Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Ikarus or Real Flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Ikarus or Real Flight

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 06:06 PM
GaryB-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ikarus or Real Flight

...so which is the best flight sim for helicopters and 3D airplane maneuvers (torque rolls & harriers) - Real Flight or AFP (Ikarus)?...

...does the Invidia GForce IV video card work good for both of them?...
Old 10-31-2002, 10:55 AM
ThomasK

Hi Gary!

I own both and for my opinion, AFP is far more real in flight-behaviour concerning 3D-manouvers. In general, the flight characteristics at the edges of the flightenvelope are simulated much better.
At higher speeds, both sims feel quite similar. Graphics and sound are much better in G2, but that is not enough to compensate the lack in realism in 3D.
Helicopters work very good in G2 and AFP as well, cant see any substantial differences in behaviour, but have to say that I´m a heli-newbee.

G2 offers better "shortwhile gameplay + entertainment (graphics, sound, multiplayer via internet,...) while AFP offers the better training-possibilities, far superior simulation-model, a better choice of aircraft (it ships with 2 fine TOC-planes, a high quality modern Funflyer, some warbirds, gliders, some helis in different sizes and more).
Very important for me is the possibillity to design own aircraft from scratch for AFP with tools availible as freeware, creating a large pool of aircraft downloadable via Internet. As far as I know, G2 does not offer the possibility to create own aircraft.

Retail prices in Austria:
G2: €210 without any addon, €40 per Addon
AFP: €135

greetings
thomasK
Old 10-31-2002, 06:09 PM
GaryB-RCU

...thanks, Thomas - anybody else like to compare the two?...
Old 11-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ikarus

I have the Ikarus, actually Aerofly Professional, and absolutely love it.

The TOC Giles is sensational, easily worth the price of the simulator alone. The F-16 is unbelievably realistic as well.

I once owned an ECO 8 electric helicopter and the simulation in Aerofly is virtually perfect.

While I don't own G2, I do have the original Real Flight and can honestly say Aerofly is light years ahead of it. I have flown a friend's G2 and thought it was terrific, but the CAP 232 he had in it was custom programmed with custom graphics as well so I can't really say how I would rate the standard airplanes in it.

I'm sure G2 is a great sim. I was thinking about getting it but with Aerofly as good as it is I don't really see the need. The TOC Giles 202 flies so realistically it is everything I need to practice freestyle. The sim also has a fabulous "Extreme 3D" type airplane that is a great practice tool as well. I don't fly a model F-16 but the one in Aerofly flies so much like my turbine HotSpot I find it excellent for keeping up my jet skills.

Good luck with whichever you choose.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:40 PM
GaryB-RCU

...thanks for the recommendations guys! - my favorite is probably the Cap - add a little throttle expo and super realistic hovering practice - it's already helped me for hovering the real thing - AFP is an impressive flight sim...
Old 01-12-2003, 01:18 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Due to the inability for my Aerofly Pro to see my transmitter, I opted to fly it with my Sidewinder joystick, 1 stick w/ swiveling rudder control. It's very hard to 3D with the single stick. I find that my rudder control tend to over shoot. So when I am hovering the Giles2002TOC, it keeps on wiggling back and forth.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:49 PM
GaryB-RCU

...what transmitter do you have that it doesn't recognize?...
Old 01-13-2003, 06:14 PM
seanychen

JR 378. I have it in PPM mode, turned off the transmitter power, and plug in the interface connector. The program does not recognize my transmitter when I go to calibrate.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:29 PM
GaryB-RCU

...i'm using a Hitec Prism - same trainer cord as the JR - it seems to work fine...but i do notice that it doesn't recognize my flaperon setup mixing channels 2 and6...hmm....

...i haven't tried it with one of my Futaba transmitters yet...
Old 01-20-2003, 01:06 AM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

I saw that the add-ons has the PLProd Smaragd, so I have to have it now. I own a JR 10X and a JR 642, will these work (does anyone use either of these on this sim?). I would rather use the 642 for this, since I don't use it to fly with anymore. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:21 AM
seanychen

I spoke with tech support at Ikarus Germany. He seems to think that JR X378 has different DSC polarity than other JR's, thus the interface doesn't work. Well, Ikarus is sending me their game commander controller while they are figuring out compatibility w/ the 378, which they ordered one from US to Germany just to trouble-shoot. They are also giving me the expansion pack as a courtesy. I really have to praise them for their support. I should receive these tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I have been flying with Microsoft Sidewinder joystick. I actually got pretty decent doing 3D w/ 1 stick. I could hover the Giles for a while. I am still driven crazy by the rotating perspective when the plane gets too close overhead. I guess all sims are like this. What I need is a virtual reality set-up, w/ 4 monitors: front, left, right, and top, kind of like some arcade.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:23 AM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Thanks seanychen.

