Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

Poll-What are you paying for Methanol, Nitro and Castor?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Poll-What are you paying for Methanol, Nitro and Castor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:12 PM
heavydriver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll-What are you paying for Methanol, Nitro and Castor?

What are you paying for Methanol, Nitro and Oil? -Prices seem to be varied depending on region..
Old 12-15-2010, 03:18 PM
ecf2010

Default RE: Poll-What are you paying for Methanol, Nitro and Castor?

Last summer, I bought a 5 gallon can of VP methanol for around 40 bucks from capital cycle center in Macon, Ga. I paid $7 and some change per quart of castor from Myatomic hobbies. They had free shipping for orders over $25. I think that they are out of business now, however.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:47 PM
makoman1860

Around here Methanol is between 3 and 5 bucks a gallon. Nitromethane is about 35 a gallon, and oil varies on type. Castor is about 20 a gallon, and the better synthetics are around 30. So good ol FAI fuel is about 7 bucks a gallon.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 PM
moe7404

in wichita methanol by the gal, $2.75. local speed shop. 100% nitro from torco $48.0 a gal. castor oil LHS $7-8 might be a qt or half a qt. NOTE: do NOT try to mix your own nitro. there is NO advantage. if you mix 8oz of nitro and 8oz of methanol, you dont get 50%nitro, and 50% methanol. it has to do with with molecule size.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fuel is generally mixed and the percentages referred to are fluid once volume equivalents and not by actual weight
as a gallon of fuel only weighs around 100 oz actual weight and not 128 oz like a gallon of water.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:09 PM
moe7404

no its measured with a hydrometer.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:58 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what we pay for a gallon of 30% Byron here in Norway. http://www.modellers.com/hobby/Produ...-B2120044.aspx

445,- divided by 6 to get US dollars= about 74 $ a gallon

Luckily there`s less expensive options
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Liquids can be measured several ways, including by weight or by volume. A hydrometer can be used to determine the density of a liquid as Quoted from a dictionary -"A Hydrometer is a device used to compare the densities of liquids". Yes a Hydrometer "can" be used but it is by no means the "only" way. It is very accurate but for our purposes that level of accuracy is not necessary. It is used in drag racing circles to make sure a competitor doesn't have an advantage but a difference of 1 to 2 percent in our little engines would make no discernible difference in normal flight. Myself, I prefer to use the volume method but at least one major brand of glow fuel is mixed by weight.

Methanol varies between 2.50 and 3.00 per gallon here and nitro runs 40.00 per if bought by the gallon or 32.00 per if five of more gallons are bought. I don't run straight castor oil but rather use the Klotz Super Techniplate which generally costs between 12.00 and 12.75 a quart.

P.S. As I get older I find myself just paying the extra money and buying my fuel already blended. Last year I bought 4 cases of Wildcat Premium Extra (80/20 synth to castor blend) and got a pretty sweet deal. It was pretty close to what it would have cost me to blend my own so it didn't make much sense to do that. Some members of our club got together and our combined purchase was around 50 cases if memory serves me correctly; anyway it was a very good price.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Methanol here is $4.50/gallon last time I bought some. I buy the Sig castor from the LHS at $23/gallon. Haven't had to buy nitro as I've been diluting a case of 50% boat fuel down to 15% for a couple years now.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel has always been traditionally mixed by volume because it's the simplest way to do it, especially for home brewers which is how it all started anyway. Mixing by weight is more accurate because engines burn fuel (the methanol and nitro content) by mass and not volume so that eliminates any variation in content with any temperature change of the ingredients. This volume change with temperature is so minute it's of no concern to home brewers but I can see a manufacturer using weight. However, they should use weight to get the normal equivalent of the volumes we're familiar with even if they say it's mixed by weight to an equivalent volume at 20C (68F) which is the standard temperature. There's some concern that at least one manufacturer mixes by weight but at the same percentages normally mixed by volume. This shortchanges the fuel on oil and especially nitro content.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: makoman1860

Around here Methanol is between 3 and 5 bucks a gallon. Nitromethane is about 35 a gallon, and oil varies on type. Castor is about 20 a gallon, and the better synthetics are around 30. So good ol FAI fuel is about 7 bucks a gallon.
Where do you find Nitro in Oshkosh? I have no problems finding the Methanol and oil in the area.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 AM
RAYTELI
My Feedback: (113)

Methanol in the St Louis MO area is available at Seiveking, 4636 Waldo Industrial DR. High Ridge MO, 63049. I paid $2.75 a gallon today. (Mar 16 2011)