Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Real Flight G3 on Windows 7

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Real Flight G3 on Windows 7

Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM
trainer25
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Flight G3 on Windows 7

I am trying to install rf g3 on windows 7 but its not working. i will enter the cd the auto install with come up then itll ask if i want to install realflight. I click yes then my computer asks if i want to allow this i click yes then nothing. The install wizard used to come up and load then disappear then nothing but not even that. I have tried running in safe mode, tried running as administrator, even used the install fix file on the site. Still nothing. Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 AM
dbcisco
Banned

Default RE: Real Flight G3 on Windows 7

Install XP.

Win7 and Vista are merely ways for MS to sell its new programs. The software industry can't make money if everybody keeps using their perfectly good programs for more than 3 years.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:20 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey db - you must still drive a model T. Since you'd never pay for upgrades how can MS evolve a piece of software. Now, if you paid MS $100 a year I'm sure that they would have upgraded XP to the same level of support for all of the great hardware and software that is enjoyed by many today. If XP works for you and your model T - fine - rock-n-roll. But if you want 8 Gb RAM, Terabyte disk drives, fantastic video, etc. - gotta pay the guys that are doing the work.

trainer25 - I'm running RF 3.5 on my Win 7 x64 machine. No problems installing. I loaded all of my installation CDs onto my hard disks (3 Tb) and use a virtual CD rather than using the hard stuff. Great Planes published a program "GreatPlanesInstallationFix.exe". Don't recall the description but to get Windows to recognize the setup.exe program I mount the CD then execute the program - the installation takes off and running. The description on GP website doesn't exactly match your problem but it might well work. PM / email me if you can't download it and I'll zip a copy to you.

Also, if for some reason RF G3 doesn't run on 7, Windows 7 has a virtual PC capability where you start XP up as an application under Win 7. You are booting XP up under Win 7. You install the G3 on XP and let Win 7 deal with your updated hardware & drivers. Takes a bit of work but it will allow you to run old software whose architecture is incompatible with the Win 7 architecture.

HTH

Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: SeamusG
.... But if you want 8 Gb RAM, Terabyte disk drives, fantastic video, etc. - gotta pay the guys that are doing the work. ....
Also, if for some reason RF G3 doesn't run on 7, Windows 7 has a virtual PC capability where you start XP up as an application under Win 7....
8 Gb that you can only access with a 64 bit application. Terabytes of disk space and fantastic video that I already have with XP. What 64 bit apps do you run?
Yes, you can run some 32 bit programs (that will run slower than in XP) and as a last resort use a virtual OS (to make them even slower.)
There is no advantage to most users using anything more than XP/32.
There is very little you can do with Win7, Vista or XP/64 that you can't already do with XP/32 actually there is a whole lot less.
Been there before with OS2, DOS 4 and Windows ME. As if MS didn't ever make trash! At least back then they admitted it.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

db - who's paying you to trash MS? Or do you just do it because you can?
Old 05-20-2010, 03:02 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to take this any farther.

Personal preferences are just that. And we've got opposing ones. About a topic that really isn't a model airplane topic or a simulator topic.

Chill
Old 05-20-2010, 03:19 PM
dbcisco
Banned

I don't hate MS. I am a faithful user of XP. I am simply pointing out the realities of Vista, Win7 and the 64 bit OSes. They are great if you need them, the reality is that most people (esp. home users) don't need anything more than XP/32 and that Win7 and Vista (almost identical under the hood) are in many ways inferior to XP in my expert opinion (CompTIA, Oracle and Cisco certified with over 30 years experience in IT).
No need to take it personally.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:33 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And no need to continue to discuss MicroSoft in a thread about a flight sim.

You were asked to stay on the G3/Win7 topic.

This thread is closed.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:52 PM
SKuhn68

[QUOTE=SeamusG;9747014]hey db - you must still drive a model T. Since you'd never pay for upgrades how can MS evolve a piece of software. Now, if you paid MS $100 a year I'm sure that they would have upgraded XP to the same level of support for all of the great hardware and software that is enjoyed by many today. If XP works for you and your model T - fine - rock-n-roll. But if you want 8 Gb RAM, Terabyte disk drives, fantastic video, etc. - gotta pay the guys that are doing the work.

trainer25 - I'm running RF 3.5 on my Win 7 x64 machine. No problems installing. I loaded all of my installation CDs onto my hard disks (3 Tb) and use a virtual CD rather than using the hard stuff. Great Planes published a program "GreatPlanesInstallationFix.exe". Don't recall the description but to get Windows to recognize the setup.exe program I mount the CD then execute the program - the installation takes off and running. The description on GP website doesn't exactly match your problem but it might well work. PM / email me if you can't download it and I'll zip a copy to you.

Also, if for some reason RF G3 doesn't run on 7, Windows 7 has a virtual PC capability where you start XP up as an application under Win 7. You are booting XP up under Win 7. You install the G3 on XP and let Win 7 deal with your updated hardware & drivers. Takes a bit of work but it will allow you to run old software whose architecture is incompatible with the Win 7 architecture.

Now THAT is a worthwhile and productive answer to this question. Thanks bunches. I had the same question and never even thought of the virtual OS angle.