Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

flight simulator "X" [full size]

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

flight simulator "X" [full size]

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Hurri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flight simulator "X" [full size]

I have flt sim; "X" for full size . everything works great except the throttle control / i can't get enough rpm's on it . take offs are on 1/2 power . loops won't get over the top . even the cub has to given a dive 1st to just get over . I have a logitech Wingman controller . on an HP Vista comp; have put the controller on the test & the slider for the throttle goes to both ends . even on the keyboard the F3 for eng; power still is low revs . so that would show that the trouble is not the controller ? don't want to buy a new controller if thats not the trouble . am about to get Windows 7 installed , but can't see that helping any .
SO- does anyone out there have the same FLT sim "X" & can tell me if the throttle works ok . Thanks a lot / Hurri
Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 PM
FreeFlier

Default RE: flight simulator

I'm using an rc transmitter for control of FMX, but the following should still apply:
Fire up the sim and click settings - it's on the first screen that appears - but you can also get settings while in the game, I believe. Next click calibrations/calibrate/properties/test - do the test - then settings. Follow the the steps (since I'm using an rc tx, "press button" means hit space bar for me, yours may be different. When done click "apply" and ok. That should give you full throttle range, and other controls should be centered.

If you've done all this and no go then I'm out of ideas. I've never used anything for FSX other than an old Hitec tx and an old usb interface no longer made, so other controllers are out of my experience.

By the way, full throttle on my keyboard is F4.

Good luck getting the sim set up, it's been quite a hoot for me - along with nine other sims (all rc).

Maybe some help.

Stew
Old 11-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Hurri

HI FREEFLIER. thanks for reply . I did all the checks on the controller set up & all were good . except as i said the throttle lever although showing full throw each way never gave full throttle . flying the Extra 300 is ridiculous . Anyway I am interested in your saying you use a spare tx from your radio . I have a spare futaba 6 ch , so is it easy to connect to the flt sim "X" & use it ? What plug ends would i use ?I am not a tech ; type guy so make it simple for me . sounds like a good idea - alot cheaper & probably better way to fly too . - thanks again Hurri
Old 11-16-2009, 08:53 PM
FreeFlier

Hi. Hurri,

Sorry about not having more of an idea what your throttle issue might be. And I'm sure you'll need a usb interface/cable to let you use your Futaba tx, but do not know which one. My usb interface is 8 or so years old, it's mfgr long out of business, and as a $100 piece of hardware seemed excessive back then, but it's allowed me to operate all the sims that don't require a proprietary interface, and has been flawless since purchased.

I'd suggest searching on the Microsoft flight sim forum - hardware - but may be difficult since most of the people using that sim do not use rc transmitters for control. But, someone there may have better answers about using your Logitech controller for FSX.

However, it is possible that a simple usb transmitter used for sims like fms, clearview, etc. may work as well as my rig, and be a lot less expensive; just not sure about that. That of course is not the same as using your Futaba tx, which would be real nice, but I'm thinking doing that will require some serious searching to find the right cable/interface.

Anyway, wish I could be more help.

Good luck,

Stew
Old 11-16-2009, 09:29 PM
FreeFlier

Hurri,

Take a look at this guy's cable - should bring your Futaba up as a joystick which works with FSX:

http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....roducts_id=261

I'd send an e-mail to tom just in case, asking if it will do what you want. And check the end for shape and size before you buy.

Stew
Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Hurri

HI STEW, Thanks for the help . Just called the hobby store & he tells me one can get a cord that plugs into the trainer outlet on Futaba tx & has usb plug on the other end to go to the comp; . think that is what is shown on the web you sent on . ? thought i could join a trainer cord to a usb cord end , but store says not that easy . Think the using a rc tx would be ideal , messing with the Wingman controller I have to get the throttle working right has been a pain . Many thanks again . I think you have hit the nail on the head ALAN
Old 11-17-2009, 03:54 PM
FreeFlier

Alan,

Seems like good advice, and despite all the effort, the result is worth it.

Have fun - and the training aint bad either.

Stew
Old 11-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Hurri

HI STEW, Had a thought about using the 6 ch Futaba instead of a legit controller . with the controller I can hit a couple of knobs on the control; stick that shows outside of plane different flying shots [behind, side etc ] inside the cockpit whereas the futaba will only give me flying shots using the main 4 controls -elev, rudd thrott; ail . won;t this cramp my capabilities ? It was the f4 for the eng;up also f2 decreases it .
Any thoughts on the using futaba instead idea ? Thanks Alan
Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 PM
FreeFlier

Alan, yes of course the controller will give you the ability to use FSX, and other full-size sims in a much more complete way than the rc transmitter. I use my hitec tx for FSX and many other sims simply because I am an rc modeler, although I love any machine that flys. So I look at full-size sims for the visual impact of the aircraft and the scenery that literally covers the world.

