Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

Synthetic oils soluble in methanol besides klotz?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Synthetic oils soluble in methanol besides klotz?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Synthetic oils soluble in methanol besides klotz?

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

Unless you are getting your methanol and nitro for free...seems like it would be cheaper to buy regular commercial brand fuel rather than brew your own.
JC
Methanol is only about $3 per gallon, oil about $25, Nitro $45. So for 10% nitro the cost is $11.60. About $6 cheaper than the store sells fuel for.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

Unless you are getting your methanol and nitro for free...seems like it would be cheaper to buy regular commercial brand fuel rather than brew your own.
JC
Methanol is only about $3 per gallon, oil about $25, Nitro $45. So for 10% nitro the cost is $11.60. About $6 cheaper than the store sells fuel for.
My hobby shops sell 10/20 SIG Champion for $33 a gallon. 5/20 is about $29. Damn hazmat. I can make a gallon of 5/20 for about $12.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:12 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are lucky you can get nitro that cheap.... no one sells it down here otherwise id blend my own fuel too
Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

you are lucky you can get nitro that cheap.... no one sells it down here otherwise id blend my own fuel too
Order nitro from Torco. $50/gallon, FREE SHIPPING. That's where I got my nitro this year.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM
grant-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried using a detergent or soap as an emulsifier to mix regular 2 cycle oil with methanol?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been useing Avenger oil from SP lubricants for several years now with awesome results. I will never buy pre maid again as long as I have a nitro source.

http://splube.com
Old 09-18-2012, 03:03 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Synthetics are way too expensive compared to cheap old castor. I have 2qt of klotz that I'll use up and after that I'm gonna skip the synthetics. Just my opinion.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Synthetics are way too expensive compared to cheap old castor. I have 2qt of klotz that I'll use up and after that I'm gonna skip the synthetics. Just my opinion.
We buy synthetic by the case for about $25 a gallon. FYI, you can get castor a heck of alot cheaper at Tommy Carts than sig or Fox too, since they only charge $12 a gallon for 100% pure castor bottled by morgan fuels. Just letting you know.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

We buy synthetic by the case for about $25 a gallon. FYI, you can get castor a heck of alot cheaper at Tommy Carts than sig or Fox too, since they only charge $12 a gallon for 100% pure castor bottled by morgan fuels. Just letting you know.
Bakers AA first pressing?

I don't use even 1/2 gallon of synthetic a year; and I only use it in my RC car fuel.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Iflyglow

http://www.tommyskarts.com/Cat.Oils.htm
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Already looked at it. Doesn't say if it's first pressing. I sent an email to them to find out.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Iflyglow

Same stuff Morgan mixxes fuel with. Gocart racing engines are a heck of alt more expensive than our little toy motors. Iused there oil myself in my carts.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Same stuff Morgan mixxes fuel with. Gocart racing engines are a heck of alt more expensive than our little toy motors. Iused there oil myself in my carts.
Kart engines are more expensive, no doubt, but second pressing oil is nowhere near as good as first pressing - for any engine. All of my engines except a couple aren't made anymore and I care not to risk using oil that I'm unsure of its quality and risk burning an engine up because the oil wasn't up to snuff. I treasure my engines as if they were gold, and as such want my fuel to be as good as gold. (That may sound stupid, but it is what it is..)

Understand I'm not trying to pick on you... These days, I dont trust anybody. No offense. Just because Morgan uses it doesnt mean its a premium product. Bakers AA (first pressing) is the premium grade and is what I use. I just want a little verification that its indeed first pressing and if so I'll buy it to save money. If it can't be verified, I'll stick to paying a little more for something I know is good.

I appreciate the information. I haven't heard back from them yet, I'd assume I should hear back today or tomorrow.

I have enough oil to get through this winter and probably all next year so if I order more, it wont be until next summer at the earliest.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Iflyglow

You did not offend me. You can pay more for the same thing, it does not bother me one bit. We will continue to enjoy the vast savings. FYI, I have engines with well over 25 gallons through them, and they look and function like new.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

You did not offend me. You can pay more for the same thing, it does not bother me one bit. We will continue to enjoy the vast savings. FYI, I have engines with well over 25 gallons through them, and they look and function like new.
Hey man, we're cool. I dont need oil for awhile, but I have the Tommy Karts site bookmarked, so when I do, I'll try it out. I never heard back from them so I'll just wing it. I only burn 4-5 gallons a season right now, so a gallon of oil lasts me that long or a little longer. I'm currently feeding 8 engines, 5 on a regular basis. The .90 is the pig of the bunch.

