Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Nitro Fuel, where to get it??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Fuel, where to get it??

Nitro fuel, where do you get yours?

Local hobby shop is out of 15% - 20% and didn't know (!) when they were going to get more in. Red Max's website (fhsoils.com) is down (are they gone?) and Morgans Fuels site seems to be in the middle of a makeover and is useless. I have had mixed results with Tower's own brand of fuel. Bryon does not do direct orders.

Whats left??

Time to go gas maybe...

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Fuel, where to get it??

ORIGINAL: Twin_Flyer

Nitro fuel, where do you get yours?

Local hobby shop is out of 15% - 20% and didn't know (!) when they were going to get more in. Red Max's website (fhsoils.com) is down (are they gone?) and Morgans Fuels site seems to be in the middle of a makeover and is useless. I have had mixed results with Tower's own brand of fuel. Bryon does not do direct orders.

Whats left??

Time to go gas maybe...

Thanks,
Bill S.
If you're looking for gallon jugs, you will pay hazmat fees. Some fuel companies won't ship quarts so you're stuck paying $35-40 in shipping costs above the cost of fuel. If it were me, I'd contact SIG Mfg. and order from them. They will ship in quarts to avoid hazmat fees and their fuel is very good. www.sigmfg.com Their pricing isn't bad either.

You could mix your own fuel for about half the cost of premixed glow fuel also.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Twin_Flyer

Totally forgot about Sig fuel. I have used it in the past, and while my engines ran great on it, it was really messy compared to other brands, probably as the Champion fuel is 50% caster and 50% klotz synthetic. Too bad the all synth Syn-Plus isn't available in quarts. At least the Chamption in quarts is less then any other fuel I have found in the quart size.

Thanks for the reminder though! Its definitely where I will go next!

Bill S.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Twin_Flyer

Totally forgot about Sig fuel. I have used it in the past, and while my engines ran great on it, it was really messy compared to other brands, probably as the Champion fuel is 50% caster and 50% klotz synthetic. Too bad the all synth Syn-Plus isn't available in quarts. At least the Chamption in quarts is less then any other fuel I have found in the quart size.

Thanks for the reminder though! Its definitely where I will go next!

Bill S.
Unless you're flying a Helicopter, You'll want to shy away from full synthetic fuels. Castor is slimier than synthetics, but I swear one cannot go wrong with a fuel with at least a little castor in the mix. I run full castor in all of my glow engines.

The folks at SIG are great to deal with - I get my castor in gallon jugs from them.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:43 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Any hazmat on castor oil? (Just curious.)

Iskandar
Old 07-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Twin_Flyer

I doubt it, its not flammable or explosive.

Bill S.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 AM
spl

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

call S&W Fuels s-whobby.com
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: iskandar taib

Any hazmat on castor oil? (Just curious.)

Iskandar
Nope.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My LHS usually has two or three gallons of fuel for planes and cars on the shelf, so I don't generally have to worry about it....uhh, OP, check out Tower. They carry many popular brands and blends, and sell in both quarts and four gallon pallets.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:52 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Glow fuel in my area is insanely priced. Around me, the only LHS that carries fuel for airplanes with 5% nitro and 20% oil (50/50 cas/syn) only sell quarts and at $8 a quart, thats $32 a gallon. Even with nitro at $40-$60 a gallon, I can still make a 5% nitro 20% castor airplane mix for about $11 a gallon. I've already burned 2 gallons this summer. My car fuel is 20% nitro 12% castor and the going price for car fuel is $36-$40 per gallon depending on brand. I can mix my own car fuel for about $20 per gallon. I've burned 1 1/2 gallons of this. At least for me, I would have spent $118 on the fuel I've used this summer, and thats more than I spent on the 3 ingredients to make 6-9 gallons of fuel.

A few guys at my area hobby shops looked at me funny when I asked them to order some all-castor fuel, they made even funnier looks when I told them I can make my own all castor fuel for 1/3 the price they're selling their Sig Champion fuel for.

It might be messy, but I've noticed a huge improvement in performance in all of my engines using my homebrew fuel vs. store-bought premixed fuel. Torco sells pure nitro 20$ cheaper per gallon than the stuff I got so the next batch of fuel ingredients will cost me even less per gallon. I think its great, lol.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our local hobby shops seem to have no problerm getting glow fuel. Last Friday I was surprised to see a guy buy 5 gallon jugs of nitromethane at $39.95 a jug. I guess he is competing or something somewhere. Our glow fuel costs tend to be low enough to make it unreasonable to make out own too. I usually get Omega 5% or 10% if they run out of 5%. It serves me well. The Omega brand has a blend of castor and synthetic oils in it. But I also still have some Powermaster fuel cans too.

But I can feel for you guys back east. I don't know why they make it so difficult on you.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:39 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

www.gcbmrc.com
Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that one 5 gallon jug, or 5 one gallon jugs?  If the former I want to buy one. or several.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 PM
cutaway

I've been mixing my own fuel for over 30 years.

Now that VP Racing fuels is stocking 5gal cans of 50/50 nitro/methanol (~$100 for 5gal) doing any mix from 0% nitro to around 40% is a simply matter of doing some math, and adding the required oil and extra straight methanol.

VP's price for the 50/50 puts the cost of the nitro content in the $40/gal range with 2.5 gal of methanol being "free".