RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Flight Simulator Software (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/)
-   -   I tested out the G5 at the store today, it was pretty good but.. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/9417508-i-tested-out-g5-store-today-pretty-good-but.html)

dbcisco 02-01-2010 10:33 PM

RE: I tested out the G5 at the store today, it was pretty good but..

FMS is a free program, download it [link=http://n.ethz.ch/~mmoeller/fms/index_e.html]HERE[/link]

Get the Version 2.0 Alpha 8.5 It works great on XP.

It may need some microsoft dll programs to run on Vista and Win7. Runs fine on all my XP machines though. Just google FMS Win7 and sift for the fixes.

rc airplane nut 02-01-2010 11:02 PM

thanks

nickt916 02-03-2010 05:00 PM

finally got it goodness!! it only took 3 weeks to get here!! ... label says it was printed on the 25th, which is stupid because i paid on 11th... i got him to finally get me a $25 partial refund. So i basically ended up getting this thing for about $150 or with the 8% (bing.com discount deal. (bing is having 10% off deal now)

so... i got to try this sim out, its running pretty good on my laptop at high to med settings. During crashed its slugs a bit, but its not a big deal as long as during flight its smooth.

i wish there was some sort of timing record, for training... for example, training in hovering the heli, you get a circle to hover in, it would be nice to have a timer, so you can see how long you hover and how much you improve over time.

im not sure if there is a way to download free planes, havent looked into that yet, but i love the bigger planes :)

rc airplane nut 02-03-2010 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: nickt916

finally got it goodness!! it only took 3 weeks to get here!! ... label says it was printed on the 25th, which is stupid because i paid on 11th... i got him to finally get me a $25 partial refund. So i basically ended up getting this thing for about $150 or with the 8% (bing.com discount deal. (bing is having 10% off deal now)

so... i got to try this sim out, its running pretty good on my laptop at high to med settings. During crashed its slugs a bit, but its not a big deal as long as during flight its smooth.

i wish there was some sort of timing record, for training... for example, training in hovering the heli, you get a circle to hover in, it would be nice to have a timer, so you can see how long you hover and how much you improve over time.

im not sure if there is a way to download free planes, havent looked into that yet, but i love the bigger planes :)
Go to [link=http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=337]this[/link] link. Then click on "aircraft models" after you pick out the one you want, click on the aircraft name, then click on the yellow question mark beside the file name and follow the instructions that come up. You can download the aircraft made for G4, G4.5, and G3.5 too.

jrcaster 02-13-2010 01:57 AM

Try this, it is the add-ons 1 - 5. It gives you a bunch of planes, helicopters, and fields.
http://www.realflight.com/new/addons.html

arnold1943 02-14-2010 12:52 PM

I tried Fms free software; it was totally useless. I flew it with the keyboard until I finally got a controller that would work; still useless. My opinion of FMS software was very low at that point. Than I bought FS One -Hangar nine- My computer wouldn't handle it. Then I bought RC Planemaster for $39.99. I am well pleased with it. I've been flying it for over a year now and I still love it. The beauty of it is that you have to have the disc inserted to play it so none of those ka-jillion mega-bytes is on your hard drive. I flew real flite at the hobby shop for the first time the other day and I could'nt tell that it flew any better than mine, but I'm sure it had more aircraft choices than mine. But for the difference between $39.99 and 200 bucks, well, I like RC Planemaster. The ironic thing is, RC Planemaster is actually FMS based software.

Bonified Wingnut 02-14-2010 01:38 PM

Without FMS it would have cost me a fortune to teach myself to fly. Even though I have Realflight G5 FMS is far from useless. Any sim that teaches orientaion and is FREE is worth every penny.-BW

dbcisco 02-14-2010 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: arnold1943
....I tried Fms free software; it was totally useless.....
....The ironic thing is, RC Planemaster is actually FMS based software.
I was wondering what you meant by "totally useless". I have it running great on several systems with a variety of TXes.
I am also wondering how you know RC Planemaster is "FMS based".

arnold1943 02-15-2010 06:51 AM

It's been a long time since I tried to use it but the main thing was you couldn't find and land on the runway. You'd be looking for the runway and ,zoom! there it went! as if you were doing about mach 39. I uninstalled it. It's hard to relate specifics except that it was impossible for controlled flight. RC Planemaster fms based? I'll have to go back and research that, too, it's been over a year since I installed it. I'll get back with you. I seem to have ruffled a feather. Do you have something good to say for fms free software? I'm all ears. Maybe there are other fms free softwares out there that really work, I don't know. But I know the only one I could find was a joke.

