Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Can an RF7.5 sim be upgraqded to RF 9 status ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Can an RF7.5 sim be upgraqded to RF 9 status ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 04:41 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Can an RF7.5 sim be upgraqded to RF 9 status ??

I have read that an Real Flight 8 sim can be upgraded to Real Flight 9 status. Is it also possible to upgrade an RF 7.5 to RF 9 status ??
Old 04-10-2020, 07:17 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karolh
I have read that an Real Flight 8 sim can be upgraded to Real Flight 9 status. Is it also possible to upgrade an RF 7.5 to RF 9 status ??
The "upgrade" would consist of buying RF9. Software only is $99. Software wioth the new Interlink DX controller (which imho is the best feature and reason to upgrade) is $179. If you have a previous interlink from RF 7.5 it should work with RF9.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:18 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

If you buy the RF 8 or 9 software from a retailer, or download via Steam! Not really an "upgrade". It is a new install of the software. But you can use all your old custom planes, airports, etc. in the new version. You would end up with both versions installed on your computer, if you didn't elect to uninstall the older one.
Other than buying, RF has never offered a free/cheap "upgrade" option when going up a full version. At most a slight discount for those that bought shortly before the latest and greatest was made available, and then only for a limited time. They do offer free updates within a version - RF 7 to 7.5, etc.

RF 8 and 9 will work with several older "Interlink" controllers, but the newest one available is superior. Check their web site for compatibility information. RF 8 and 9 will also work with anything that can be seen as a joystick in Windows - joysticks, TX's that have that capability to connect as a joystick via USB, various "dongles" that give wireless connections, etc. Depending on the specifics, some features may or may not work, and may be confusing to setup, but at minimum the basic controls will work.

Don't buy RF X - abandoned product.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:26 AM
karolh

Thanks for all your replies so far. My first sim was a RF G2 which serves me well for quite a few years until it gave up the ghost and then I got a RF 7.5 version which was just light years ahead of the G2. One thing that I am very curious about is how much more advanced is the new RF9 over my current RF7.5, and to a simple weekend flier like me is the difference between the two really worth the added expense ??
Old 04-11-2020, 06:37 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for all your replies so far. My first sim was a RF G2 which serves me well for quite a few years until it gave up the ghost and then I got a RF 7.5 version which was just light years ahead of the G2. One thing that I am very curious about is how much more advanced is the new RF9 over my current RF7.5, and to a simple weekend flier like me is the difference between the two really worth the added expense ??
It's not a big leap from 7.5. More airports, more aircraft, additional "challenges". Since Horizon bought the distribution, it does have many of their planes, and allows the incorporation of SAFE, if one wants to use it. Many of the planes designed for RF9 on their swap pages work just fine in RF7.5 (as long as they don't need SAFE or use a native RF 8 or 9 only plane as a base). I don't have, but many seem to rave over the newest Interlink. Multiplayer has been combined, so 7.5 can fly with users that have 8 or 9. Interesting is that a lot of the training features for both beginners and advanced pilots (lessons, videos) have been deeply buried. Still there, and still the same, just hard to navigate to. As noted above, does not require an Interlink, as long as whatever one uses can be seen by Windows as a Game Controller. Does support using Virtual Reality headsets (if you have a pretty high end computer). They found a way for those using modern 3D modeling software to make new planes - but it still a process. For normal use, no change in the graphics quality, and only minor tweaks to the physics of how things fly.
RF-X was a huge jump in graphics, but it didn't have a lot of the functions that regular RF 7-8-9 had, and required a high end machine. Sales were disappointing, apparently, and they stopped updating it,,,eventually discontinuing it.
Me? I jumped from 7.5 to 8, but am for now staying there. I may not have done even that, but the old Interlink I had died. Not enough new and cool for me to jump yet to 9.
But, for those that want the added Horizon planes, or an Interlink that is very much like their Spektrum radios, then it is worth it.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:16 AM
jcmors

I had RF7.5 and bought RF8 mainly in support of the simulator software as I had also had Phoenix flight sim and I really enjoyed that however the concept of free upgrades to major versions forever apparently wasn't sustainable. I would have been willing to support Phoenix the same way to keep them alive. I upgraded to RF9 mainly to take advantage of the new Interlink DX. In my opinion this is the main feature and reason to upgrade as I don't see much in RF9 in the way of flight characteristics or other improvements from RF7.5 other than having the HH models represented and the ability to have SAFE enabled (I don't really use SAFE so that wasn't a huge draw for me). The main reason for me that the Interlink DX is worth the purchase price is not because it is more like my actual Spektrum radios I am used to flying with though that is a nice bonus. The biggest improvement in that the Interlink DX, in concert with RF9 has 15 usable channels. Other transmitters or controller options have a maximum of 8 channels available even when used with RF9 and the Interlink DX, though it will work with a previous version of the software, only has 15 channels available when using it with RF9 as it required changes in the software to accommodate it that RF8 and below doesn't have.

An unexpected bonus has been the realism of flying with something very close to my actual transmitter in a very realistic simulator during this time of isolation. I can get my flying fix in totally from home if need be.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:37 AM
karolh

I might have just found an easy way out of my situation, as a friend has just purchased an RF9 so I think I'll just wait until it's up and running and see if its a worthwhile upgrade for me.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:07 AM
jcmors

I might have just found an easy way out of my situation, as a friend has just purchased an RF9 so I think I'll just wait until it's up and running and see if its a worthwhile upgrade for me.
That's great! It's always nice to be able to try before you buy. You used to be able to go into a hooby shop and many of them had a live demo of flight sims running you could get a feel for. These days, if you could find a local hobby shop, chances are they won't be open.