Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

paint thinner OK in nitro container?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

paint thinner OK in nitro container?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 AM
fgibson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint thinner OK in nitro container?

Is it OK to store paint thinner in an old plastic nitro fuel container? I want to usea metalpaint thinner can for nitro fuel, basically swap them out. My concerns are 1. will the thinner melt the plastic?I've seen thinner packaged in plastic containers but is it adifferent type of plastic? 2. Will the thinner suffer any degredation from being exposed to light in the nitro jug?

Hope this post is not too far off thetopic for this forum.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: paint thinner OK in nitro container?

ORIGINAL: fgibson

Is it OK to store paint thinner in an old plastic nitro fuel container? I want to use a metal paint thinner can for nitro fuel, basically swap them out. My concerns are 1. will the thinner melt the plastic? I've seen thinner packaged in plastic containers but is it a different type of plastic? 2. Will the thinner suffer any degredation from being exposed to light in the nitro jug?

Hope this post is not too far off the topic for this forum.

Thanks

You'll want to get the thinner container cleaned out thoroughly, but it should be fine. I have a gallon of paint thinner that came in a plastic jug. Look on the bottom of the plastic jug/bottle and see if it says "HDPE" with a #2 inside the recyclable emblem. If so, its fine. High Density PolyEthylene is a very tough, durable plastic capable of housing some gnarly stuff. Paint thinner in itself is a pretty tame solvent. Acetone and Lacquer thinner is a different story, even though I've seen those come in plastic bottles too.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 PM
fgibson

Yes the nitro container does have HDPE 2 on the bottom.  Just to be safe, maybe I'll store the plastic jug in a 5 gallon bucket for a few days.  That way if it leaks it won't run all over my basement. 

A couple of weeks ago, I did experience acetone eating the bottom out of a plastic container on my workbench.  That's one of the reasons I wanted to check.

Thanks for the information!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yes the nitro container does have HDPE 2 on the bottom. Just to be safe, maybe I'll store the plastic jug in a 5 gallon bucket for a few days. That way if it leaks it won't run all over my basement.

A couple of weeks ago, I did experience acetone eating the bottom out of a plastic container on my workbench. That's one of the reasons I wanted to check.

Thanks for the information!

My nitro bottles are all HDPE and my thinner bottle is HDPE also. I wouldn't worry about it - putting it in a bucket isnt necessary. I use paint thinner at work all the time and it comes in a clear HDPE bottle. The tricky part will be getting all of the paint thinner out of the can that you plan to put nitro in. Paint thinner is a distillate from Petroleum and I am not sure if it will just mix into the fuel or sit on the top/bottom (not sure of thinner's weight in comparison to methanol) of the fuel.

I do think its a good call to store nitro fuel in a metal can for long term storage because sunlight will break the nitromethane down.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 PM
fgibson

This is actually the second thinner can I've used.  The first one was almost empty so I just put the leftover thinner in a glass jar.  I looked for empty metal cans but they were pretty much impossible to find locally.  I recently came back to this hobby after a 17 year absence and back in the late 80's almost everyone used metal cans.  My flight box is old and the section that holds the fuel will only accomadate a metal can.  I needed a second can because I use two different fuel types.  By using seperate cans, it's easy to swap them out and use the same Dave Brown pump which is mounted to my flight box.

Anyway, it does take a little time to remove the thinner that gets stuck in the bottom but it didn't cause any contamination issues with the first can so I don't anticipate any with this one.

What surprises me a little is that cans are not more popular and/or recommended given the nitro breakdown from sunlight.  Kind of reminds me of the old darkroom chemicals I had to keep in brown bottles.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

This is actually the second thinner can I've used. The first one was almost empty so I just put the leftover thinner in a glass jar. I looked for empty metal cans but they were pretty much impossible to find locally. I recently came back to this hobby after a 17 year absence and back in the late 80's almost everyone used metal cans. My flight box is old and the section that holds the fuel will only accomadate a metal can. I needed a second can because I use two different fuel types. By using seperate cans, it's easy to swap them out and use the same Dave Brown pump which is mounted to my flight box.

Anyway, it does take a little time to remove the thinner that gets stuck in the bottom but it didn't cause any contamination issues with the first can so I don't anticipate any with this one.

What surprises me a little is that cans are not more popular and/or recommended given the nitro breakdown from sunlight. Kind of reminds me of the old darkroom chemicals I had to keep in brown bottles.
Most of the fuel I see in plastic jugs now comes in white jugs instead of the clear semi-transparent plastic jugs I used to see. Some fuel still comes in metal cans - Losi Nitrotane, and powermaster being 2 of them. I would assume its a cost cutting measure using plastic - its cheaper to produce than metal cans. The fuel company doesnt care if your fuel goes bad - that means you need to buy more. Thats just my opinion.