Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Please Read Befor buying Used Realflight

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Please Read Befor buying Used Realflight

Old 02-12-2003, 11:38 PM
larrylwill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Read Befor buying Used Realflight

If you buy a used copy of Realflight you MUST have the seller call or email Realflight to release the serial number. If he does NOT do this, you will NOT be able to register the software. Without registering the software you can NOT get any upgrades including the Windows XP one. If it don't play on your computer and you need the upgrade your SOL. Real flight can be very finicky to get going on your computer.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:14 AM
larrylwill

More update. I have found out that there are many problems with RF G2 and winXP and certain release versions of G2. If you get one you MUST update the software, If you cant register it, you cant update and tech support wont help, Its good for nothing.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:25 AM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Thanksk,
That is very good informationl. I have been shoping for this and was not aware of this information.
With this in mind, I will not buy using MO or any other unsecured form of funds. Considering that most sell a used software for nearly full price, perhaps the few extra dollars for new may save even more money.

Thanks again,

Jared
Old 03-01-2003, 09:58 PM
larrylwill

I made 2 calls to RF Tech support. The first call resulted in the woman telling me I should have thought of this problem before I bought used software, however on the 2nd call I got Wayne at tech support, he was a whole different story, very cooperative and helpful. He asked for the serial numbers of the 2 cd's I had, it was determined that one (the G2 CD) was NOT registered to the guy I bought it from and was considerer a pirate copy. BUT and a big but. He said if I sent him the cd's he would send me out a new copy of a single G2 cd. I did and he did. Now I have a working RF G2. BTW the person that I bought from off this board NEVER answered any further emails private or otherwise about 10 in all. He knew he was selling something he didnt register from the get go. I even told him that he had to transfer the registratin to me befor I bought, he remained quiet. I should have known better.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Flyer91
My Feedback: (4)

This is total misinformation.
Many people have been buying second hand RealFlight software for years, with no issues.
Yes there are some versions that need upgrading via the web site to run with certain OS's, but that is no biggie and will happen even if it was brand new from GP, and .... they do not request any information to do so other than normal entry of serial numbers to confirm that it isn't pirated, when you do the install.
Let me ask you this.
EXACTLY what version are you unable to use so far.
In other words "what 'exactly' happened when you tried to run the software?
Or are you 'advising' people with no hands on experience, and only the word from some "slightly above minimum wage customer rep"?
Old 03-03-2003, 12:01 AM
larrylwill

If you bought a used copy, as I did and the seller did NOT transfer the serial number as DICTATED to me by Tech Support at RF then you can NOT download the patch or upgrades.
When running the control panel and I clicked upgrades it asked me for my name, serial number and password. IF the Password does NOT match the serial number than your out of luck. The original register gave his or her Password when they registered it. Had they given it to me, there would have been no problem, but since they were not the original owner of the G2 Upgrade CD they never gave anything to me, nor would answer any emails when I asked.

It would NOT allow me to d/l the upgrade or patch. So my first call to tech support netted some woman telling me I should have thought of this problem before I bought used software and I would have to get the original owner to release the serial number by calling or emailing RF (they never did).
On my second call to Tech support it was determined that the copy of G2 that I got was considered a PIRATE copy by them and they would NOT let me register it at all. Seems the person that sold it to me was not the original owner.

I spent more than 5 hours trying to get it to work on my computer and reading 100's of messages on their BBS, and 2 calls to their Tech support. BEFORE I came to these conclusions.

Link to the knowledge base.
http://www.gpsoftware.com/realflightg2kb.shtml

Using Windows XP with the original RF and original G2 upgrade I bought used resulted in this error.

"Q01-1048: After upgrading to Windows XP, I now receive a "KE Internal Error 39572" when attempting to run the simulator."

After getting the new copy I got

"Q01-1012: I get nothing but a white/orange screen with sounds in the background."

Referred to Grey or white screen in BBS complaints. RF issued a PATCH for Nvidia Video cards.

After downloading the patch and upgrades (Yes even though they sent me the latest CD there were still about 5mb of upgrades to d/l).

I now can use the simulator.
I am running a Geforce2 Pro Video card w/64mb, Win XP pro, 1gb DDR Ram, AMD XP1800 cpu, MSI KT3 Ultra MB.

RF BBS

http://www.gpsoftware.com/discussionboard.htm

My Warning is Very easy to understand.

IF YOU BUY A USED COPY, YOU MUST GET THE SELLER TO TRANSFER THE SERIAL NUMBER TO YOU OR RF WILL NOT LET YOU UPGRADE OR REGISTER THE SOFTWARE. ACCORDING TO THEIR TECH SUPPORT. Call and ask if you don't believe me.

Although you may be able to circumvent that with several calls to Tech support as I did and others have done. However I had to mail them my copies and they sent me back a new copy of the program.

I'm just saying be careful. There are millions of combinations of graphics, sound, memory, MB, etc. No program is expected to run correctly on every one.

I am not complaining about the software. In fact I think its great, just the problems in buying a used copy as many on the RF BBS have also done.

Nothing I said was bad information. Just check out the RF BBS and call tech support for confirmation. Or believe Flyer91, and take your chanches.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:01 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh well, you can purchase "realflight" with cable for less than $35 in China, so I was told by a colleague there, and it runs fine........
Old 03-03-2003, 08:05 PM
WheresMyPlane

Love G2 but HATE the *****h01&$ at the support center. I completely agree about their copy protection etc mumbo jumbo they give you, but give us all a break - G2 will NOT work without the controller plugged in! So what is the problem? Obviuosly the original owner gave me the software so come on.

I also got ahold of this [email protected]^*# at real flight who gave me the same story. I dont care how good a sim is - with sh1^^y support products die.

They really need to get a clue.

I guess this is more of a customer service issue than anything else.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:10 PM
larrylwill

I have it running on 2 different machines, One with the game port controller and one with a MS Wingman controller. Both run fine, however neither would run without the upgrades.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:07 AM
pirate one

I bought g2 used. needed the updates to make it work. did not have the password. Nor did the guy I bought it from who bought it from someone else. ONE call to tech support (wayne) who checked into the situation asked me to call back in a couple of days. When I did he reset the password for me. I have since worked with another tech person (mary) several times and have received nothing but excellent service from them. All in all they have one of the best tech supports I have had the pleasure of working with. As far as the rest of the team I cannot speak but the ones I worked with were great.

pirate