Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

False sense of security?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

False sense of security?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 11:15 PM
zorafex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default False sense of security?

I flew a trainer one time for about 10mins, above 5 years ago. I have never flown another R/C plane since or before that. I borrowed a friend's Realflight Lite, and I mastered the trainer in one night. I can fly it without crashing on landing and I can do rolls, and tons of other strange flips and spins that I dont know what they are lol. I can also do all of this with a solid wind speed of 5 with gusts up to 12 mph. I have the the "Smooth - Gusty" setting, set in the middle.

Do you think flightsims could give you false sense of security?
Is the flightsim a lot easier than the "real" thing? I would assume, atleast a little? Because in real life, I'm sure you're more cautious since you have a $500+ plane in the air without a reset button.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:26 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: False sense of security?

The flight sim will get rid of the most common thing for new fliers: throwing the sticks the opposite way you should and hence causing a potential crash. Also tying to get an instructor to meet you at the field all the time gets old. To shorten your time spent with instructors do the sim. I like instructors, they just never seem to be able to fly when I can.

So here's an idea. Get a sim, practice all winter, get an instructor in spring and fly. You could be solo in a month or two depending how natural you are. Took me two months but my instructor was very conservative (and darn good!!!).

Joe
Old 12-05-2003, 03:26 AM
Wolfeman
My Feedback: (6)

I solo'd today for the first time, what a blast! There is no doubt in my mind that sims are worth their weight in gold. I bought the Nextstar trainer from hobbico, it comes with a realflight sim that features the same plane. My plane behaves exactly like it did on the sim. Funny thing though; takeoffs- which seem a no-brainer on the sim, were more challenging for real. Landing was the same. If you havent got a plane yet, I would highly reccomend the Nextstar, it's everything they say it is, Happy flying!!
Old 12-05-2003, 03:33 AM
Wolfeman
My Feedback: (6)

Oh ya, I practiced my sim for about a week, with no prior experience. Had a good instructor by my side, no buddy cord. You can do it.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:46 AM
sputknik

I learned the old fashioned way,wish i had a sim back then to practice.Its all about getting use to your equipment,after 20 hours or so you won't get mixed up in what way you are suppose to turn.Its like playstation or nintendo at first you make the wrong moves but practice makes perfect.Also fly the sim as if you were really in the air,use all your skill to get out of a possible crash.