But the guys that do full-size simming go far beyond what I do; including using yoke and pedal assemblies, and column and pedal sets that look very realistic - to me anyway. And I've seen some of the virtual cockpits built in basements, rec. rooms, and even living rooms that look very much like the real thing. Of course some of this equipment is expensive, but if you want the ability to make use of the sim in a way that mirrors flying a full-size aircraft, with all the bells and whistles, the right stuff is the only way. In general this is not my thing, but I sure like to see some of these creations.

If you look at the forums you'll see everything that is available, and as much advice as you need as to how to use it.

Try these to start:

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s...&showforum=121

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Hope you find something interesting in all this.

Stew

Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Hurri

HI STEW , Some interesting stuff on the webs you sent on . I do know a guy with as you describe sitting in a seat & has the rudder pedals , everthing as full size , but rich for me . I am correct in saying that you sometimes fly using the tx from you r rc unit & othertimes using it with the legit controller ? When you use the rc tx is it pretty well like
i see the model flt sims in the store ? if so - how does the set up on the comp; with the rc tx work ? do you get a side view of the plane & fly like normal flying rc at field ? can you change the view with it ? do you have both the rctx connected & the flt sim controller connected at same time & just revert from one to the other ? this would be good way to do it if that works .
Thanks for your interest in the help & info . hope I"m not bothering you too much appreciate the info & help . ALAN
Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 PM
FreeFlier

Hi. Alan,

I've never used any controller other than my Hitec Focus and Prism txs, and proprietary Realflight and FS1 txs, which came with the sims. I also have a GWS tx which is usb and is intended for FMS, but also can be used with other sims that do not need restricted interfaces: I take this one with my laptop when away from home.

What you see on your screen should be the same as what you saw in the store, depending of course on your hardware, and the sim.

The set up is different for each sim. FMS, some of the others uses a usb tx, connected to a usb port on your pc. The controller then needs to be seen and configured in the game controllers window - get this from the control panel in your pc., then configured in the sim itself. How to do this is explained in each sims information files, and usually is reasonably straightforward. If you have no sim now try FMS; its free and though no longer supported with updates, etc., it gives a reasonable idea how to obtain and use a simulator. Get a usb interface - I suggest the GWS unit - search on line for it, and download the latest ( thelast I'm afraid) here:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

Although FMS is unsupported by the authors, there are thousands of additional models available at this site - you'll need to register but it's free:

http://www.rc-sim.de/dl_engine_eng/index.php

As far as views of the models in the sims: simple sims like FMS give a fixed position view or a view from behind the model (following but fixed) More complex sims like FSX give you the ability to view from all around the model - outside - as well as in the cockpit, including up - down, and around 360degrees. Other rc sims range from many outside, inside, etc. to follow, pivot all around the outside while flying, top down, bottom up, about as much as you might want. The more expensive the product the better everything will be; kind of like life itself.

Some of the proprietary txs can be connected to your tx using a cable that matches the trainer port plugs on both; not all allow this i.e., FS1, which appears to be unsupported any longer - after a very nice start - has no way to connect to any other tx, but Realflight does. Phoenix - a very well supported sim, and just taken over by Hobbico, used a proprietary cable and will work with many txs - see list on their website. If using your tx connected to a proprietary tx you can always disconnect the cable and use the restricted tx by itself, but any changes made in your unit will, of course, not function.

Not sure the above is of use to you; I am certainly no expert in these areas, but through stumbling, looking, and makes untold numbers of errors, I've had a good time with about 10 sims for the last 10 years. Hope you get something out of all this, and by all means if you've not tried any of the freebees, definitely try FMS.

