Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

Shell Advance Racing M - Anyone in Oz know this?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Shell Advance Racing M - Anyone in Oz know this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 06:28 AM
DerFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell Advance Racing M - Anyone in Oz know this?

Hello in particular to Aussie modellers. Could this be a rival for our beloved Castrol M?

Shell Advance Racing M
A high performance castor/synthetic, SAE30 oil for 2-stroke and 4-stroke racing motorcycle engines. Shell Advance Racing M is specifically formulated for highly stress conditions experienced in speedway motorcycles and go-karts burning alcohol/methanol fuel mixtures. The castor/synthetic blend ensures longer life than a straight castor oil. It can also be used in separate 2-stroke and 4-stroke race gearboxes. Available in 1 litre and 4 litre
Old 08-01-2003, 03:28 AM
downunder-RCU

That's certainly worth looking into. One of the foreign sites shows the flash point is 272C or 521F which is well above most synthetics so that's a good start. The next thing of course is price...Castrol M has jumped incredibly lately. I think my last 5 litre can was about $80 (Aus) where a couple of years ago it was only about $30. However, it's probably the best castor in the world.

I'll try to find a 1 litre bottle and mix up a batch similar to my standard fuel (20% all Castrol M, no nitro) then do a back to back test on one or two engines checking head temps and revs.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Woody 51

I tried some of this when I worked for Shell at their Geelong Refinery a few years ago. (Company discount etc)

I found it carboned the engines up more than I liked, so switched to "Proglow" blended Synthetic. ($A 50 for 5 litres) and found it better.

But your expectations may be different to mine.

I now use Coolpower, but only because I got a real good price on the last lot I bought.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:04 AM
russellk

I looked into fuels the other week, and spoke to the technical consultant at Shell who suggested their Shell Racing M product, however, it worked out at $15.67/litre (in 4l tank), whereas VP Racing Fuels have a dealer in Liverpool who sells Klotz KL200 synthetic for $14.30 a litre (4l tank), and I can get Castrol M is $12/litre (in 5l tank) from the local dealer.

The price different isn't great, as I'm only looking to use 3% castor and 15% synthetic, but over a few litres, the difference adds up, and I kind of feel more confident using these well-proven oils.

BTW, the Shell guy said that the Racing M mix was 35% syn, 65% castor.

Russell.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:34 AM
DerFly

Default Oils aint oils!

Thanks guys, this was more of a plea to find a replacement for the venerable "M". In the meantime, I have found a source for Castrol M (A$58 / 5l) which is what I really wanted in the first place.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:49 PM
downunder-RCU

You can't go wrong with the M