Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

BYRON fuels question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BYRON fuels question

Hi,
recently, the (new)Byron Fuels became available in my area. My search didn't turn up much about their quality etc.

Any comments are welcome!

thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: BYRON fuels question

Byron's fuels have been around a long time. They have a good reputation. Use with confidence

http://www.byronfuels.com/

Old 01-03-2011, 10:56 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ihave been using Byrons this summer since my LHS doesnt stock SIG fuel. The Byrons is OK but a little light on the lube and nitro. I did some back to back testing against SIG fuel and the SIGconsistently made more power despite both fuels having the same nitro percentage. Actually the SIGshould have made less since the SIG fuel has more lube percentage(20% versus 18%).
This leads me to believe the Byrons is blended by percent of weight not volume. This method although legal will give you much less lube and nitro resulting in less protection and power.
Am Isaying Byrons is a bad fuel !! NO and let me be more clear NO!!! it runs OK in all the engines Ihave used it in , it just doesnt have as much lube and nitro as other brands. Iprefer fuels with 20% lube like SIG Champion either 100% castor or a 50/50 blend when Ican get it.
I would probably not use the Byrons for break in, SIG sells a 25% lube all castor fuel that is my favorite for breaking in engines.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:47 AM
vasek

No Sig fuels in my neck of the woods! I'll be adding few drops of castor to the byron mix then just to make sure.

thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 AM
jeffie8696

Just an ounce or two would be a great idea but remember when you add oil it decreases the percentage of nitro and methanol , not by much but just be aware it may make the engine tune a little different. If you ordnarily use 10%nitro fuel you may want to increase to 15% if adding a little oil.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Jezmo

I have run and still run Byrons fuel without any oil added. My Raptor with a OS Hyper 50 ran longer on a set of bearings using Byrons unmodified fuel than it did with any other. The Byrons fuel used did contain some castor oil and IMHO the castor contributed to the extra bearing life as none of the other fuels I used in the Heli had any castor. (Hypers are notoriously hard on crank bearings) The fuel was used exactly as mixed by Byrons and made the same power as some other brands tried in the same nitro percentage range. I do agree with Jeffie's point of view on mixing by weight leaving you with less nitro and oil, but I have ran my stuff with oil contents much lower than 18% and never had a single failure. (I've even gone as low as 12% for one gallon and that engine still lives today and runs flawlessly)

P.S. For the sake of being open I have been using the Wildcat Premium Extra for the last year but mainly because I got a great deal buying in bulk and I am very grateful to Wildcat for making that deal available to our club.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
vasek

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

If you ordnarily use 10% nitro fuel you may want to increase to 15% if adding a little oil.
Great tip! THNX
Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding oil doesn't actually change the nitro/methanol part of the fuel. The easiest way to look at it is with a fuel that has, for instance, 10% oil and 90% methanol. The engine only burns the methanol so it's tuned to get the right amount of methanol going into it. Now double the amount of oil to make 20% oil and 80% methanol. You have to open the needle a little to account for the added oil but the engine is still tuned to allow the exact same amount of methanol going into it each cycle. In other words all the engine knows about is the methanol so it runs on 100% methanol regardless of how much oil is in the fuel. The same thing applies with nitro in the fuel. Say you had a fuel with 40% nitro, 40% methanol and 20% oil. There's an equal volume of both nitro and methanol (which is all the engine runs on) so no matter how much oil you pour into that fuel the proportions of nitro and methanol stay the same.

It's all in the way we're so used to seeing fuel labelled by including the oil content (which is certainly important). In that 40/40/20 blend you would say you were running 40% nitro but if you disregard the oil (which is only there to help keep the engine from destroying itself) then your actual fuel is really 50% nitro.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
jeffie8696

If you add any more of any component to a blend the remaining components become less of the total percentage. If you add oil to a gallon of fuel you will have more fuel but the nitro and methanol components will be proportionally lower.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 AM
vasek

both approaches seem logical in theory- so which one is it? any articles on that?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 AM
hauckf

Which is correct? They are both correct.

Jefie states, correctly, that adding more oil to a jug of fuel will lower the percentages of the other components in the final mix, and explains why in his post.

Downunder states, also correctly, that the final mix will produce the same power as it did before the extra oil was added, and explains why in his post.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:41 AM
vasek

I must have misunderstood then because what I understand is one is saying that:

adding oil will change the nitro % (so to negate this use a higher content of nitro to begin with and the other one explains there is no practical difference because the engine does not "see" the added oil so the nitro % is practically unchanged.

If one is correct the other one has to be wrong (?)

ORIGINAL: hauckf

Which is correct? They are both correct.

Jefie states, correctly, that adding more oil to a jug of fuel will lower the percentages of the other components in the final mix, and explains why in his post.

Downunder states, also correctly, that the final mix will produce the same power as it did before the extra oil was added, and explains why in his post.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
hauckf

Whoops, my mistake. I should have said that Jeffie's latest post on 1/5/11 and Downunder's post are both correct. I agree with downunder. There is no need to add additional nitro when adding additional oil to a jug of fuel. Like downunder explained, its the methanol (and nitro) that burn to produce the power, not the oil.

If you are adding the nitro because you think Byron's component percentages are calculated by weight and not by volume like just about every manufacturer's, then that's a whole different can of worms. The Byron fuel "percent by weight" issue has been beaten to death in this forum in the past. The one that I remember was about eight years ago, and I still have bruises from the beatings!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

byron gen 2 20% uses klotz lube.
from what i can tell it's the synthetic klotz as it does not turn brown once burned.
it leaves behind an orange thick synthetic lube and works awsome.