Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

LEO .46 Glow Engine - home made fuel

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

LEO .46 Glow Engine - home made fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:12 AM
sheko_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEO .46 Glow Engine - home made fuel

hello,

i will start breaking in the leo .46 engine, i was thinking about using home made fuel 20%Castor oil + 80% methanol because i will use 5 tanks and i don't like towaste thecommercialgallon on that

i was searchingaroundfor home made mixtures and i've seen lots of posts saying that ABC engines fuels is different

actuallyi didn'tunderstood what will be the difference in OS and ABC engines fuels (leo engine manual says that itstypically ABC engine)

so please advice what is exactly the difference ?
this home made mixture can do the job properly or not?

Old 12-05-2010, 06:38 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LEO .46 Glow Engine - home made fuel

Not to worry, that fuel will be perfect for running in your engine. That's the fuel I use in all my engines (ABC, ABN, ringed etc) to fly with except for engines with iron pistons where I use 25% all castor.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 AM
sheko_2000

thanks

but any special tips for breaking in this engine ?

Old 12-05-2010, 02:50 PM
moe7404

i have been mixing my own fuel for almost one year. what people dont understand is if you mix 8 oz of methanol and 8 oz of nitromethane you DO NOT get 50% by 50%, has to do with molecule size. mixing your own is NOT easy. save your self trouble. buy your fuel premixed. there is NO good reason to mix it your self.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
sheko_2000

i made some calculations about the prices i found that mixing fule wont save any cost
in egyption punds 4 liter original 5% nitro fule costs 115 EGP roughly 21 USD
the mixture with 0% nitros will cost 100 EGP almost 17 USD which is nothing to save

i guess its a bad idea now and i will go for the original
Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: moe7404

i have been mixing my own fuel for almost one year. what people dont understand is if you mix 8 oz of methanol and 8 oz of nitromethane you DO NOT get 50% by 50%, has to do with molecule size. mixing your own is NOT easy. save your self trouble. buy your fuel premixed. there is NO good reason to mix it your self.
What you said is true if you were using ounce as mass but the accepted method is by the strange American measurement of volume as fluid ounce. Although fuel is mixed by volume, the engine itself is tuned by the combined mass of nitro/methanol/air(oxygen) but we don't have to worry about that, tuned is tuned .

I've been mixing my own fuel for over 50 years but because I don't use nitro it's just a simple matter of mixing 1 litre of castor with 4 litres of methanol to get 5 litres of true FAI fuel. For iron piston engines (and for running in) I mix 1 litre of castor with 3 litres of methanol for 4 litres of 25% oil. The FAI fuel costs me a little under $10 per US gallon and the 25% oil costs about $11 per US gallon because of the higher price of the oil. The advantage of mixing yourself (apart from being much cheaper) is that you know what's in your fuel.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM
moe7404

to:downunder i have said this so much iam getting tired of it. i do NOT mix by volume, or oz or weight.. i mix by specific gravity, ie hydrometer. thats what i was trying to say. iam not going to post about mixing my own fuel any more.