RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Flight Simulator Software (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/)
-   -   FMS Flight Problems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/734442-fms-flight-problems.html)

SlickCE 04-30-2003 02:53 PM

FMS Flight Problems

I got FMS to get some time on while saving up to buy a plane..

I have a Skysport4 Futaba radio and the interface cable, and it works great for me.

I have discovered some problems which I am thinking I may not find under a true flying condition.

I have a continual problem with finding the end of the active... if I do numerous flyby's I can finally get lined up correctly, but then I end up setting down before I get to the active. I have found that I have to use rudder to stay lined up when I am at low altitude,if I use ailerons recovery is too slow and I drag a wing.. and then I have found that I use throttle to stay in the air until I am just over the runway and chop throttle and flare to set it down right.

My problem is I am unsure if this is the way I am going to have to do it when I start trying a trainer for real. Is this really the way I should be learning to land?

It was a sure crash for me at first trying to fly inverted until I figured out the elevators inputs are reversed when inverted.. but I'll save my questions on that till another time :)

darenm 04-30-2003 08:19 PM

FMS Flight Problems

IMO it's nothing like the real thing. yes flight controls and what not are the same, but even the best of us have trouble landing straight on the runway. I'm not sure about other sims but FMS is really hard to get the bird on the runway. the eaisest way is to hti "c" which will put you behind the plane so you can see the runway. But then your not in a true flying posistion, so it's a toss up. For more planes, visit www.comeparkfly.com/simulator.html just got in the Avistar for FMS. Flies just like mine.

Steve Lewin 04-30-2003 09:05 PM

FMS Flight Problems

If you're intending to fly your trainer with your head in a cardboard box with just a rectangular hole cut in the front then the simulators is quite realistic ;).

Otherwise you'll find that having peripheral vision and the wind on your back makes orientation and finding the runway much easier. However the rest of what you describe sounds not far off. You should be using throttle to control height and you often need both rudder and ailerons at low level, though that depends on the plane.

Steve

SlickCE 05-01-2003 12:06 AM

FMS Flight Problems

I have been looking for an Avistar, and can't seem to find one.. I could not find one at the URL you listed.. guess I need a more specific pointer :)

SlickCE 05-01-2003 12:14 AM

FMS Flight Problems

Finally found the Avistar.. only one problem :) It sounds like a jet :) ROFL

Wright Flyer 05-01-2003 12:59 PM

FMS Flight Problems

Lining up for the runway is much harder in FMS than in real life so don't worry about it. One thing you can do in FMS (which also works well in real life model flying) is to pick a tree or something in the distance that is far out on the extended centre line and use that to line up for the approach. After a while you'll find that in FMS you don't need to see the runway until you're virtually on it. In fact even flying full size planes is like this. As long as you set up for a good approach the actual landing is easy, what you don't want to be doing is making wild control inputs to bring it back on line at the very last minute - when I flew Cessnas my instructor showed me an approach where he trimmed the aircraft for landing and was able to fly down with his hand just hovering over the yoke and took control about 5 foot above the ground for the flare. Good approaches = good landings.

Cliff

Steve Lewin 05-01-2003 02:11 PM

FMS Flight Problems

Because of this general orientation problem I've often noticed that people who have done a lot of simulator work before they get out into the real world to fly get used to flying waaaaay too low (so they can see the trees/hills etc). It's not a really good habit to get into ;).

Steve

Bill DCat 05-01-2003 08:28 PM

FMS Flight Problems

Originally posted by SlickCE
Finally found the Avistar.. only one problem :) It sounds like a jet :) ROFL
I fixed this by copying one of ther other plane's .avi files to AVISTAR.AVI... I thought that was kinda weird when the avistar sound like a jet too :bananahea

Bill

SlickCE 05-02-2003 12:21 AM

FMS Flight Problems

I have not been using anything for markers, but I have noticed it is slowly getting easier to line up on the active.. however I think it is only because I am getting used to the runway.

I am thinking I will take my digital camera to the field I will be flying on and make myself a landscape in FMS of it.

I will try overwriting the .avi file to fix the sound.

I find the Avistar trainer much harder to fly than many of the other amatuer planes.. mainly because the aileron and rudder input seem to be so limited in the Trainer.

