2013, 02:49 PM
da Rock

Way on back when Real Flight offered their first gliders and expanded the 'weather' functionality, a few of us tested the thermal features. Of course, we simply chose RF flying sites that had lots of room. Getting the gliders to altitude was a problem. Then the spawn trick showed up.

Learning to thermal hinges on learning to interpret your glider's reactions. And the reactions show up in clear air. No arrows up there where your glider is.

Learning to highstart is more complex. An important part is how you move the sticks, but there are way more parts to learn. I gotta say the RF Themal Park is very far from having more than one part. I screwed up bigtime about RF6.5 having a simulation of something. But after experiencing what they have, I gotta say it is definitely not a good option for learning to fly a glider.

Good thing about forums, is when somebody sticks their foot in their mouth, you can count on someone coming along and helping you get the other foot in too.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:10 PM
srinm

That's discouraging....if Real Flight 6.5 has histart launch and gliders, but its not at all a good simulation of launching and flying the gentle lady, then I need to have another strategy for training.

Any other opinions....agree with da Rock or disagree and recommend RF6.5 for traiining?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 AM
da Rock

The best strategy for training with any RC flying is to find a club and go visit.

With gliders, that isn't as easy as it is for power or choppers. Check at the closest hobby shop etc.

Just finding a good site can be daunting too. For hi-start you need a clear, flat area much larger than your hi-start.

So.... back to your original question.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 AM
da Rock

After fooling around in RF6.5 for awhile now, I can at least point out what's in there. Some of it could be useful for a beginner.

If you navigate around in there you'll find the Select Scenario function. (move cursor to left side of screen, it's the top selection)

Looking down the list shows a couple of scenarios that sound like they were designed for gliders. The two Thermal Hunting ones sound the best, right. One is good. The other is applicable to nothing I know of.

The Thermal Hunting - Bungee scenario puts you on a field with somewhat transparent arrows floating around in the sky. The Bird of Time is hooked to a fully stretched 'bungee'. Aim with the mouse and click and away goes the BoT. Any of the gliders in the sim can be selected to use there. Soarers like the BoT more closely simulate what happens on a bungee. Play with the weather.

There is a TRAINING button at the top of the window. Unfortunately, that menu has nothing on it for gliders. The list of scenarios is about it.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM
da Rock

The Bird of Time does fly in RF like most polyhedral thermal models fly in the real world. It's worth spending some time flying in RF. It will certainly help you to learn how to work Real Flight's weather. And everyone who owns RF should definitely mess around with RF's weather, it is a bad mistake not to if you want your stick time to help you in the real world. Flying in dead calm is ok for beginners to begin with, of course. And it's great for the micro's and tiny foamies. But you need variable conditions to prepare you for the real world. Good thing is that RF does simulate weather.

The slope gliders are decent fun on the slopes offered in RF.

Would any beginner to modeling benefit from any of the sims? Yes. Would the benefit equal the cost? Depends on the sim and your financial situation.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:07 AM
srinm

In the various rc forums there are lots of people offering opinions, advice, and so often they just like to give input without adding value. I really get frustrated sometimes.

But you daRock, are just plain helpful, and kind to offer really good advice. Now I know what to do...I'll buy Real Flight and master the sailplanes, histart, and bungee in the two thermal fields before I start flying. I'll find an experienced glider pilot to help me get started in the field.

I already have found a good field to fly at.

Thanks da Rock! You were a big help to me!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
da Rock

No problem.

Thanks for the thanks....

I envy your having found a field. The world around me now is trees and more trees. When they're not forests, they're somewhat evenly distributed to get in the way. Hope your field does offer enough space to use a regular size hi-start. The best ones have 2.5 times the hi-start length in all directions. Second best ones have that length in the direction of the prevailing winds. If there is any way the chute can bring the line down across something troublesome, it will. If there are two obstacles to choose from, the taller one will be where the chute goes more often than not.

If you're anywhere near slopes, you're also a very lucky modeler.

Have fun.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM
SpeedsterDEN

Its not just training to flythe 2 meter glider, its the training to fly a RC plane that matter..
When you can do that you can also fly the glider.
So training is the thing, and you never get finish...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YVb1AbwMZA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZifJ-sQcgu8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic2ocOZywO0[/youtube]

Regards
S
Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 AM
srinm

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Way on back when Real Flight offered their first gliders and expanded the 'weather' functionality, a few of us tested the thermal features. Of course, we simply chose RF flying sites that had lots of room. Getting the gliders to altitude was a problem. Then the spawn trick showed up.

Learning to thermal hinges on learning to interpret your glider's reactions. And the reactions show up in clear air. No arrows up there where your glider is.

Learning to highstart is more complex. An important part is how you move the sticks, but there are way more parts to learn. I gotta say the RF Themal Park is very far from having more than one part. I screwed up bigtime about RF6.5 having a simulation of something. But after experiencing what they have, I gotta say it is definitely not a good option for learning to fly a glider.

Good thing about forums, is when somebody sticks their foot in their mouth, you can count on someone coming along and helping you get the other foot in too.
What is the spawn trick? Is it a way to get altitude in real flight for a non-powered glider?

Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 PM
da Rock

What is the spawn trick? Is it a way to get altitude in real flight for a non-powered glider?

I've only read about it, never actually set it up. After reading the description of what it does, I had no interesting in it. I think they made some choices for spawning your new model when you RESET that spawned it at altitude. I believe that's what it did.