Best wishes,

Stew

Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Hurri

HI STEW, You sure have looked into these sims for me . Think this will be my last e/ml to you - enough of bothering you . many thanks . anyway was into the store today . & one can'tbuy the cable for the rc tx to the comp . apparently they say that people are copying the disc & then can get a free model flight sim; . so they won't sell seperately . also there is a small electronic box that goes bewtween the comp; & the tx .on that cable - so that is needed also . So looks like my idea [yours?] of using the tx for the microsoft sim "X" wont go . so either get a new controller for the "X" which I,m not sure will correct the trouble . or maybe buy a model flt sim;
anyway appreciatte your help & thoughts etc . best regards ALAN
Old 11-20-2009, 02:59 PM
FreeFlier

Alan, still no where near bothering. Most hobby shops do not have the cables, or a very small selection. My feeling is most do not want to be bothered as there are many items to stock, and a lot of required knowledge. I think the only way to get what you need is on-line. Toms' is well known for a long time as having all lot of the equipment needed for rc sims - give him a try for sure:

http://sim.tomsrc.com/news.php

Also, this web site has sent me many items over the last few years, although not sim materials, but I'd certainly buy this cable from him - check the trainer port plug on your Futabs tx, if that's the way you want to go, check for shape and maybe number of pins, if mentioned, before you buy:

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products/GW...2C-SQUARE.html

Allerc is also a long time supplier of rc equipment I trust, and he's got a lot of sim cables, etc.:

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...59d8d765e3806a

In general names GWS and Esky will have sim txs and cables that will operate most non-proprietary rc sims as well as MSFS FSX, and earlier versions through a usb port on your pc. There are lots of choices available and lots to learn about flight simulators in general. Do the research, hit the forums, and learn everything you can; it will save disappointment as well as shortening the learning curve.

Something I forgot about that might save some hassle: if you decide to try FMS only download the very latest version from the website - this for many reasons, and if your pc is fairly recent - less than 3 years old - and your operating system is windows vista, and your graphics card uses an Nvidia graphics chip, FMS will be pretty much unusable. If interested in why, hunt around on the FMS website for reasons. Other graphics hardware will be fine. The other sims all indicate what hardware will be needed and should be looked at.

Good luck, and best wishes.

Stew

Good luck
Old 11-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Hurri

HI STEW, thanks yet again , think i will sit on it for a bit . I saw the cord from Toms you mentioned . never saw mention of the little electronic box that supposedly is on the cord . I looked at the one at store that goes with the flt sim for models , pity i couldn't try it to see if the idea of using the rc -tx for the full size one would work . I did download the PMS & because i have a Vista it said that there was a "part" missing to run it . Remember too years ago I did get a disc given me of the PMS . awaiting a free upgrade from HP to get windows 7 from Vista . I just bought the new comp; & as nearly new qualify for the hp upgrade to Windows 7 . Will look into a new controller after that to see if improvement over the Wingman . also looking at the Great Planes real flight model sim; there is Basic for around $110 or the better one for $210 . a lot of trainers on there though so am wondering whether I would tire of it quickly ?
in the "Flypast" full size mag from UK there is a write up on a new WW1 game , its at "www.riseof flight.eu " also www.simulation4u.com / is around 40 euros [ 60 $ ] wonder if it is out over here ? looks interesting . would need a decent controller for it . Do you know Toms well enough that they would tell you if what he sells -cord for the tx transfer- would work for me ?? Thanks Alan
Old 11-21-2009, 08:35 PM
FreeFlier

Hi. Alan,

No, I don't know "Tom" at all, and I doubt anyone at the site is ready to answer questions; could be wrong. Toms' though is well known for having good, basic cables and accessories for non-proprietary sims - like FMS.

The message you received regarding the "missing part" is referring to a .dll file that needs to be found on the internet, downloaded, and placed in the FMS folder and possibly in the .dll cache. If you want to go with the very basic FMS, go to the website and search for "missing .dll" - this will get you to that file. You will still need either a TX type interface or cable that fits your Futaba tx to use the sim. FMS though can be played with the keyboard, but that is not a very satisfactory way to play the sim. Don't forget though that if the graphics chip in your pc - either part of the motherboard or added on, is Nvidia the image is not really nice to look at - if the operating system is Vista. If you look around on the FMS website all of these details are available, and have caused some people to be quite upset

But if you want to go with something like Realflight or Phoenix, they both come with interfaces - Realflights is a very realistic Futaba copy and has all the bells and whistles, and The Phoenix interface is a cable with built-in box that connects to your own tx and then to a usb port - they both connect through a usb port on your pc. Each of the "high end" sims have all necessary info on their websites, and come with many landscapes and aircraft and helicopter models. Yes, any of them will eventually become boring if being thought of as a game, but if used for training they never seen to get that way. And Reaflight now has various kinds of combat and other games that can be accessed in multiplayer - on line - with others. I'm still trying to figure out how to use some of these games.

Yes, I've seen many combat type games - flightsim.com has a forum section that deals in these games; take a look.

Alan, it seems like you're ready to jump in, just need to make a decision. Remember to research until you make a decision you will be happy with, and one that will work for you.

Good luck,

Stew