Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

why do you use simulators?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

why do you use simulators?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:59 PM
drone pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do you use simulators?

I know there are a number of flight simulators out there and each has its own following. I am curious as to why you use your sim. Here in Oregon the wet (no fly) season has started and I use my G.P. G-3 to refresh my memory as to my flight skills (?)and keep them current. Is that your purpose, or do you use it for entertainment or????? Cliff
Old 11-10-2006, 08:24 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: why do you use simulators?

I buddy-box beginners. I suggest to them that they use a sim for the same reason all the major airlines run simulator departments for their pilots.

For myself, I get a kick out of flying. Out doors or inside. At the field or on the pc. So when I can't get to the field, I use the sim to fly my Skybolt. The sucker on the Sim looks just like the one I fly at the field. I've been trying to learn more aerobatic maneuvers. Never cared to do most of them before, but for some reason, they're more fun now. So I'm learning them with the sim. And the sim's models fly pretty much just like my "real airplanes".

I've "painted" a couple of the sim airplanes to have the paintjobs that're on my models. Their Ultimates didn't have the purple WorldModels paintjob that's on my little Ultimate 40S, but now it does. It took me an hour or so, but now I can fly it on the pc. And I did my Phoenix Sukhoi 31. And my KYOSHO P40 Warhawk. And my 40size UltraStick. And it's amazing how much more fun it is to fly on the sim what you fly in the real world. And it's just a touch more fun in the sim world when they not only fly the same but look the same.

Why do I use sims?

It's fun and a learning tool and is there when it's raining.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:21 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with out a doubt the sim has helped with my flying ability, the weather in San Francisco is not always the greatest and life sometimes gets in the way of fly time. I would have to say that the sim has nearly doubled my ability in the time that I have been using it.

I really see it when I go to the field and put the practice to work all the extra stick time, being able to plop down in front of the screen when ever it suits me and rip off a few flights, throw down some maneuvers I would not try with my real planes and pulling them off or crashing madly is huge for developing skills.

to be able to try all the planes and all the variety going to the field last weekend I pulled out a plane that I had not flown in a while it was as if I had not even missed a day in the air did a few low passes that before I would not have even gone for, they were not even that low but the crowd seemed to like it.

to top it off its super fun just to goof around with .
Old 11-10-2006, 05:08 PM
pappy35

Same reasons as those above plus I want to start flying helos and I think the sim is the way to go for basic skills practice.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:35 PM
drone pilot

Sounds like sim's are more than just a time filler. I do use mine to fill in some spare time though, and along with some of you try out differen't planes. Used to do some slope soaring and I like to fly the gliders on G-3. I do suggest to students that they practice as much as posible on the sim, if they have one. It seeems to help them quite a bit when they get out to the field. Can't afford a jet, but try my hand with the F-86 and I think that even helps with flying porp planes.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:37 PM
dirtdiver07

Sims are worth their weight in gold. I fly airplanes and helicopters 3D in both and I can only say that because of my simulator. I flew airplanes for the longest time, but I wanted to start flying helicopters so I flew them on the simulator alot. Within a year I was already doing aerobatics and beginning 3D with a Raptor 50 and now a couple of Trex's. I do not think that I would attempt alot of maneuvers if I had not tried it on the simulator first. Especially when I first learned hurricanes it was actually more difficult on the sim, so when I went to do it in real life it turned out to be easier and I loved it.

Nathan
Old 11-26-2006, 07:46 AM
gobysky

I learned to fly RC planes back in the days when all we had was a buddy box connection. Can't believe all the needless crashes we suffered. I think that's the single most reason that inhibited the growth of this hobby. People went out and bought this toy plane for their "Johnny", and thought it would be nothing more than child's play to fly it. Couldn't have been more wrong.

The smartest thing the RC industry did was to develop the simulator. I never would have spent the money on a helicopter if it had not been for the Simulator.

So why did I spend 200 bucks on a good sim? So I'd save a 1000 bucks or more in crashes. Just plain simple math.