WhooHOO! Got my AMA card today, getting closer to the first try! :)

darenm 05-02-2003 03:18 AM

FMS Flight Problems

SlickCE here's the correct Sound file for the Avistar Trainer.
Avistar Sound File
Just delete the avistar.wav in the model folder and copy this one. Also below in the next post is the URL for the the Tiger Trainer.

darenm 05-02-2003 03:20 AM

FMS Flight Problems

Tiger Trainer For FMS
http://myweb.absa.co.za/eric.brouwer/images/trainer.jpg

SlickCE 05-03-2003 02:06 AM

FMS Flight Problems

Thankjs Daren.. I appreciate it.

Eric Brouwer 05-04-2003 04:21 PM

FMS Flight Problems

Have a look on my web . I have placed a longer runway as well as some extra trees to assist with easier landings. Simply download the files, and extract them to the FMS/Landscape directory.

It will ask if you want to overwrite existing files, select yes. If you want to revert back to the original senery, they are also available on my web.

http://myweb.absa.co.za/eric.brouwer/images/newrun.jpg

http://myweb.absa.co.za/eric.brouwer/images/newlan.jpg

darenm 05-04-2003 11:48 PM

FMS Flight Problems

hey Eric Brouwer, what plane is that on the second picture you posted? do you have that file avail for download? thanks.

Eric Brouwer 05-05-2003 05:34 AM

FMS Flight Problems

Hi Daren

It looks like the SU-26, which comes standard with FMS.

oex 05-26-2003 11:27 PM

FMS Flight Problems

FMS could use a "Ground in View" option like the one in G2. It gives a better view of keeping the runway in view and a better perspective on the plane.
Bill

ifly3dd 05-28-2003 01:03 PM

question about controls

Hey guys,
I have a question about FMS. I am using the Logitech Wingman controller (which would be perfect if I could take the spring out of the up/down on the left stick to use that for the throttle). Anyway, on takeoff, the planes tend to roll to the right, and will also lose altitude without constant correcting. Is there a way in the program or calibration setup to trim the models?
Just wondering.
Thanks

dega500 05-28-2003 01:39 PM

FMS Flight Problems

Hi doubled313,

I asked that same question awhile back and it went unanswered. Get you an interface and fly away. Good luck!

Mike

tubbyboy2006 06-05-2003 03:25 AM

FMS Flight Problems

are the heli's on the fms flight sim actually fly like the real thing?

Wright Flyer 06-05-2003 11:55 AM

FMS Flight Problems

Originally posted by tubbyboy2006
are the heli's on the fms flight sim actually fly like the real thing?
No, nothing like the real thing but, because they are so easy to fly, it's a good place to start learning. When you get the hang of controlling them in FMS then download www.preflightsim.com which has a much more realistic (harder!) heli simulation. When you can fly those OK you are ready to try the real thing.

Cliff

majawh 01-13-2006 01:19 AM

RE: FMS Flight Problems

Hello, I have just purchased the Esky Flight Simulator on ebay. I installed the FMS software and it works just fine with the keyboard. However, it comes with a transmitter that has a 9 pin serial port and my computer does not have one. I went to Radio Shack and bought a usb to serial port adapter, installed the driver, switched to different types of connections on the FMS, but nothing. The transmitter does not move the planes or heli's. Any suggestions? Has anybody else had this problem? I hate to return it. It looks pretty cool.
majawh

spadalltheway 01-13-2006 03:07 AM

HAHA, i made that tiger trainer a LONG LONG time ago, quite a few yrs ago, i also made a tigetr sport. Wow its amazing that these are still circulating around the net :) i havent made amodel for fms in ages though......thats cool, wow

Thanks, Nathan

Lost in Rc

EDIT, i trhink my tiger sport is on the flying baers site, under some folder, by MR Weis (me) just lettin u know

Link to tiger sport http://www.flyingbaer.de/fb-dl/TigerSport.zip

majawh 01-14-2006 12:44 PM

Has anyone bought the Esky Flight Simulator from Ebay? I am getting desperate. No where on the net can I find someone to help me fix my problem. Would appreciate anyones help.
majawh

n8mkr 12-29-2007 11:48 AM

Eric:

I really like your "basic trainer!!!" Thank you. I think this is perfect to train myself and my children. I like its mellow handling and realistic feel. Althought it is prettier, I like the Tiger Trainer 2nd best. Both are very nice.

Thank you so much.

John

hdking46 01-03-2008 10:56 PM

maja have same esky box and cant get it to work on fms, works with clearview when calibrated, hope someone answers this problem[:@]