Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

what synthetic oils are out their?

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

what synthetic oils are out their?

Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 AM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what synthetic oils are out their?

what synthetic oils are out their, how much are they, and where could i order some?
im hopeing for stuff in the 25 buck per gallon range im not sure if they make anything that cheap
i know there is klotz but its expensive
im planning on mixing this 50-50 with castor so if its not the best oil i dont really care, also if their is something cheap that you have to buy in bulk, like 5 gallons for 100 bucks, im fine with that as well.

out of random curisoty i mixed valovoline 5w40 synthetic motor into some methanol and it mixed just fine and has stayed in solution for more than a month, i dont know if i could run my engines with that stuff mixed 50-50 with castor.....is it worth a shot?? i have a few old bushing engines i could try it on. its cheap....like 20 bucks a gallon....who knows if it will carbon like crazy though.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: what synthetic oils are out their?

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

what synthetic oils are out their, how much are they, and where could i order some?
im hopeing for stuff in the 25 buck per gallon range im not sure if they make anything that cheap
im planning on mixing this 50-50 with castor so if its not the best oil i dont really care, also if their is something cheap that you have to buy in bulk, like 5 gallons for 100 bucks, im fine with that as well.

out of random curisoty i mixed valovoline 5w40 synthetic motor into some methanol and it mixed just fine and has stayed in solution for more than a month, i dont know if i could run my engines with that stuff mixed 50-50 with castor.....is it worth a shot?? i have a few old bushing engines i could try it on. its cheap....like 20 bucks a gallon....who knows if it will carbon like crazy though.
If you're just looking for cheap oil to mix your own fuel, the best thing you can use is Castor oil. Synthetics work well, but when they vaporize and fly out the exhaust port, there's not much left to protect the engine. Running a 50/50 castor/syn mix is a good way to go, but the synthetics are expensive. You could use the automotive oils, but they are of a higher viscosity and may make fuel draw a problem. If it were me just experimenting, I'd try 0W synthetic oil (Thats Zero weight) instead of the 5W40. Theory being when the oil is cold its 5W and when warm its 40W but I think that multiviscosity stuff to be joke, really. (I may have it backwards but either way it may still be problematic..)

Why not just run all castor? Its $23 a gallon from SIG. You might even find it cheaper elsewhere. It does make a bit more of a mess, but engine longevity is key here. Model engines started running on all castor oil. Doesnt hurt a thing!

Just my readily available $.02
Old 03-20-2011, 11:22 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

If you're just looking for cheap oil to mix your own fuel, the best thing you can use is Castor oil. Synthetics work well, but when they vaporize and fly out the exhaust port, there's not much left to protect the engine. Running a 50/50 castor/syn mix is a good way to go, but the synthetics are expensive. You could use the automotive oils, but they are of a higher viscosity and may make fuel draw a problem. If it were me just experimenting, I'd try 0W synthetic oil (Thats Zero weight) instead of the 5W40. Theory being when the oil is cold its 5W and when warm its 40W but I think that multiviscosity stuff to be joke, really. (I may have it backwards but either way it may still be problematic..)

Why not just run all castor? Its $23 a gallon from SIG. You might even find it cheaper elsewhere. It does make a bit more of a mess, but engine longevity is key here. Model engines started running on all castor oil. Doesnt hurt a thing!

Multiviscosity works and has worked and will continue to work .

Some fallicies in teh above post. Sythetics protect just fine. Once an oil has left the exhaust port it no longer needs to protect does it....

The best synthetics out there would be the turbine oils by Fuchs, and Shell (AeroShell). More pricey than the stuff that goes into Klotz but a shed load better.

With ABC/N engines its always a good ideal to run a bit of castor (around10-20%, Morgans uses 30% in OMega) due to the lack of an oil ring to create sufficient hydrodynamic lubrication. In ringed engines, pure sythetic is fine.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimBle

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Multiviscosity works and has worked and will continue to work .

Some fallicies in teh above post. Sythetics protect just fine. Once an oil has left the exhaust port it no longer needs to protect does it....

The best synthetics out there would be the turbine oils by Fuchs, and Shell (AeroShell). More pricey than the stuff that goes into Klotz but a shed load better.

With ABC/N engines its always a good ideal to run a bit of castor (around10-20%, Morgans uses 30% in OMega) due to the lack of an oil ring to create sufficient hydrodynamic lubrication. In ringed engines, pure sythetic is fine.
I dont see it as a fallacy, as many in the past have said that synthetics don't hold a candle to castor in terms of protection and film thickness on the internal parts. Castor isnt needed 100% in most modern engines, but I bet they run a heck of a lot better on castor than they do on synthetics. Merely my opinion though. I don't mind the mess since the engine will last almost forever on the stuff.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:33 PM
downunder

Actually all engines, regardless of type, rely on hydrodynamic oil pressure because that's the only method to keep the oil film between the liner and the piston sealing area. In tapered bore (ABC type) engines the pressure generated expands the liner and compresses the piston so there's no pinch once the piston is moving fast enough that the oil doesn't have enough time to get squeezed out. Even at a very low idle speed the piston moves more than fast enough. Rings "oil ski" over the film so the hydrodynamic oil pressure doesn't need to be as high as in an ABC because it only needs to be enough to overcome the ring tension.

Castor is better though because it likes to "stick" to metal so is much harder to squeeze out from between the working surfaces. This applies not only to the piston/liner but also both rod bushes and plain bearing crankshafts which all use hydrodynamic oil pressure to keep them seperated.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 AM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mix my own fuel, I use 100% castor, problem is it sticks to everything. I mixed a 50-50 blend (useing a 20/20 wildcat fuel) just to see if it made a dfference in castors "stickyness" and the oil was much easier to wipe offthe plane and didn't gum up my engines as bad. The only reason I'm really using symtjetics is to make the castor less sticky...i agree that castors the best out their for the price....
Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: downunder

Actually all engines, regardless of type, rely on hydrodynamic oil pressure because that's the only method to keep the oil film between the liner and the piston sealing area. In tapered bore (ABC type) engines the pressure generated expands the liner and compresses the piston so there's no pinch once the piston is moving fast enough that the oil doesn't have enough time to get squeezed out. Even at a very low idle speed the piston moves more than fast enough. Rings "oil ski" over the film so the hydrodynamic oil pressure doesn't need to be as high as in an ABC because it only needs to be enough to overcome the ring tension.

Castor is better though because it likes to "stick" to metal so is much harder to squeeze out from between the working surfaces. This applies not only to the piston/liner but also both rod bushes and plain bearing crankshafts which all use hydrodynamic oil pressure to keep them seperated.

all lubricants are polar. is just the degree of polarity that is altered through the additition of polar anti wear addtives. Synthetics has more than enough polarity to do the job well in areas where the hydrodynamic pressure is low. ringed engines are able to retain a greater volume of oil for the hydrodynamic effect. Castor simply provides viscous drag.