Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

A final comparison: G3, AFPD and Reflex XTR... my own comparisons and conlcusions.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

A final comparison: G3, AFPD and Reflex XTR... my own comparisons and conlcusions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A final comparison: G3, AFPD and Reflex XTR... my own comparisons and conlcusions.

Wowsers! you ARE good....

Must be a bug in that model... I rarely fly that one and none of the ones I do fly can do THAT...

Old 01-06-2005, 08:05 AM
TManiaci
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: A final comparison: G3, AFPD and Reflex XTR... my own comparisons and conlcusions.

Hey Hornet... where did you get that Katana?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Maudib

It's a stock plane in Reflex XTR... he was pointing out the bug in that model... I've been able to recreate it.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:46 AM
FlyingRhino
My Feedback: (2)

That's not very realistic physics is it?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Maudib

There is a difference between a bug in a model and realistic physics... that's the only bug I've been made aware of... and I've flown XTR extensively.

To try and say that that is exemplary of XTR's physics just isn't going to cut it. Sorry.

I recently recieved my new AFPD (excellent servcie BTW from OMP)... but it too has some bugs... One of the reason I bought it was for the extra features... including the ability to fly together with a friend.

Only to find out that there is a bug that won't let two full version AFPD interfaces work together, even tho the manual says so.

Will it be fixed... you bet... and the Katana in Reflex... of course.

For a better representation of Reflex XTR's realistic physics you can check out the videos at: http://www.renderwurx.com/rc/reflexxtr
Old 01-06-2005, 09:10 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Actually I just got an email from IPACS, the issue is not a "bug" it was just never implemented. He said the next update patch is coming in a few days and will have this new feature added.

You can still use 2 players with any FMS PIC/Simblaster cable or G2 controller right out of the box.

Like I said ... IPACS is listening, very well too. A new patch only 4-5 days after a single request .... lovin' it.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Maudib

Looking forward to it!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Maudib

Oh... and will this patch contain some of the new photoreal sceneries that are forthcoming?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:59 AM
STLPilot

Patches do not include scenes, those come from the free developers or the next version.

I know they are working on some new scenes for AFPD, photoreal ones. When they are going to be released are to be determined. There is a lot of work in making these now, not just some pics slapped together. They have to be all mapped out. You shoud take one on JD, you've got the skillsets.

The program has only been out for 3 weeks remember. AFPD still comes with 12 scenes total. Also IPACS is not focusing on photo scenes moving on, they've done that. Now it's just up to the developers to take it on from there. They are concentrating on better 3D worlds to rival top PC and gaming consoles.

The developers that create the free downloads are also some of the same guys that create the models and scenes for AFP and AFPD.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Maudib

Bummer again...

I was under the impression that IPACS was releasing at least one new scene as a free download. That's what I did like about Reflex XTR is that in their update they included an EXCELLENT indoor scenery fully mapped.

You said that IPACS did away with the "addons" concept and that there were more photosceneries in the works. (and I thought that you even mentioned being privy to beta test one or more of them)

Had I have known this wasn't the case, I would have not bought AFPD at this time, but waited for the "next version" that included an adequate amount of photoreal sceneries...

As I mentioned before I don't care much for the 3D scenes... and Reflex offers several very nice sceneries.

So exactly what makes AFPD "Deluxe" over AFP Pro? Not having Pro before I wouldn't know...

Old 01-06-2005, 10:37 AM
STLPilot

Did you not read what I said?

The same developers that create the scenes and planes for AFP and D create the free downloads. I never said IPACS was working on more scenes. There are more free downloads for AFP and AFPD then any other simulator.

There are more photo scenes coming, I've seen the screenshots. I mean come on .. the sim has been out for 3 weeks. IPACS creates the foundation, the developers take it from there. The model for photo scenes has been created, now you will see them come to life.

Also there are a lot of updates for AFP from AFPD, not just photo scenes. So far EVERY SINGLE person that has owned AFP and now has AFPD has noticed much difference in physics, performance and addons. Did you read a single complaint from previous AFP owners, I mean come on you've read the threads JD, certainly you don't think that I hired all these guys ... do you?

This was not just an upgrade for photo scenes. Had you owned AFP before AFPD you would have seen tremendous difference. However you only use AFP a couple times at Toledo. You've only owned AFPD for 3 days now.

Also have you flown the ShockFlyers? Before these were not even capable to fly correct in original AFP. I've gotten at least 30-40 emails from happy customers that say the upgrade was worth the ShockFlyers alone.

There are only some of the upgrades.

-- Incredible flight performance of our new Physics and Flight code!
--14 sceneries (including an indoor and 3 photo-realistic scenes)
-- 55 models in total; New models include, Shock Flyers, Eco7, 33% Christen Eagle, Trainer, 3D heli, EC-135, MD-900, Airbus 320, Zlin, Learjet, Cap21, Bell UH-1, Schweizer Helicopter, Ventus glider, Zlin50.
-- Glider sound when you do a flyby
-- Improved ground handling.
-- Fog for 3D sceneries.
-- Back light effects in the photo sceneries.
-- New lighting effects like sunlight reflections and shadow mapping.
-- USB Cable for Interface and Game Commander.
-- Slightly changed "easy setup" mode.
-- 6 exclusively music songs exclusively composed for AeroFly.

IPACS marketing strategy is physics first, fluff second. IPACS has delivered photorealistic scenes for all the guys that need to feel like they are outside when they are flying. Yes, there are only 3 in the box, but only for now.