How much is the simulator and the expansion package? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:25 AM
seanychen

I am drooling over the Roland Matt Extra 300S in the expansion pack. I will see how it does when I get the package. Will it be a brown truck or a white truck, I know not. But a free package is always good to receive.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:33 AM
seanychen

Originally posted by Acroman330
Thanks seanychen.

How much is the simulator and the expansion package? Thanks.
Umm, I was told by Ikarus-USA that the expansion pack costs $40. But you wouldn't know this unless you actaully speak with them, because its price in US is not advertised anywhere.

As for the main software Aerofly Pro, Hobby Lobby sells the interface edition for $140, controller edition for $190. Hobby Lobby doesn't have the expansion pack yet. If you call Ikarus-USA, maybe you can work out some bundle deal with the expansion pack. They are pretty reasonable people.

Personally, I feel the Aerofly Pro is a lot more useful for practice. I fly the G2 @ LHS and am very disappointed by the lack of realism. Even with the Cap 2X I am having problem hovering. On the contrast, I can hover the Giles in Aerofly with a joystick. This will keep me practicing during the cruel winter here at Detroit. I probably don't get to fly again until at least Febuary .
Old 02-06-2003, 05:06 PM
dirtstripper

Hello! could anyone tell me what their battery life is using their radio with the aero fly pro??i have a futaba conquest 6 channel TY ED
Old 02-06-2003, 05:37 PM
GaryB-RCU

...you can go quite a while in between charges - it's really not a problem with my Hitec Prism computer radio and i would think it would draw more amps than your Futaba Conquest...

...my problem is i can't get the flaps or spoilerons to work on the simulator when i set them up on my radio - anybody got any ideas?...
Old 02-06-2003, 06:05 PM
seanychen

Maybe Ikarus can come up with a patch to assign separate aileron using different channels. Then we can do spoileron.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:01 PM
dirtstripper

anybody out there know which flight simulator works WITHOUT using the radio battery?? saw it somewhere but cant remember which simulator it was! TY ED
Old 02-07-2003, 07:52 PM
GaryB-RCU

...i didn't know a transmitter could send signals (control inputs) to your computer without a power source of some kind; ie. transmitter battery...
Old 02-11-2003, 06:34 AM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

Hi guys,

I am trying to use my 8UAP with the AFP but seem to be having problems caliberating it properly. When I touch the rudder or throttle, it causes the inputs to go haywire at times. Not sure what is going on. Anyone have similar problems??

I do have the expansion pack and it is at $40. Very nice simulator and it feels more real than G2.

Azhar
Old 02-14-2003, 03:45 PM
quitflyin
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by azhar
Hi guys,

I am trying to use my 8UAP with the AFP but seem to be having problems caliberating it properly. When I touch the rudder or throttle, it causes the inputs to go haywire at times. Not sure what is going on. Anyone have similar problems??

I do have the expansion pack and it is at $40. Very nice simulator and it feels more real than G2.

Azhar
I had the same problem at first, make sure you are calibrating it correctly... when it says move to extreme limit, it means SLOWLY circle the stick around to its limits, then let it recenter before hitting the OK button...

I was initially holding the stick to an extremem position and was getting same problem as you are getting...

Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2003, 05:52 PM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

Thanks Capt,

I think I figured out what was wrong. My 8 UAP has a bad trainer jack. I tried my ZAP and it works great. I am really enjoying the Sim.

BTW, did you try and download an aircraft and use it? I downloaded the YAK55 and followed the installation instruction but can't get the sim to see it? Is there something I am missing?

Azhar
Old 05-27-2003, 02:13 PM
n7tb

Where can a person get the shareware/freeware aircraft design programs that will design planes for AFP?

From what I am reading it looks like AFP is the one to buy for realistic flight characteristics.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 05-28-2003, 01:52 AM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

where are you all downloading airplanes from? I want to get some

Santi
Old 05-28-2003, 08:02 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at http://www.rodeo.onlinehome.de/ for AFP models

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.