Thanks for the help and info, it is appreciated.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

I will add my thumbs up to SPL Lube!!!
it is by far the best, highest tech synthetic available today for off road racing or model use.
As for a premium castor oil, SPL has that too, if its not on their website just call and ask.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Fuelman

I will add my thumbs up to SPL Lube!!!
it is by far the best, highest tech synthetic available today for off road racing or model use.
As for a premium castor oil, SPL has that too, if its not on their website just call and ask.
When I run out of Klotz, I'll look into the SPL stuff. I buy castor by the gallon, and I usually go in on a gallon of synthetic with a friend as he uses more of it than I do. I have 4 engines of the 8 I have that need a full castor diet at 25% content. The others are ringed or tapered bore and dont really care too much what I feed them. My car engines like running a 50/50 blend of castor and synthetic.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM
mgoodwin

Tommys Karts is out of morgan cast/syn. Klotz super is 56.00 Without shipping. Toy factory site is down Klotz super was $27.00 shipped gal pumped from a Barrel, probably an old barrel Spl charges $20.00 shipping for one gal of there oils. Roberts has the best price shipped $38.72 for Thor. Sig has Castor for $33.00 Gal shipped only $10.00 for shippng, Need to talk them into getting Thor. Of all the foreign and domestic synthetics that will mix with methanol, that includes turbine and refridgerant and domestic Castors. A klotz super knockoff at 37.29 a gal shipped was the best price I could come up with. Weather the quality is there I don't no. Before I pay 70 something a gallon plus shipping for a castor /syn mix I'll go straight Castor. I use about 7 gals of fuel in a normal year
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: mgoodwin

Tommys Karts is out of morgan cast/syn. Klotz super is 56.00 Without shipping. Toy factory site is down Klotz super was $27.00 shipped gal pumped from a Barrel, probably an old barrel Spl charges $20.00 shipping for one gal of there oils. Roberts has the best price shipped $38.72 for Thor. Sig has Castor for $33.00 Gal shipped only $10.00 for shippng, Need to talk them into getting Thor. Of all the foreign and domestic synthetics that will mix with methanol, that includes turbine and refridgerant and domestic Castors. A klotz super knockoff at 37.29 a gal shipped was the best price I could come up with. Weather the quality is there I don't no. Before I pay 70 something a gallon plus shipping for a castor /syn mix I'll go straight Castor. I use about 7 gals of fuel in a normal year
I use way more castor than I do synthetic, and the synthetic I've been using is straight synthetic and I make my own blends when I mix my fuel up. I either go 50/50 C/S or straight castor. Klotz is $39 a gallon plus shipping, If I order from Sig, I get either 2 gallons of castor or a gallon of castor and gallon of klotz. If Tommy's Karts sells straight AA grade castor by the gallon cheaper than Sig, I'd get a gallon from them. Klotz seems to be working fine, I dont use much of it anyway. I still have 1.5 quarts of the stuff and that will last me all summer next year and then some.

Any synthetic that costs more than $40 a gallon isnt worth it for what I am doing with it. Even at $40 a gallon, I sell 3/4 of a gallon to my buddy who uses more of it and I keep a quart.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: mgoodwin

I gues we got the last of the decent priced castor from Tommy Carts. When I ordered my last case from SPL, the shipping was the same for 1 gallon or 4.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Scota4570

I used some of this:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...troke-Oil.aspx

That was in big gassers. If gummed up the rings. It sure smelled nice tohough. Your's is a different application. I found mine in a store that caters to pocket bikes and dirt bikes. "Rock oil" also has a castor option. I think the pocket bike shop had some of that. A quick google search found castor for massage use. It was cheap.
http://www.soapgoods.com/Castor-Oil-Refined-p-226.html
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Scota4570

I used some of this:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...troke-Oil.aspx

That was in big gassers. If gummed up the rings. It sure smelled nice tohough. Your's is a different application. I found mine in a store that caters to pocket bikes and dirt bikes. ''Rock oil'' also has a castor option. I think the pocket bike shop had some of that. A quick google search found castor for massage use. It was cheap.
http://www.soapgoods.com/Castor-Oil-Refined-p-226.html
Thanks for the links. I run glow almost exclusively, and my primary lubricant is Castor. The little bit of synthetics I use are in my rc car engines only, and thats about 1-1.5 gallons of mixed fuel a season at 10-12% oil content, and thats a 50/50 blend of castor/synthetic. I prefer to not have any additives in the oil, so the 927 is out for my applications. The Castor from the soap place may or may not be first pressing, and its more expensive than what SIG sells it for. When I start getting low on castor, I'll call Tommy's karts and/or SP Lubes to get a gallon price from them.

The only reason I use synthetic oils in my car fuels is to keep carbon down. The airplane engines I run don't really carbon up much at all, so I don't worry about them. All castor is good for them anyway.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I've bookmarked a few links and will make some calls when I need more oil. So far, I'm pretty set until spring at least.