Bonified Wingnut 02-15-2010 10:29 AM

arnold1943 theres no anger here. Sometimes you have to look at things in a different way. For instance on FMS you can't see the ground(like you said) and you have to remember where the runway is. That is difficult yes but it also teaches you to realize where your plane is at all times without reference. This is great training that makes flying for real easier.-BW

dbcisco 02-15-2010 10:53 AM

It also depends on your view/zoom settings esp. uncheck autozoom.
I love FMS, it has some faults but so do the expensive programs.
I would rather be annoyed with a few problems for free rather than pay $200 for the priviledge.

arnold1943 02-15-2010 01:08 PM

No anger here, either, B.W., it was just kinda tongue in cheek, just kidding around. But back to sims, I may have never seen the version you guys are talking about. I got rid of it so I can't go back and look at it now but I don't remember it having settings on it at all. It was pretty primitive. It was like you were flying on a platter with no horizon; if you flew off the edge everything went white and the plane would go spastic. There was a blue sky but it didn't come all the way to the ground.

Ed 02-24-2010 03:22 PM

Listening to you guys, I'm just about convinced to buy G-5, and a new computer to support it. I've never had a Sim before, so what else do I need ? Can I use one of my old 4 or 6 channel Futaba Tx's, together with just a buddy cord, or will I need a USB cord ? Maybe a USB cord comes with it ? Please advise.

Thanks > Ed

dbcisco 02-24-2010 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: arnold1943
.... if you flew off the edge everything went white and the plane would go spastic. There was a blue sky but it didn't come all the way to the ground.
That sounds like a real early version.

dbcisco 02-24-2010 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Ed

Listening to you guys, I'm just about convinced to buy G-5, and a new computer to support it. I've never had a Sim before, so what else do I need ? Can I use one of my old 4 or 6 channel Futaba Tx's, together with just a buddy cord, or will I need a USB cord ? Maybe a USB cord comes with it ? Please advise.

Thanks > Ed
RF comes with its own controller which is made by Futaba (Just the case and sticks, not the radio parts). You can use a different controller but the RF one has to be connected because it is a part of the copy-protection.

rc airplane nut 02-24-2010 06:00 PM

Yes, it does come with a cord that will attach to your radio if your radio has a place to plug in a buddybox. You connect one end to your radio and the other to the rf controller.

Ed 02-24-2010 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

RF comes with its own controller which is made by Futaba (Just the case and sticks, not the radio parts). You can use a different controller but the RF one has to be connected because it is a part of the copy-protection.
Well that sounds perfect, I'll be alright then. Are those recommended Real Flight Optimal Performance requirements OK to go with ? Will they do a good job, and should I ask for a INVIDA video card, as a friend suggests ?

Ed

CurveHips19 02-24-2010 08:48 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Check out a short video i made of me at:
http://bit.ly/csBt3S
Let me know what you think!!
Watch it now!!

Thanks..xox

dbcisco 02-24-2010 09:01 PM

This is what realflight G5 site says:

"Optimal System:
For best graphical performance
Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU
2 GB RAM
3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory Pixel Shader 3.0 support"

I have better than their "Optimal System" and it couldn't even run G4 with highest details.
Realflight/Knifeedge is notorious for posting misleading requirements.
If an "optimal system" can't do G4 to the max, I don't see how it can do G5.

Ed 02-24-2010 09:06 PM

"Optimal System:
For best graphical performance
Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU
2 GB RAM
3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory Pixel Shader 3.0 support"

Yes ...... This is why I am asking. Is what Real Flight lists above good enough, or should I ask the computer salesperson for something better ?

Ed

dbcisco 02-24-2010 09:49 PM

Ask on knifeedge forums. They can tell what you need for the max performance and detail.
I gave up on G4.5 when I was told I needed a new computer and a $200+ video card although I already had the "optimal".
I sold G4 and picked up Reflex XTR for $10 for Heli practice. I use FMS (Free) most of the time due to the 50+ WWI aircraft for it.

Ed 02-24-2010 09:53 PM

When I go to the computer store to buy a new computer, are there any particular name brands, and model #'s that I should be looking at ?

dbcisco 02-24-2010 10:30 PM

I build mine. The last pre-assembled computer I bought was a Compaq laptop six years ago, it still runs fine (even the battery is still good). Compaq is now run by HP.
I had several Dells in my lab. The eight year old ones (12 of them) are still running but the three year old ones (24 of one model and six of another) are all dead (motherboard capacitors blew-up, DVD and hard drives died).

dbcisco 02-24-2010 10:35 PM

BTW, XP/Vista/Win7 32 bit OSes can't use more than 4 Gigs of ram so unless RF G5 can run as a 64 bit program on a 64 bit OS more than 4 gigs of memory is a waste of money. A 64 bit CPU acts just like a 32 bit CPU unless it has a 64 bit OS running a 64 bit program. A CPU in 32 bit mode can not address more than 4 gigs of ram.

Ed 02-24-2010 10:56 PM

So what do I ask for at the computer store ? ? ?

Do I ask for a "Gamming Computer", with FS Optimal Requirements ? ? ?

What is a preferred brand ? ? ?

Please understand that I am computer illeterate.

Thank you .

Ed