It just really amazes me that you do not enjoy a 3D model coming from a developer. But either way AFPD has both.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Maudib

Well I must have misunderstood... perhaps I misread your posts on this thread and others.

When I asked about IPACS paid add-ons compared to Reflex's FREE upgrades, your reply made me think that they had tried the paid expansion pack thing and decided against it. I misunderstood you and thought that IPACS themselves would be offering new planes and sceneries as time went on. Seems to me that it would only enhance thier product.

You say they focus on physics and not fluff? Well ballon popping, pylon racing, tow hook and such appear like fluff to me... I much prefer there be none of that stuff and more photorealistic scenes like in Reflex XTR.

This is where Reflex really shines in comparison then. The recent patch included not only the indoor scenery but some new models too... these were from the developer (Reflex) not endusers.

And like AFP/AFPD there are alot of users out there developing their own Reflex models/sceneries for free download.

As far as 3D models... I've downloaded several for both sims... and I like them quite well... your OMP files are sweet and so are some of the Reflex XTR planes... especailly the Funtana, Extra and Extra 260.

Still what I don't like is the 3D sceneries that AFPD includes... for instance the indoor gym... it's horrible looking. The "blending" of photorealism you mention is nothing more than photo textures on a low poly count object.

The lighting is bad with everything having equal lighting and the textures very bland. Simply spending time acquiring/creating new textures would have enhanced the scene tremendously

THAT'S why I don't care for them... it's like playing PacMan when I could be playing Doom3 or HalfLife2. It's boring and uninteresting.

Without a doubt I could develop sceneries that I would like, but I didn't buy the program so I could spend hours developing sceneries that were pleasing to me. I bought it to enhance my skills and enjoy the experience while doing so and I simply don't care for the included 3D scenes... I do however like the photoreal sceneries, but to find out that there will be no more coming from IPACS until a paid upgrade is very dissappointing.

The whole photorealistic aspect of AFPD is what made me feel AFPD was closing the gap on Reflex XTR...

But as it stands, I still find Reflex XTR to have more realistic physics, better graphics and the best upgrade policy. It's worth the few extra bucks to know I'll get a lot more photoreal sceneries up front and also that I'll get more at no additional cost as time passes.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:47 AM
STLPilot

but to find out that there will be no more coming from IPACS until a paid upgrade is very dissappointing.
I can assure you that the free downloads that will be available by the same people that develop them for IPACS will not be disappointing. They never have been up to this point at least.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Maudib

I've decided to sell the AFPD... it's now in the marketplace http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=68614
Old 01-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dion,
I just purchased the AFPD from the OMP site. When it comes will there be info on how to download more planes from your site?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 01-06-2005, 12:22 PM
STLPilot

Have no fear Rocketman we have 2 tech support numbers, Ikarus has 1 and this forum.

We answer on this forum 14 hours a day 7 days a week, holidays included. We also have FAQ's in the AFP forum that have step by step instructions on how to install the HUNDREDS of free downloads. Just go in the AFP support forum and view by FAQ's.

Plus we have hundreds of AFP fans that can help you out if some crazy reason that we are not here to help you.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dion,
Thanks,
I have been wanting to upgrade my sim (Original Real Flight) for awhile and was waiting for AFPD and the reviews of it before buying. Maudib's review was excellent and with your comments helped me make a choice for AFPD. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Happy New Year,
Pete
Old 01-06-2005, 02:03 PM
STLPilot

More importantly I'm just hoping that the sim will serve your purpose as it has so many. We've tried to give you all videos, screenshots and the best information before you buy and nothing else.

Looking forward to your feedback when you get it!
Old 01-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Maudib

---
Old 01-06-2005, 07:49 PM
ShortBus

Hey all, thank you for all the info on the differences of these flight sims. I've been out of the R/C Plane flying scene for some time, but want to get back into it, mainly flying electrics since I can do that in my back yard. . After reading through the forums, checking out the other sites, doing some Google searches, I ended up placing an order for AFPD! I also almost ordered an Ultra-RC 3D Buddy, but I think I'll wait and see how I'm doing in AFPD before jumping into 3D! Maybe one of the developers will make a 3D Buddy model for AFPD?! *hint hint*

Thanks again guys (and gals) for your invaluble input on these software programs.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:36 PM
STLPilot

HAHAHA! Yeah ... we'll get a 3D Buddy out there for sure someday!

For now try the Mini Giles! It is now my fav plane for AFP.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:37 AM
infernoMP

Maudib, do you by any chance fly heli's? I've been hearing that G3 simulates heli's very well....but unless it's leaps and bounds better than G2 it still sucks. I too have XTR and love it although I find the heli's need a slight bit of tweaking to fly the way I like them.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:54 AM
tahustvedt

That Katana video look rediculous. Is it set up tp have a 5:1 power ratio or something and insane throws?

I made a video this xmas of me flying around in an Extra 300 in Reflex XTR. It's not crazy 3D flying though. Maybe I'll make a better video this weekend.

Here's the video, right ckick and download:
http://www.enrarot.net/videos/xtr-extra.wmv
Old 01-07-2005, 07:33 AM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

Geez 3 pages and almost no mention of G3?

Is it so bad that it doesn't even compare to Reflex XTR or AFPD??
Old 01-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

G3 has already been mentioned in several posts above, such as Post #68 and Post #71.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.